mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Newbie Help with Lefty Max TPC

Folks, I am a stark newbie, withmy last true mountain bike ride being over 10 years ago (the ol'd Red Box to JPL run through the Angeles Crest forrest here in So Cal)... That said, I am back into the sport with a new-to-me Jekyll 800 with a Lefty Max TPC front and Fox RL rear. The rear shock seems fine for my weight (just over 210 lbs), but the front feels WAY mushy. Is there a preload adjuster on these things? How difficult is it to swap a stiffer spring in? Good source for said spring? I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get "braver" and start hammering again... TIA!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What size frame did you end up with?

The Lefty TPC spring stiffness' are based upon frame size.
    Med frames come with a red spring
    LG frames come with a black spring
    Black is a good spring choice for riders up to 200lbs I believe.
    You might need a brown spring (X-LG frame size).

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    ElZippos on the right path, but since it's a used bike, there could be anything in there. You need to determine the spring color, and go from there. To do this, loosen the upper clamp, where it goes around the fork leg, get a green Park Pin spanner, and remove the top cap. compress the fork, and look at the spring, it should be painted some particular color. Go from there. Welcome aboard=
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    ElZippos on the right path, but since it's a used bike, there could be anything in there. You need to determine the spring color, and go from there. To do this, loosen the upper clamp, where it goes around the fork leg, get a green Park Pin spanner, and remove the top cap. compress the fork, and look at the spring, it should be painted some particular color. Go from there. Welcome aboard=
    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the help... I need to see if my LBs has a park pin spanner, and I will go from there... It is a Medium, and I did buy it used, so I need to do some 'vestigating... It sounds like I definitely need the XL (brown) spring, but I'll see what's in there... If that doesn't solve the issue, I'll be PM'ing you about a rebuild...

I am also considering replacing the straight platform BMX-type pedals I have in there with a set of Crank Brother's Candy pedals.... Any thoughts? Pro's/Cons? Am I too heavy (at a tick over 210) for the Titanium spindled version? My bike is at 28.5lbs now, and I'd like to get her down as much as possible (and working to get myself down to close to 200). I've already ordered a set of Bontrager Race XL Carbon bars (185 grams) to go with a new Hope OS stem (probably a hair heavier than stock, but boy does it look good! ;o).

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I love my candies. the ti versions are really expensive though seems like you could cut down weight elsewhere on the bike? lighter isn't always better too!

oh and welcome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    I love my candies. the ti versions are really expensive though seems like you could cut down weight elsewhere on the bike? lighter isn't always better too!

oh and welcome!
    I'm thinking along those same lines--not necessarily because of cost, but because I remember that some Ti pedals have weight restrictions (My old Speedplay Ti pedals had a 185lb restriction), so I am probably better off sticking with cro-mo. I'll hunt down a set of cro-mo Candies...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yeah, pedals are a bad place to lose weight initially. I would look at tires, get folding ones, may be lighter ones too, maybe go tubeless. The best intial weight loss is rotational, as it makes the biggest difference overall. Since it's an 800 model, I would look at cassette, bars, seatpost and saddle as potential gram shaving areas too. Have fun=
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0