mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New F3 Caffeine what parts to swap?

Hey all,

Purchasing a new caffeine f2/f3 soon. Is the added weight of the non-carbon lefty worth it? It weighs 1 pound more. Also, I was planning on swapping the juicy 5's of the f2 for Magura Louise Carbon BAT's is this a good idea?

Between the head shock and the lefty my main concern is durability and quality...i dont need the extra travel.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chain_RXN; 04-30-2008 at 07:38 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain_RXN
    Hey all,

Purchasing a new caffeine f2/f3 soon. Is the added weight of the non-carbon lefty worth it? It weighs 1 pound more. Also, I was planning on swapping the juicy 5's of the f2 for Magura Louise Carbon BAT's is this a good idea?

Between the head shock and the lefty my main concern is durability and quality...i dont need the extra travel.
    My opinion is go for the lefty. You will probably use that extra 30 mm in travel in no time.

If weight it a factor, then the Magura Louise are not you best choice for weight. Those are more for free ride/all mountain. The magura martas weigh 100 gr less each. Some of that is from the rotors. For example, the Louise SL rotor 180 mm is 150 gr (my own weight/no bolts) vs the Marta SL 180 mm at 120 gr. If you want the BAT thing on the Louise brakes, Formula and Avid both have that feature, but they call it something else. I think the models are the K24 for the Formulas and Juicy 7 for Avid.

I think you will find the durability of both shocks similar. The Lefty is more complicated, but still a solid fork. You may see more posts about Lefty issues vs headshocks. However, I think that is due to more Lefty owners being on this and other enthusiast message boards. And as we know, with enthusiasts (as I am one), we push our equipment hard.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 04-28-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member

lefty

I went from a head shock to the lefty. i got a new prophet 5 and i love the fork. it tracks very well and you can really see in front of the wheel well in slow rock gardens to help pick lines. also the lefty is very adjustable. you can go with the TCP or spv kit. 112 or 300 dollars from mendon cycle in new york. and you can change spring weights to suit your riding style. they are very smooth and they look great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    just picked up a new F3 Caffeine--jet black--space reserved for pics...

Its waiting for Formula Oro K18 brakes to replace the Juicy 3's...any other important parts to swap while they're new (being done at LBS)?

Things on my list: seatpost, handlebars, grips, saddle

suggestions welcome.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain_RXN
    just picked up a new F3 Caffeine--jet black--space reserved for pics...

Its waiting for Formula Oro K18 brakes to replace the Juicy 3's...any other important parts to swap while they're new (being done at LBS)?

Things on my list: seatpost, handlebars, grips, saddle

suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    Sweet! That is the exact bike I have been eyeing. Would love some pics and impression of the bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Personally, I'd invert your list....saddle first. The C'dale-branded seat is some kind of medieval torture device. All the other stuff is fine on the bike, really just a matter of customizing...

One thing that doesn't cost much and actually made a noticible difference on my F3 was lite tubes (link)....
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...4&category=598

Members who have read this thread: 0