mtbr member

Noise From Crank

Cannondale Rush 4 2007, i am having alot of noise come from the crank area. My local dealer says this is normal for Cannondale bikes. It sounds to bad to be normal, is there anything i can do to try and solve?

LA CHÈVRE
    Why would it be different on a Cannondale than any other brand? Creaks can happen on all bikes so my first tip would be to stop going to that lousy dealer...

You might have to do a good cleaning throughout: take the pedals off the crank, clean the threads in the crank and on the spindles, re-assemble with clean grease. Do the same with the chainrings, chainring bolts, make sure ever metal to metal surfaces are well cleaned and apply films of clean grease, again, do it between the crankset and BB spindle, every spacers, might even have to clean between the BB bearings and the frame's BB shell... If all that doesn't do it, also check the seatpost, seatpost clamp, inside of the frame's seat tube, seatpost head and saddle rails, creak sounds often travel through frame tubes... and it doesn't take much dirt between two metal surfaces to make some nasty sounds. If that shop can't figure that out, I wouldn't trust them to do much...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

More than somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Why would it be different on a Cannondale than any other brand? Creaks can happen on all bikes so my first tip would be to stop going to that lousy dealer...

Different dealer for sure. I had a guy tell me "all carbon cranks creak no matter how hard you work on them" at one shop. Pure rubbish.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by cengle33
    Cannondale Rush 4 2007, i am having alot of noise come from the crank area. My local dealer says this is normal for Cannondale bikes. It sounds to bad to be normal, is there anything i can do to try and solve?
    You might have a bad swing arm that creaks.
    Put your bike in a work stand with the front wheel down and put some chain lube or something INSIDE the swing arm into the so called "hotbox" area.
    let it sit over night.
    WD40 will do the trick the best, since it comes with that handy little red tube for those hard to reach areas.
    Someone in here had a bad creak and couldn't figure out what the problem was until the dealer told him this is supposed to cure the infamous bad swing arm batch that affected Rush and Prohet bikes.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What crank is on it and are you sure it isn't coming from the pedals? But I'll go along and suggest a different LBS, bikes shouldn't creak! Mine started making noise recently and I found one of the BB cups on my XTR crank had backed out slightly. Bikes should be (almost) noise free!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    You might have a bad swing arm that creaks.
    Put your bike in a work stand with the front wheel down and put some chain lube or something INSIDE the swing arm into the so called "hotbox" area.
    let it sit over night.
    WD40 will do the trick the best, since it comes with that handy little red tube for those hard to reach areas.
    Someone in here had a bad creak and couldn't figure out what the problem was until the dealer told him this is supposed to cure the infamous bad swing arm batch that affected Rush and Prohet bikes.....
    Are you talking about going through the black gromet hole that the rear derl cable runs through?? or something else

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I disassembled my bike ('06 Rush) recently to clean it really well. I also get a creaking noise once in a while from crank area only when i am pedaling, either standing or sitting. I was tired of the creaking noise so I took the xtr crank apart to clean it and I replaced most of the alum ring bolts with steel because the alum heads stripped too easily. I also cleaned the bb bearings and re-greased them until new bearings arrived. Well, noise came back with in the next 30 miles of riding. But, then next time I washed the bike at the car wash the noise disappeared and it hasn't come back now in a couple of weeks of riding. I dont mind using the car wash sprayers because I am careful about spraying bike so I dont wash out bearings with the water.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my 07 Prophet right when I got it. I took it to REI and they dismissed it as the cable barrels rubbing and creating the noise. Even though I told them that it sounds like its coming from the crank area. They said that its hard to really tell where the sound is coming from since the frame will carry noise. Well anyway, the crank arm was not set right. After I torqued it down, the creaking noise went away. Since then I became my own mechanic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hey guys... i just ran across this (older) thread.

certain cannondale's have issues with a weld in the hotbox area not being done fully resulting in metal on metal rub. there is not risk of failure but if you are the original owner they will warranty you a new swingarm to make it right.

here's a tech bulletin explaining the test to see if you have this issue (and the effected swingarm serial range)
    http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...echnote_en.pdf

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizle
    Are you talking about going through the black gromet hole that the rear derl cable runs through?? or something else
    Yep.
    Someone else posted it here before and said that's cannondale's official solution to this ongoing problem.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Members who have read this thread: 0