mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Nice little benefit of the Lefty PBR conversion

After Mendon's "Good news for olders lefty owners!" thread... I quite fancied having a bit of that... though the rather large price tag did put a damper on it for me (no pun intended).

Especially as I got some rather lovely 2010 RS Rev's U-Turns with a 1.5 steerer cheap from the states for my Prophet when my (2) lefty('s) decided to die (seal failure & needing servicing). The Rev's were well you know, a revelation to use, but then after 8 months use they suffered the a known 2010 Rev issue, of a dramatic U-Turn failure.
    To my surprise the UK RS dealer said they'd deal with them (they're a US imports after all), unfortunately when they inspected them, the 'cir-clip' that had failed, had also damaged the internals (I was miles from the car, when it died, so rode it back gingerly). This wasn't an issue, other than the parts were on back order, a months back order.... Doh!

Soooo... what to do in the meantime? Hmmm well I have those Lefty's... So off they went to Tony @ Thumbprint Tuning (I'm UK based, so Mendon isn't an option), who I've used before and alway found a nice guy to deal with (does great work too).

It was never going to be a cheap service, as both needed servicing (both 140 max's - one Carbon & one Ali), new seals, swapping the bottom leg between them (I'd squished the carbon ones brake adapter - the Ali's was fine) and my PBR conversion for the Carbon unit.
    Unfortunately due to Cannondale europe, being 'really' efficient, it took a bit longer than was hoped to get the PBR parts... so I actually had the Rev's back 1st...

BUT I know have them in my greasy little hands and surprise, surprise it's come back lighter. Nice.
    I can't verify how accurate my scales are but I used the same scales to weigh them before they went (just out of interest to compare with the Rev's, I didn't expect a weight loss).

For ref my Ali Lefty 140mm Max Weighed 2045g (wet & steerer included)
    My Carbon Lefty 140mm Max SPV weighed 1680 (dry & steerer included)

The Carbon Lefty 140mm Max PBR weighs 1535g (wet & steerer included) & make my Rev's @ 1820g IIRC (wet, including 20mm bolt thru axle) look kinda overweight.

Not bad eh? Makes my upgrade seem very worth-while, as 120mm 20mm axle SID's are only just that weight and cost double or more the price of my new damper to buy, let alone comparing the price of this to purchasing a new Lefty PBR (£1000+ in Europe). Though this was never going to be a conversion I did for 'economic/value' reason's - you can take a guess @ the cost by seeing how much UK SID's sell for....

Lefty Carbon Max 140mm by z1ppy2, on Flickr

So have I fitted em yet & tried it? Well actually no . I've not had the Rev's back long so want to test them properly before putting/trying them onto my old Gemini frame.
    Give me a couple of weeks, and I’ll report back, but you know it ain’t gunna be anything bad.

Again a big shout of thanks to Tony @ Thumbprint for sorting this conversion out for me (& putting up with me pestering him), and thanks to Mendon for bothering to keep us ‘old lefty’ owners in the loop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just out of curiosity...
    How much was the upgrade - materials + labour?
    It appears that Thumbprint is Eighty-Aid 'certified' but I still haven't been able to find a pricetag for the upgrade for us Europeans, either on Thumbprint or 88Aid.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i cannot quite remember the actual figure, but tf tuned quoted me about £370, ($600), for the pbr conversion for a 2008 110sl dlr. it's something i cannot justify at the moment, especially with the turnaround times, and the knowing that one can get the same job done in the US for half.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Aye Tony is an Eighty-Aid agent, as for pricing on their website? Well as I believe this was the 1st Tony had done, and not a cheap upgrade. I doubt they'll (Tony or 88+) be advertising the pricing too much, as how much take up will there really be? I've paid the price of a 'new' set of forks for the upgrade (my choice & was aware before I commited), in fact I could have bought another set of those 1.5 Rev's for a lot less.
    TF Tuned returned an email to me, with a price, but it was not exactly clear they knew what was involved: "The lower scope assembly is around £220, the scope rebuild is £100 and the pbr damper is £240."
    TBH I could have followed it up with them but as much as I like TF Tuned, and respect there right to develope their business, I prefered to use Tony (that and TF specialize in the newer Lefty's not the 'older' ones).
    Pankincake figures are basically around what I paid, but as I had two Lefty's being service, the bill isn't exactly clear on the labour break down, that and I believe Tony may have helped me out a bit (due to time taken and just being a throughly nice guy).

mtbr member
    Similar results here, I did the conversion of my 2005 Lefty Max SPV to PBR, weight dropped from 1615 grams (ride ready weight excluding steerer) to 1455 grams. More importantly, the ride is amazing, coupled with the plush VPP of my Tallboy it's a very comfortable ride without bobbing too much, and for the (fire)roads the poplock comes in handy, didn't go for the remote as I couldn't justify another lever on my bar vs moving my left thumb a few cm to the right..

I got the kit through Mendon as I found his knowledge & expertise to be much higher than the LBS around here. All came in just shy of $300 which with the current exchange rate is great.

Only things I needed to install it myself were the standard tools (wrenches, bottom bracket tool) and the Cannondale castle tool. Removing the SPV was harder than installing the PBR, which was a easy as it gets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cool, good to hear some-one else had the same results, was starting to wondering it Tony had left out some bits

Still not fitted mine, it's just sitting here next to me, watching me accusingly!... it'll go on soon enough though.

mtbr member
    *grin* neah, only the oil and the heavy coil. It's virtually impossible to put the PBR kit in whilst forgetting something, it's just a damper assembly, top cap and bottom cap, simple as that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I know its been about a year since info was last posted here about upgrading to the new PBR damper, but Like Figo I also have a 2005 lefty spv and Im debating upgrading to the new 2012 PBR or trying to track down a red spring which is the right stiffness for my weight. I was wondering if anyone knows what parts/kits come from Mendon for the upgrade? Is it just the PBR damper? or does it also include the solo-air piston and new top cap as well? People have said it is really easy to upgrade but its tough to find any info online about how to do it. I'm probably over thinking it but I guess its just hard to believe the "pull the old one out and drop the new one in" installation.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by rgaylo View Post
    I know its been about a year since info was last posted here about upgrading to the new PBR damper, but Like Figo I also have a 2005 lefty spv and Im debating upgrading to the new 2012 PBR or trying to track down a red spring which is the right stiffness for my weight. I was wondering if anyone knows what parts/kits come from Mendon for the upgrade? Is it just the PBR damper? or does it also include the solo-air piston and new top cap as well? People have said it is really easy to upgrade but its tough to find any info online about how to do it. I'm probably over thinking it but I guess its just hard to believe the "pull the old one out and drop the new one in" installation.
    Kit comes with the damper, air valve plug, solo air piston, top cap and air volume reducers.
    All you need is a castle tool to install the new cartridge.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the info! I may just have Mendon do the work since the cheapest c'dale castle tool I can find is $45 and they said that it would only be about $50 to do all the work and service (still have to pay shipping both ways though). The lefty bearings and entire assembly probably need a good once over by someone who actually knows what they are talking about, which definitely isn't me!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rgaylo View Post
    they said that it would only be about $50 to do all the work and service (still have to pay shipping both ways though).
    If "they" means me, I cover half the return trip, just FYI....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0