Thread: Opinion Wanted

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Opinion Wanted

What's up everyone. First post and already need an opinion.

I stopped riding a couple years ago when I moved to a city and sold my F700 at that time. Well it's been killing me to start riding again and my wife has been bugging me about getting her a bike as well so I think the time has come to get back into it.

I am a lowly graduate student and don't have a big chunk of dough to just drop on a bike but I am interested in this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-Proph...QQcmdZViewItem

I just wanted to know what you think about the Fox rebuild of the Lefty Max. Do you think this is something of concern? And how much do you think is a fair max to go up to on this bike. I realize the components are not the apex of performance, but I feel like anything to get me riding again is good, and if something breaks, I will replace it with higher end stuff.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I'd say the best thing to do is go around to a local bike shop and see if they have a similar bike (size and frame) and take it for a spin around the lot or block. That goes for any bike you are thinking of getting. I've bought three bikes in the last 9 years, and when you get on a bike that "fits" it just feels right. I tried out about 4-5 different bikes each time. It needs to feel right, and especially when you don't have a bunch of $$ to spare. My current bike is one I bought off ebay, at a pretty sweet discount, and it was really in great shape. I had rented that particular model for a day on vacation out west and really liked it, then kept my eye open for a used one. No matter how great people say the bike is, and how many people love it, its got to feel good to YOU.
    That's just my opinion, because I've always ridden way more competently on a bike that felt good. It just makes sense.
    Technically, that bike should easily handle what you'd probably throw at it as someone just getting back in the saddle, and give you room to grow if you want to truly take up mtbiking as a serious pursuit. As far as the Fox parts in the Lefty, I'll leave that to more qualified people to comment on. MendonCycleSmith is here in the Cannondale forum often and is extremely helpful and knowledgable about all things Lefty. I rode his once and it felt good, but I'm a Marzocchi guy, the 2003 Z1 Freeride is my favorite.
    Good Luck, and definitely get out there again, even if it means renting a bike once or twice to try a couple different bikes on a trail instead of a paved lot.
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the advice. This thought didn't just come about recently. I've been testing bikes on and off for about 2 years now. I've ridden Prophets, Jeckylls, and Rushes in the parking lots. I'm definitely comfortable on them. I've ridden Super V's and Ravens in the past.

I should have probably mentioned I'm 26 years old and have stayed in good to very good shape since I stopped riding.

I'm looking for a technical opinion about the quality of that lefty. I'd hate to have it out there and kill it on the first ride. And how much you guys think is a fair price for a 2 year old prophet with a rebuilt lefty.

mtbr member
    There's a nice Super V for $4000.00 on Ebay right now. Don't let it get away!!
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by baalan
    There's a nice Super V for $4000.00 on Ebay right now. Don't let it get away!!
    don't be so mean...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotel

I'm looking for a technical opinion about the quality of that lefty. I'd hate to have it out there and kill it on the first ride. And how much you guys think is a fair price for a 2 year old prophet with a rebuilt lefty.
    I don't know anything about the lefty, but I would say 1200 max. Go for it. The rebuilt lefty sounds interesting. But the guy said he's a certified mechanic... I'd say offer 900. if that dosen't work, 950. I think you should go for it, and replace stuff if needed. Prophets rock!!!

got the dhr...
    Quote Originally Posted by lusenator
    I don't know anything about the lefty, but I would say 1200 max. Go for it. The rebuilt lefty sounds interesting. But the guy said he's a certified mechanic... I'd say offer 900. if that dosen't work, 950. I think you should go for it, and replace stuff if needed. Prophets rock!!!
    Whoops sorry, that was my brothers account. That was from me. not "lusenator".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    don't be so mean...
    Just let it happen...its funny

mtbr member
    To be serious now. A lot of guys are building up 6" travel Super V's and 4.5'ers. I just finished mine and I love it. Whether it compares to a current bike like the rush or prophet, I don't know, I haven't ridden one. Also budget makes a difference. My Super set me back about $600.00 for a 4.5" trail bike with platform shock. Right in my price range. But, if you have to have the latest in XTR you should get a loan and buy the $4000.00 Super on Ebay V
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think I detect a bit of sarcasm.

In all seriousness. Does anyone have an opinion about that Fox rebuild on the Lefty?

mtbr member
    I would ask if he had the receipt for the Fox internals.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The bike looks right and pretty much stock for an '06 Prophet 600 (which became P5 in '07) but the pics show platforms not new SPD's so I wonder how recent the pics are?
    The fork should be a Lefty Max 140 FFD but you need a close up the bottom of the fork to tell the difference between the models. But it looks right for a Max 140 all of which came with Manitou internals! These were all good forks but were dropped when Hayes took over Manitou and Cannondale could not secure a deal with Hayes to continue supply. This caused quite a lot of comment on this Forum but I don't recall anybody ever suggesting that Fox internals coud be substituted.
    Truth is I don't know if this Fox rebuild is possible but I wouldn't bet on it. The new Rize has an all new Lefty 130mm with Fox internals and this may have some bearing on matters.
    The sellers feed-back is not the best but the Lefty Max is fully serviceable and the parts are still available. I'm in the UK and can't advise on US prices but I'd proceed with caution and only bid if I could pay cash on collection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks! Those are all great questions that I sent to the seller.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    P.S. The colour is right for a 2005 Prophet 600 http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5VE6.html But it could have been bought new in 2006.

Members who have read this thread: 0