try driving your car less

New headshok better than old?

Hi. I have the headshok that came on my 1999 Merlin, a fatty ultra DL. It still works fine once I dribble lube in there from the bottom, but a guy told me that the new headshoks are 'much better'. I have never serviced it. I am not unhappy with it, but just curious as to what else is out there now and what it would cost to get it set up on my bike.

I don't want to spend the money on a carbon Lefty and wheel, so don't go there... I looked into it.
    Only boring people get bored.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Hi. I have the headshok that came on my 1999 Merlin, a fatty ultra DL. It still works fine once I dribble lube in there from the bottom, but a guy told me that the new headshoks are 'much better'. I have never serviced it. I am not unhappy with it, but just curious as to what else is out there now and what it would cost to get it set up on my bike.

I don't want to spend the money on a carbon Lefty and wheel, so don't go there... I looked into it.
    OOOOOOO, I remember that bike, it was lust worthy, still is= The fork you have is just fine, the only reason to upgrade would be to go from 70mm to 80mm. I believe that was even airsprung, am I right? You should have it serviced, Cannondale says every 40 riding hours, I think you are most likely past that! If there is not a shop that can/will do this, I am happy to. There are a few things you can do whilst in there that will help it perform a tad better, but the best thing to do is just service it, and keep on truckin. The older the fork, the more polished the races become, the smoother they are, so actually your is better than a new one. Internally speaking, not much of not has changed,now Lefties on the other hand.....

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    OOOOOOO, I remember that bike, it was lust worthy, still is= The fork you have is just fine, the only reason to upgrade would be to go from 70mm to 80mm. I believe that was even airsprung, am I right? You should have it serviced, Cannondale says every 40 riding hours, I think you are most likely past that! If there is not a shop that can/will do this, I am happy to. There are a few things you can do whilst in there that will help it perform a tad better, but the best thing to do is just service it, and keep on truckin. The older the fork, the more polished the races become, the smoother they are, so actually your is better than a new one. Internally speaking, not much of not has changed,now Lefties on the other hand.....
    Thanks. Yes, the bike is great and irreplaceable. It is airsprung. I am way past 40 hours on the fork!

What are the few things I can do to help it? THe only thing I have done was to flip the bike upside down, deflate the shock, pull back the boot and work some triflow into the races.
    The headset is pretty rough, and I have another new one, but my problem is that I cannot get the fork out. I remove the stem and bang on the top of the fork with a mallet but it won't budge! I tried for a bit, then just put it back together and kept riding it, because it works well anyway.

Where are you located to service the fork?
    Only boring people get bored.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Thanks. Yes, the bike is great and irreplaceable. It is airsprung. I am way past 40 hours on the fork!

What are the few things I can do to help it? THe only thing I have done was to flip the bike upside down, deflate the shock, pull back the boot and work some triflow into the races.
    The headset is pretty rough, and I have another new one, but my problem is that I cannot get the fork out. I remove the stem and bang on the top of the fork with a mallet but it won't budge! I tried for a bit, then just put it back together and kept riding it, because it works well anyway.

Where are you located to service the fork?
    You are doing about all you can for it at this point. Taking the fork out is fairly easy (most of the time) Get a rubber mallet undo the stem, and whack the top of it fairly firmly. If this does not dislodge it, get a sturdy 2x4 and a bigger hammer. Use the 2x4 to protect the fork's top, and beat with relative abandon. I would recommend having a friend hang onto the fork legs while doing this, as it will help direct force to the fork, and when it does break free, it will shoot out at high speed, bouncing off the floor (ouch). Hop up's are all, non purchaseable tuning tweaks that can be done by a knowledgeable headshock mechanic during a routine service. These make the fork smoother and more supple. I am located in Upstate NY, and do a number of service's on these for folks from all over the place. I have a great number of parts in stock, and if I have what I need for yours, it would be turned around in a day. If parts need to b ordered, it generally adds 4 to 5 days to that. Contact me at cats3elton@aol.com if you wish to explore this further! Good luck with it!