mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Oh no! Just got my new prophet 4 2007--fit problems in a small...

So I sold my Rush 600 from 2006 because it was a medium and I had no standover height and every bike shop said it was too big on me and too long for me.

So I ordered a small 2007 Prophet 4. I get it today and what happens? My standover height is EVEN LESS! What the heck? GAHHHH! Instead of my crotch being just above the top tube, it is now actually resting on it--this is possibly because I have to standover the angled front instead of the back but I don't know what to do now . I was so happy and so excited to get this bike--but does this mean I should not ride it?

Sigh--I love the feel of it and everything...this can't be happening.

Also, does the Lefty max not have a lockout?

What do I do?

BTW I'm 5'6.

I could've sworn I saw others around my height on this board saying they ride a small prophet. Sigh...can I get away with riding with pretty much no standover? Or is it a huge no no?
    Last edited by i3eezenotch; 04-27-2008 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    this is so upsetting--I guess no c'dale will ever fit me

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I hate to tell you this but a large Rush has a lower standover height (29.3) than the Medium (29.6). Also according to the Cannondale geometry charts the small Prophet standover is 29.3. Maybe you can try a setback seatpost? Finally, the Max does not have a lockout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Not sure if you took the time to look at the Geometry charts,but I think the standover height only changes about .3" from one to the other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I set back the seat but the standover height is still not the 4" or so people suggest--I'm still pretty much touching the top tube. Does this mean I should not ride? Sigh...I really want to stick with cannondale and their lefty--the lefty max in particular and I don't know what to do

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What size and color is the Medium Prohet 4? I found a new Prophet 4 in the shop last week but its a small. I'd be willing to buy it and trade if you have a medium. By the way, how tall are you, and what is your inseam? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyclifton
    What size and color is the Medium Prohet 4? I found a new Prophet 4 in the shop last week but its a small. I'd be willing to buy it and trade if you have a medium. By the way, how tall are you, and what is your inseam? Thanks.
    it's not medium hehe it's in a small. I wouldn't have been able to trade either way though because I will just return it to the LBS if I can't use it.

I really want to still ride it though...but I shouldn't? What do you guys suggest I do? This is such a huge dissappointment...I waited like a month for the bike to come in

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How did it fit reach wise? I'm 5'7" and ride a medium Jekyll. I'm thinking of buying the small Prohet and putting a 10mm longer stem and 5/8" Thompson setback post on it to make up the difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How did it fit reach wise? I'm 5'7" and ride a medium Jekyll. I'm thinking of buying the small Prohet and putting a 10mm longer stem and 5/8" Thompson setback post on it to make up the difference.

I do feel like I need to be a bit more stretched out but I haven't swapped the stem or anything yet. I got the bike blind under the condition that I can return it to the shop whenever I want and going by the fact that the rush medium was too big on me

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If standover height is the issue get a SuperV 25.3" in a medium. In fact that Lefty Max would make an awesome UberV!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    If standover height is the issue get a SuperV. In fact that Lefty Max would make an awesome UberV!

I'm not really a fan of the way they look and the frame seems less durable than the prophet's

Is the consensus that I shouldn't ride my new bike if I have no standover height?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I sent you a PM. By the way, how tall are you. Just trying to compare my delima.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I sent you a PM. By the way, how tall are you. Just trying to compare my delima.
    Almost 5'6

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just called the shop from which I bought the bike and the guy said that while he can't judge by phone and I would have t ocome in to get an actual assessment, standover height is more about comfort than anything else. I thought the point of having a larger standover height was not to get my nuts racked on the top tube in the case of a fall or a slip off the pedals or something. He says it's mainly if you can get on or off the bike quickly. He says there is definitely still hope in fitting and to just come by the store at some point.

This shop has a 100% guarantee so I can pretty much take it on some trails and return it if it doesn't fit so I don't think he's trying to weasle me into keeping it.

What do you guys think? My hopes are climbing again

mtbr member
    How much is your inseam measurement? - that's probably more important than height.
    I just checked on my small prophet - I'm 5'7 or 5'8" with 29" inseam.
    I kinda touch a little when standing over it and it's never been a problem in the two years I've been riding it.

As for 4" clearance?? I never expect to get that on any bike, except maybe on one of those circus clown bikes, but I hear they don't do well on twisty single track.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I thought we covered this. I ride a Super V in size small because even though I'm 5'6", I only have an inseam of 29 inches. That means any other bike would have me resting the family jewels on the toptube. You're probably in the same situation. Believe me, Super Vs are very strong! I understand if you don't like the way they look, but if standover height is your problem, I would look into a extra small Rush or even a petite.Who cares what everybody says? So what if they're meant for women? There are some of us who a freaking short and still love to ride bikes, darn it!. Sorry, rant over!

mtbr member
    Did you try putting it in the FR position?

got the dhr...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104

Ya, do that. It makes it feel a little shorter, and lower to the ground. More standover. you could maybe even have the lefty's travel reduced, that way the front is lower? or try flat bars, and also get a 50mm stem. oh, make sure your seat is as low as possible to. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by luseboy
    Ya, do that. It makes it feel a little shorter, and lower to the ground. More standover. you could maybe even have the lefty's travel reduced, that way the front is lower? or try flat bars, and also get a 50mm stem. oh, make sure your seat is as low as possible to. Hope this helps.

I have no problem with reach--in fact I need a longer stem, I think. And I think I will set the seat back as much as possible so that I can get as close to the lower portion of the top tube as possible -- are there any downsides to having the seat further back? I also really don't want to reduce travel on the lefty. I definitely don't want the seat lower because my optimal pedaling position is with the seat fairly high unless I'm doing some kind of jumping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    How much is your inseam measurement? - that's probably more important than height.
    I just checked on my small prophet - I'm 5'7 or 5'8" with 29" inseam.
    I kinda touch a little when standing over it and it's never been a problem in the two years I've been riding it.

As for 4" clearance?? I never expect to get that on any bike, except maybe on one of those circus clown bikes, but I hear they don't do well on twisty single track.

I am in the same position as you just about--I just barely touch the top tube--

would people say this is generally OK?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104

I didn't yet but the diagram I saw almost makes it seem like it makes it a bit higher although it doesn't make sense.

By the way, when I unscrew the bolt from the shock, if I pull it out, will the shock extend or pop out or anything? I don't want to screw it up. Also in the instructions it says I should puit a drop of loctite on there but I don't have that--maybe I should just ride it as is until mid May when I can get back to the LBS.

What worries me is that the manual of the bike says not to even ride it around the block if yo udon't have clearance--why is that? ugh

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedmetal
    I thought we covered this. I ride a Super V in size small because even though I'm 5'6", I only have an inseam of 29 inches. That means any other bike would have me resting the family jewels on the toptube. You're probably in the same situation. Believe me, Super Vs are very strong! I understand if you don't like the way they look, but if standover height is your problem, I would look into a extra small Rush or even a petite.Who cares what everybody says? So what if they're meant for women? There are some of us who a freaking short and still love to ride bikes, darn it!. Sorry, rant over!

Besides the actual looks--they don't make the V anymore do they? A huge part of the reason I am buying new is that I want the warranty. And since my L BS gives me pretty much a return policy unbeatable by anyone else, I would like to stick with them. I also really love the Prophet's design as compared to my old Rush. It feels better and way more plush.

mtbr member
    The shock wont pop out. Just make sure the swing arm doesnt pivot backwards and hit the seat tube. I normally put a rag between the swing arm and the seat tube. I dont switch positions very often but I think your fine if you dont loctite it, but if you would like to loctite it that works too.

got the dhr...
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    I didn't yet but the diagram I saw almost makes it seem like it makes it a bit higher although it doesn't make sense.

By the way, when I unscrew the bolt from the shock, if I pull it out, will the shock extend or pop out or anything? I don't want to screw it up. Also in the instructions it says I should puit a drop of loctite on there but I don't have that--maybe I should just ride it as is until mid May when I can get back to the LBS.
    When you unbolt the shock, as long as your not sitting on the bike, the shock will just stay in the same position. The bolts should allready have loctite on them, so you can just unscrew the bolt (it takes two 5mm hex keys) move the shock into the new position, replace the bolt where the shock is now, put the bolt back together, and nip it up pretty tight. You'll know it isn't tight enough if when your rear tire comes off the ground it makes a "clank" sound. And, like I said, it makes the bike a little shorter, and just feels way better. Also, it gives it a lower BB wich is awsome for going down tight, twisty singlettrack. Oh, and by the way i'm 5''8" and ride a medium, but i would still be fine with a small (or a large), so I think you could make it work, at least I hope you can

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When you unbolt the shock, as long as your not sitting on the bike, the shock will just stay in the same position. The bolts should allready have loctite on them, so you can just unscrew the bolt (it takes two 5mm hex keys) move the shock into the new position, replace the bolt where the shock is now, put the bolt back together, and nip it up pretty tight. You'll know it isn't tight enough if when your rear tire comes off the ground it makes a "clank" sound. And, like I said, it makes the bike a little shorter, and just feels way better. Also, it gives it a lower BB wich is awsome for going down tight, twisty singlettrack. Oh, and by the way i'm 5''8" and ride a medium, but i would still be fine with a small (or a large), so I think you could make it work, at least I hope you can
    I hope I can make it work hehe--the only hting about the lower BB is popping over them logs :P but I don't care at this point if I can give myself a tad standover.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just changed to freeride and it did lower it a tad--if I stand with the seat gone flush against the seatpost, I don't touch the top tube. If I put the seat on and slide it all the way back on the rails (and this is the SDG saddle that goes pretty far back o nthe rails), I touch but not very much.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    You want 4" of standover? HA!

If I clear the top tube at all I call it good! You learn to lay the bike down/lean it over when you crash/stall REAL fast, but otherwise it's fine.

5ft even. If I wanted standover my only choices would be children's bikes and very expensive full custom frames. I ride a small (not a petite) Rush and *just* touch the top tube flat footed and my seat is pushed all the way forward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    You want 4" of standover? HA!

If I clear the top tube at all I call it good! You learn to lay the bike down/lean it over when you crash/stall REAL fast, but otherwise it's fine.

5ft even. If I wanted standover my only choices would be children's bikes and very expensive full custom frames. I ride a small (not a petite) Rush and *just* touch the top tube flat footed and my seat is pushed all the way forward.

I was just going by the cannondale manual and other places I heard that from. The manual actually says not to ride it around hte block if it touches lol--that's what got me worried

got the dhr...
    haha just bunnyhop! hahaha ya,, well the low BB feels super good through the turns. The high BB used to jack me around, so I switched to the FR setting, and I love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    haha just bunnyhop! hahaha ya,, well the low BB feels super good through the turns. The high BB used to jack me around, so I switched to the FR setting, and I love it!
    I'm glad hehe--I always figured I'd want the FR setting anyhow :P

I can't wait til my first wave of exams are done Tuesday--I'll take it otu for at least a pavement/grass/urban run

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    I could've sworn I saw others around my height on this board saying they ride a small prophet. Sigh...can I get away with riding with pretty much no standover? Or is it a huge no no?
    Touching the TT is not an issue for your height and bike size. My crotch touches the TT and I never had any problems there. I racked my nuts against the stem and that really hurts.

got the dhr...
    Prophet+urban=

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Prophet+urban=

exactly how much can this thing take? Daily stairs and 2-3 ft flat drops easy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    by the way, I'm like 180lbs and right now I have a really light spring in the lefty that I feel could bototm out easily. I am waiting for the black spring to come in. Should I be very careful meanwhile about taking any jumps or stairs, etC? I wouldn't want to damage the fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0