Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

Paging MendonCycleSmith

Ever work on a SilkRoad cartridge? Or do you know if C'dale is accepting these for repair?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by howdyhowdyhowdy
    Ever work on a SilkRoad cartridge? Or do you know if C'dale is accepting these for repair?
    Hey there, sure, they are all about the same in terms of repair, when in the same family of cartridges at least. How can I help?

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

No Lock-Out

Cartridge doesn't lock-out. My experience has been that on a new bike after about a month all the cartridges need to be bled: DD70, Fatty SL, FT80, Lefty DLR, ELO. So I pop out the cartridge, top it off, put it back in and it's fine for at least a year. I've tried about 8 times now to bleed the Silk cart with no effect. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that it ever locked out to begin with (I don't use the lockout). I was going to change out the upper U-seals this last time but the damper rod is pressed together so that's out. Can you find out how much it would cost to have the cart Factory serviced with new seals? It's an '01 SilkRoad Carbon (I think that's a DD15).

I personally don't care about the lack of lock-out since I don't use it, but I want to sell the bike and it's going to be a hard sell when you tell someone that "yes, there is a lockout, but it doesn't work". Anyways, I thought I remember seeing an email a couple years ago where the Factory Tech Room was only working on 70, 80, and 100 carts; maybe it was that they were only servicing the hydraulic carts and not the mechanical carts.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by howdyhowdyhowdy
    Cartridge doesn't lock-out. My experience has been that on a new bike after about a month all the cartridges need to be bled: DD70, Fatty SL, FT80, Lefty DLR, ELO. So I pop out the cartridge, top it off, put it back in and it's fine for at least a year. I've tried about 8 times now to bleed the Silk cart with no effect. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that it ever locked out to begin with (I don't use the lockout). I was going to change out the upper U-seals this last time but the damper rod is pressed together so that's out. Can you find out how much it would cost to have the cart Factory serviced with new seals? It's an '01 SilkRoad Carbon (I think that's a DD15).

I personally don't care about the lack of lock-out since I don't use it, but I want to sell the bike and it's going to be a hard sell when you tell someone that "yes, there is a lockout, but it doesn't work". Anyways, I thought I remember seeing an email a couple years ago where the Factory Tech Room was only working on 70, 80, and 100 carts; maybe it was that they were only servicing the hydraulic carts and not the mechanical carts.
    You obviously know the drill! That cartridge should be very serviceable, and that fact that it does not lock out says that the shims that control the locking are cracked or bent ( a Cannondale job for sure, as the parts are press fit, and they have the tools and jigs to do it right) I sent in a DL cartridge recently for the same thing and it cost me around $35 for the job, I don't know how much most shops would upcharge this, but I do not. I figure if I didn't do the work, and I purely function as a UPS boy, no reason to profit off that, just cover my costs, make a happy customer. They should still work on that, as the concept has not changed, just the length of the shaft. Are you a shop guy? If not, and you cannot get help locally, let me know, and I can get you an RA to send it in on my account, and we can work it out from there.