mtbr member

New question here. Pike Air + 08 XT 20mm wheelset = a good upgrade?

I was offered a 08 Pike 454 Air U-Turn and a pair of the new XT 20mm wheelset with XTR rotors (180F+160R) for my 06 Prophet 4000. Is it a worth upgrade over my Lefty Max Carbon and the Crossmax SL? I think I'll add a considerable extra pound to the bike, but wonder how better it will handle and tackle over rough lines, downhills and jumps. Anyone here who could compare both suspension and wheel set-ups? I actually don't have much problem with the XT wheelset over the SL, think they will be a nice upgrade to add strenght to the rolling set, but exchanging my Lefty for a Pike, for the better it could be, is still something I'm trying to get into. But any thoughts are welcome. Thank in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    [QUOTE=Black RONIN]I exchanging my Lefty for a Pike [QUOTE]
    Go wash your mouth out with soap and water

mtbr member
    Save your money and get some shop to service and tune your lefty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the pike is definitely worth it IMO. however, the 20mm xt wheelset is alot beefier than what you have currently. At nearly 2kg, it is more suitable for much heavier riding. That's your call though. I think better, lighter stuff can be had for less. Personally, I hate the lefty max carbon w/ SPV. the pike feels better and is probably the most reliable fork on the market. The dual air makes for some incredible small bump compliance (which if your fork is SPV, it probably sucks for this) and infinite tuning adjustments, and the u-turn is nice too. between that and the xc/fr swingarm positions on your bike, you have a whole lot of adjustment to play with. Hope you get it!

got the dhr...
    wow. I'm gonna get a pike 454 air u-turn, over my fox float 32 rl. And also getting an FSA gravity atb wheelset. I think you should go for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    the pike is definitely worth it IMO. however, the 20mm xt wheelset is alot beefier than what you have currently. At nearly 2kg, it is more suitable for much heavier riding. That's your call though. I think better, lighter stuff can be had for less. Personally, I hate the lefty max carbon w/ SPV. the pike feels better and is probably the most reliable fork on the market. The dual air makes for some incredible small bump compliance (which if your fork is SPV, it probably sucks for this) and infinite tuning adjustments, and the u-turn is nice too. between that and the xc/fr swingarm positions on your bike, you have a whole lot of adjustment to play with. Hope you get it!
    Yeah, I handled the XTs and they are burly, 26mm wide rims, very strong and heavy. They are WAY more than I'll ever need in my Prophet, if mine was a MX fine, but don't think I'll need that much on my regular Prophet. The Pike is sweet, though. It's kinda light, around 2050g w/ an uncutted steering tube, and I liked it. You're right about the small bump compliance of the SPV Lefty. It's almost non exixtent, I had the spring compression lowered a bit, but I had to get a little more sag to have it a bit smoother. But I wonder if the Pike can be that much stiff, at least at the wheel axle, because I know it won't be that much at the headtube.

But now I'm on hold here... On one side I love the Lefty, even the SPV. It's stiff, it's beautiful, it's everlasting and it's a Lefty (funny how saying that is already a good and self-explaining adjective and also the best reason you could have to keep it!) ! On the other I want some more tuning options, because I had a Revelation and that was a great fork with many setting options, and a easier fork to tune too (I actually had to desmount the Lefty to set the spring compression, and although substantially easy, that's a bit troublesome, because every time you set it and it's not in the right spot, you have to open it and try again...

Anyway, I asked my LBS if they can find a Crossmax ST 20mm or for a ST Lefty for me. I think it will be a better set, compared to the XTs, because they are strong enough for AM riding. Let's see which one they will get first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    Go wash your mouth out with soap and water
    I did, but it seems it just doesn't have enough water! OMG! I fell so dirt!

But I don't plan to sell the Lefty if I buy the Pike, so I think it will diminish the guilty I'll feel a little...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luseboy
    wow. I'm gonna get a pike 454 air u-turn, over my fox float 32 rl. And also getting an FSA gravity atb wheelset. I think you should go for it.
    Aren't they FLEXY? Gosh, it's like having spaghetti in front of your bike! I insisted in spec'ing my new 575 with a 32 TALAS RLC (I copied the XTR spec version Yeti offers), and oh boy, I never felt that regreted in my life. The fork is ok, plush and have good tuning options, but how can it be that flexy? I'll keep it around untill the new 140mm Revs are out, because that was a really nice fork. If Fox just don't increase the stiffness of their 5.5-inch 32 line-up, that is going to become a big suspension fiasco, because Trail and AM riding is so demanding. But I also blame the Lefty. Why does it have to be so stiff and spoil us to the point of never accepting less than its "Leftiffness"? You only wonder...

Members who have read this thread: 0