The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1210
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cpeugnet View Post
    Hey Lefty people! I've been a Lefty mechanic for years and I have a problem that has me baffled. Supermax pbr 2.0 140 (alum) - would not hold air from the factory (2016 purchase) but decided to simply do a full service on it before it went out the door 6 months ago. It has come back for THREE rebuilds. Same issue each time. Seems to hold air, we test ride it hard, seems fine. Customer pounds it and it goes flat. Air pressure holds, but fork goes thru stroke. Then it slowly rises back to full extension and seems to work for a bit. The lower the pressure (ie, functional range <100 psi) the faster it fails. if I put 175psi in, it holds and maintains through the rough stuff too. I have replaced the 2Spring TWICE, lower and upper (and inner) air seals TWICE. Used slick honey on the orings, and a small bit of Float Fluid (I have used it successfully on leftys for years). Well, its back again. I talked to Cannondale tech and I got nowhere. Seems like either the lower seal is failing or the plunger seal is failing, then allowing air to leak back from neg to pos chamber. But 2 defective 2Springs randomly??? At this point, I'm wondering if I don't have a defect in the lower leg? (cleaned internals well with alchohol) ANY ideas and thoughts are welcome. I'm not the smartest guy here for sure. Thanks.
    Have you read the 2015 .pdf Cannondale service bulletin that says the wave spring requires replacement every 50 hours of use?

It says and I quote:

" A failed SOLO AIR wave spring may not open and close the valve exchanging air between the negative and positive air chambers as designed. If this happens, travel, ride height and/or spring rate can be affected resulting in an unusual or inconsistent spring feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
    Cheers re the tip about BikeCAD, that'll be useful.

Any idea of where to get the AC measurement of the Lefty's ? It's not something I've seen in some of the spec sheets I've come across

Ta
    Hah, yeah. They are infuriatingly difficult measurements to find.

Lefty 2.0 100mm is about 500mm - I measured it for you.

Oliver on the slate will probably be about 400 but if you've got one just measure from the axle to the crown mid section to get a rough idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Howards View Post
    Hah, yeah. They are infuriatingly difficult measurements to find.

Lefty 2.0 100mm is about 500mm - I measured it for you.

Oliver on the slate will probably be about 400 but if you've got one just measure from the axle to the crown mid section to get a rough idea.
    Cheers Howards - so I've found a fork with the right clamp spacing to fit directly on the Slate - it's a ~2010 Speed 29er w 80mm travel.

From what I can understand, this means the A2C is about +60mm on the Oliver (will have to check).

So whilst it may fit, it'll left the front end a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc

Older lefty with the boot...doesnít fully lock out. I get a bit of compression still once locked. Is this normal?

Mendon rebuilt it about a year it two ago. Only has maybe 50 miles on it since (kids bike).

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Yep, with a PBR damper, there's blow off valving, so it'll "break" through the lock if you hit hard enough. It's not like the 100% solid lock of the prior damper than was in there.

It ca be internally tuned to be firmer, or softer, and even have a different mid shaft piece put in that will create a solid lock, but it sounds like it's working normally currently....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yep, with a PBR damper, there's blow off valving, so it'll "break" through the lock if you hit hard enough. It's not like the 100% solid lock of the prior damper than was in there.

It ca be internally tuned to be firmer, or softer, and even have a different mid shaft piece put in that will create a solid lock, but it sounds like it's working normally currently....
    Ok thanks...was wondering because it didnít lock solid like my other older ones. Thanks!

Glad to help!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-screen-shot-2019-11-07-12.50.05-pm.pngRemote lockout hose pulled out of the top of the fork during shipping. Anybody ever dealt with that? Looks like it will go back on and then bled, but the hose will not slide back on. Not sure if that is supposed to be serviceable or if it was meant not to come apart. Any help?

I've never had success remating one. Cannondale/RockShox always said you need to buy a new one if that happens, seems to be the case.....

That said, seeing as they no longer make the forks, and spent several years making sure nothing was cross compatible with anything else, I'd either jump on it and buy one today if you can, or, do the smart money thing, sell the fork, tell it good riddance, and buy a Rock Shox.

It'll be utterly unsupported in a year or two anyway, right about the time your lower leg will need to be replaced with apart that no longer exists, in a massively expensive service trip you won't want to do anyway.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc

Cannondale Experts ( Cannondaleexperts.com ) were able to get the Rockshox remote lockout for my 2012 XLR. Iím sure they could get the 2.0 one. They mentioned that the 2.0 can be swapped to the push button lockout on the top of the fork versus getting the expensive replacement remote lockout, though. That is the way I would probably go. Cannondale Experts were very helpful and answered emails promptly. Give them a shout. Turns out my LBS fixed the sticky lockout issue without having to replace it... but the 7 year old parts were available if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Members who have read this thread: 174