Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My RIZE first impression...

This is cross posted from my question thread about the rize. there wasn't much feedback, so I thought I'd post this seperately so other can see the quick review.. I had stated in the other that I was considering this to replace my 07 SC superlight mainly to get a slacker head angle (from 71 to 68.5) still in a lightweight package.

So, got to ride the new rize carbon 1 yesterday and got some good milage on it.

This bike climbs better then my superlight, descends better then... almost any bike I've ever ridden (yes, i've ridden downhill and Freeride bikes, i like more nimble and am not taking big hits. ) jumps well.

it feels stable, yet agile,
    responsive, yet confidence inspiring.

I didn't want to love it, as I'm a simple guy and this one has a little too much bling for me.

the reason I was looking...I was interested for the little more travel, and the 68.5 head angle for more forgiveness when jumping and descending fast, with light weight,

it not only had all that on my bike, it pedaled better, was more plush, cornered more accurately, felt more nimble both on the ground and it the air.

OK, I'm buying one for my wife and one for me.

dislikes, on Dougs bike(the Cdale mechanic and guy running the demo), the pbr fork had a top out noise, but not in the others (his has been ridden alot and needed adjustment). a couple of bikes had creaks, which i hate. they were mostly tracked to the mavic wheels, though, but that is my only worry, so light and so much carbon may have a propensity for that...?
    I didn't like the handlebar on the production bike. I had ridden Dougs first, and it was perfectly set up, with a wider bar, sweep perfectly placed, perfect control placement, then the bar and placement on the stock bike was a little off (fixable, of course).

Parts:
    I wasn't a fan of the xtr brakes. i'll switch em out for my formula. same for the drivetrain. i'll switch out the xtr stuff for my 1x9 xo drivetrain.
    (while on changes, I'll sell the ST wheels even though they are great, and put on SLR's. that 130 grams of rotational weight savings in the wheel will let me run a bit burlier tires and still be super quick. i don't tend to beat up wheels... so, there will an ST lefty wheelset in classifieds in a month or so, and a set of lefty crosstrails, as the carbon 2 for my wife will get slr's as well)

but,
    all in all, just an amazing bike. first great cdale in awhile IMO, and they have stepped up to the top tier again.

a good friend, ex pro downhiller and talented freerider did the compare, contrast back to back w/ my bike and said...(pointing at my bike)..."that is mountain biking, and that is cheating!" (pointing at the Rize)

Cheers,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    Nice, so your getting one for you & your wife, sweet! You wanna get me one too?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

where to start?

So stoked to see an actual review of the bike. i also have a 07 SL with full XTR and SLR's. My SLR's are creaking to death. Wehre the ST's quiet? How did the Lefty feel compared to the F 100 RLC? Does the carbon frame scare you? How's the bike look in person? I keep hearing that the full rize 1 weight is 24 lbs. That's banana's

I've got a new blur LT2 on order but a little voice in the back of my head says try the rize. My only fear is of me taking a digger in rocks. Just don't know how Carbon does in those situations.

I'd appreciate the info! Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm glad to see there are some carbon Rizes out there.

I wish I had your kind of cash........................I bought a house in CA, so no cash here, LOL.

Just a thought on you selling the ST wheels set.....
    The ST has a 19 mm rim vs the SLR 17 mm rim. I looked at the SLR when I was getting a front wheel, but went with the ST because the max tires size was 2.35 vs the 2.1 of the SLR. I wanted to run a 2.3 without any issues or funny tire shapes.

Anyway, glad you had a good ride. I was thinking about doing a demo day on some Cdales this weekend, but Im not in the market for a new bike. My prophet is just barely a year old. I havent even finished getting all the upgrades on yet.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bout what I figured, I paid for my carbon 2 bout 2 weeks ago, just counting the days now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so, replies down the line...first question... nope, I think after buying 2, my bike budget will be done. sorry.

On the carbon durability, thats a question. they make them tough and back them, so I'm hopefull it will hold up. people i know w/ ibis and other carbon bikes have had good luck.

creaky slr's... that's bothersome. I have crossmax sl's on my super and they have been solid. maybe i won't get an slr, as I hate creaks. i want quiet.

my superlight is 24.5 w/ the SL and 2.3 tires, and the rize felt a bit lighter, so I believe it will come in around 24 w/ their speced tires. i think with the tires I'd want, it will be closer to 25.

the lefty worked better then my 120 rlc. my buddy, the downhiller said he thought my fox moved more side to side then up/down.. a bit of tongue in cheek, but it is way flexier and not a plush as hte lefty ridden back to back.

on the 17 vs 19.. for many years I've run 2.3 to 2.5s on 17mm rims... i havn't had issues. i have 2.3 eskars on my 17mm sl's now and the shape is great. my biggest concern w/ the slr's isn't the width, but the creaking mentioned above. maybe i'll have stans or Davesspeedream build some up. although, once again, my bike guru says the mavic aluminum spoke wheels are much stiffer and more durable. he's been the mechanic for 24 hrs racers, trans rockies and others and says the maintenance of those is so much lower then traditional its amazing.
    since he's my mechanic and i respect his opinion, i may stay w/ them.

bike looks great.

cheers,
    holiday

mad aussie
    Perhaps some Industry Nine wheels? You could go with the Stan's Arch rim for more strength and width and still come in around SLR weight. Plus you get much faster engagement. To be honest I dont like the Mavic freehub design, two pawls and they seem to contaminate easily and start to stick and develop the "crossmax coffee grinder buzz".

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks!

very detailed response...

The SLR's are super stiff and bomb prrof. they're my daily wheels and i've NEVER had to true them but oh god they squeal so bad. it kills me how much I paid for them.

I hear I9's are pretty awesome but i think the rize 1 will be light enough that a nice wide set of ST's will fit the bill.

thanks and post up pics asap. BTW, I'm hearing late April what are you hearing on availability?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've been running SLR's on my prophet since 04, bulletproof.
    I've never even touched them, no creaks either.

Anomoly?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGANOX
    I've been running SLR's on my prophet since 04, bulletproof.
    I've never even touched them, no creaks either.

Anomoly?
    SLR's on a 2004 Prophet?
    SL's on a 2005 ?

OR did you mean April?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

might be wrong but...

I don't think there where any SLR's in 04. They came out last year

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    SL's, they came stock on the 05 prophet 4000 at the time.
    My bad.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Holiday, could you describe more fully the PBR lefty?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yogi,
    first off, i'm non technical... I looked at the dampers inside each of the forks, the fox rlc innards and the pbr. the fox is 1/2 lb heavier, mainly due to the spring. I didn't ride that lefty, but Doug said it was more plush off the top due to the spring vs. just an air spring.
    that said, when i rode his bike, the action was smooth and plush throughout, but I never came close to bottoming it, even when i landed a bit too far forward off a jump. It was more active and of course, much stiffer then my fox rlc 120.

I really like the idea of a less the 3lb 5 inch fork, so I'm going with that one over the fox based damper in the lefty on the carbon rize 2. that said, i'm getting the 2 for my wife, so If I don't love the pbr, I can steal the fox off her bike and give it a shot...

Cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    thanks for reminding me that i have no money for a new bike and certainly not a carbon rize.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sorry for the slightly OT, but the carbons are coming out before the aluminum Rizes correct? I'm sure I wont have enough to swing a carbon Rize... but if maybe an aluminum...

Heres to tax returns!

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I am sure georgie would be psyched to know you used his 600 dollar return on a cannondale

mtbr member
    Demoed a Rize 1 carbon today in Fairfax, CA. The bike was light and very stiff. Every thing was excellent, except the XTR brakes didnt grab very well and began making a howling sound. Also I found that the push button lockout locked out automatically once or it could have been that I bumped it, but i think it should be harder to lock or unlock than just accidentally bumping it. Also got to meet Doug Dalton, quite the joker and very nice. He actually set the bike up for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    CHecked out the Rize @ my LBS, or a slightly preproduction rise. It was a Rize 1 but didn't have the carbon lefty. Sexy bike in person.

I know I'll definately be unable to get a carbon model, was hoping to get a 3 but its just a tad out of my price range. Looks like I'll be looking @ the 4.

Possible to add a lefty down the road? Or would that be cost prohibitive?

mtbr member
    probably save more money in the long run if you went for the Rize 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I guess Im wondering if I'll notice that huge a diff between the 4 and 3? Coming off a HT Rockhopper that is...

Agh, decisions decisions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    probably save more money in the long run if you went for the Rize 3

Any guess on the weight of a Medium Rize 3?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    Any guess on the weight of a Medium Rize 3?
    Id say probably around 28lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarcazmo
    I guess Im wondering if I'll notice that huge a diff between the 4 and 3? Coming off a HT Rockhopper that is...

Agh, decisions decisions.
    Either way it is gonna be way more fun than a hardtail. If I were you I would wait and save a couple more hundred dollars, even though it would be very hard.

mtbr member
    Id say probably around 28lbs.

That seems heavy. I was thinking 25-26# with pedals.
    What's it cost $3,000us?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What size did you demo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    That seems heavy. I was thinking 25-26# with pedals.
    What's it cost $3,000us?
    yup $3000. I dont know it could be a couple lbs lighter that was just my geuss. I wish I had more information on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big Kat
    What size did you demo?
    I demoed a Large. The rep said it was about 24lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How tall are you and what size do you normally ride. I'm 6'3" and have order a XL after sitting on a L Prophet. I am wondering if I should change the order to a L.

mtbr member
    I'm 6 feet tall and I ride a Large size prophet. I guess to give you an idea the owner of my LBS used to ride a large prophet and he was about 6'2". Im sure either way you would fit, but id say stick with the XL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I've recently been looking at the superlights. Do you think the 4 is comparable? Dont think I can swing the 3k for the 3.

mtbr member
    Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I've recently been looking at the superlights. Do you think the 4 is comparable? Dont think I can swing the 3k for the 3.
    The rize 4? I saw one at the demo. The rize 4 actually has a better component spec than I thought. I bet its an awesome bike. Plus you get 140mm travel up front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thats what I was thinking. Right now the bikes on my short list are Trance X2/1, Fuel ex8, Cannondale Rize 4, SC Superlight... Such a hard decision.

I figured once I get better I could always buy the lefty by itself....

mtbr member
    Personally I prefer the bike that are made in the good old USA. The only one I know for sure that is made in US is the cannondale. I know trek and santa cruz still have bikes made in the states but im not sure if the ex8 and superlight are. Thats just my opinion and thats how i narrowed down to a cannondale. Plus all of the extensive testing they do before the bikes come out. Last, for $1600 I got a lefty and a beautiful prophet frame that came with parts that will get the job done and I can upgrade as time goes on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ahve changed my order to a Rize 4. I think I got the last XL they had in stock. There will be some major changes made to though. The wheels, brakes & fork will be upgraded. I am going with a full XT kit except the cranks. I am kind of making a heavy duty Rize. I was looking forward to having the Lefty fork but I am worried about the wheel and hub selection that are out the for Lefty. I am going with a Fox 36 Float R reduced down to 140mm. I am big guy and I want a good steering fork that gives me the most options. I am hoping to change the rear derailleur to a Shimano Shadow. It could be an XT, XTR or SLX if it comes out soon enough. The am going to change the cranks but I am not sure which one to go with. The XT's are super good I hear and come in 180mm but I want to see if the new SLX or even the new Saint will come in 180mm. I really like the new gearing that Shimano has n the SLX and the New Saint. The 36/22 with the bash guard is perfect for me. I have been mountain biking since 1987 and I have never worn out a big ring on the 10 plus bikes I had.The last things tht will be changed will be the stem, seatpost and bars. All of this is being done at the shop. I hope it all goes well. I should be a Mount Bromont, in Quebec by the middle of May.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Please keep us updated with your impressions!

The fact that cdales are made in the us appeals to me as ell. However one nagging concern I have about the rize and sl is the suspension design. It seems like single pivots have been surpassed by some of the newer suspension technology.

Hopefully my lbs gets a demo in fairly soon.

mtbr member
    Please keep us updated with your impressions!

The fact that cdales are made in the us appeals to me as ell. However one nagging concern I have about the rize and sl is the suspension design. It seems like single pivots have been surpassed by some of the newer suspension technology.

Hopefully my lbs gets a demo in fairly soon.
    Many companies have moved on from single pivots, but some like them better than multi ling suspensions. One pivot = less maintenance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

single pivot

Many companies have moved on from single pivots, but some like them better than multi ling suspensions. One pivot = less maintenance.
    its also a feel thing. i like the feel of single pivots over the linkages. the rize is more active and works better them my Superlight, but still has that general feel that i like.

also, sarcasmo, looking at your list, the SL is way steeper angles and much more racey, while the others are more slack and trailbike oriented. that is why i've ordered my rize, a 68.5 degree head angle, mixed w/ 5 inches and light makes an amazing trailbike. i kept trying to slack out the SC, by going to longer forks, but then you start to get negative handling traits. the heckler is 69 degrees and better for how i ride, but i didn't want the extra weight. the rize is just right. and the manipulating links make the single pivot work better. Cdale does more suspension performance testing then anybody and would license or design a linkage bike if they thought they were the holy grail...

cheers,
    holiday

ps, i ordered mine. and a set of industry nine ulralight wheels to put on it. planning on racing it in the downieville all mountain catagory this summer, so i have lots of training to do.
    rize carbon 2, "end of may" carbon 1, beginning of june... we'll see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    ps, i ordered mine. and a set of industry nine ulralight wheels to put on it. planning on racing it in the downieville all mountain catagory this summer, so i have lots of training to do.
    rize carbon 2, "end of may" carbon 1, beginning of june... we'll see.
    Does that mean i can buy your rear Mavic Crosstrail when you get it? I got the front but im looking for a good deal on the rear.
    Last edited by Duncan1104; 04-19-2008 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

maybe...

Does that mean i can buy your rear Mavic Crosstrail when you get it? I got the front but im looking for a good deal on the rear.
    I'll be selling the crosstrails, but I think it might be easier to sell the set, so i probably won't want to split them right away...

Cheers,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the great info! I look forward to all your reports on how you like this bike! I'll be in touch with my LBS soon to see if they're getting a Rize demo in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

underwhelmed...

finally hopped on a Rize today. It's the rep's demo, so it's a mix of the Rize 1 and 2, but with aluminum frame. It was a medium (I need a large) with xtra narrow xc flat bars (I currently have diabolus), and there were instructions to keep it on the road around the lbs, like a testride rather than a true demo. boo. All that aside, I did hammer it and make full use of curbs and uneven sidewalks as I could, and a few park areas. The Fox lefty was super smooth with hardly any brake dive. very nice. the rear end was also nice and smooth, with practically no bob even when hammering along in the 44x11. I still wanna hop on a large before I decide, but it was nice to finally see one in person and hop on it. the tiny cockpit kept me from really feeling the fit of it, but what little bit I got to do with the bike I really liked. I rode a hardtail before and after the test ride to go back home, and I gotta say the rear end is VERY stiff. More solid and less bob-prone than the Prophet? Yes. Revolutionary compared to everything else on the market? ehh...probably not. Honestly, I was playing around on a HIFI deluxe 29'er at the same shop and it felt alot better, but then again it was my size. we shall see...soon, too, as my money is burning a hole in my pocket in a big way. Oh, btw, I think one of my favorite spec choices on the bike was the rendez tires. Fast rollers, great cornering (in wet grass anyway), and good grip.

If you want to see all the pics, including the freaking huge 8 MP versions, you can see them at my webshots page: https://www.webshots.com/user/crazylax42

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    finally hopped on a Rize today. It's the rep's demo, so it's a mix of the Rize 1 and 2, but with aluminum frame. It was a medium (I need a large) with xtra narrow xc flat bars (I currently have diabolus), and there were instructions to keep it on the road around the lbs, like a testride rather than a true demo. boo. All that aside, I did hammer it and make full use of curbs and uneven sidewalks as I could, and a few park areas. The Fox lefty was super smooth with hardly any brake dive. very nice. the rear end was also nice and smooth, with practically no bob even when hammering along in the 44x11. I still wanna hop on a large before I decide, but it was nice to finally see one in person and hop on it. the tiny cockpit kept me from really feeling the fit of it, but what little bit I got to do with the bike I really liked. I rode a hardtail before and after the test ride to go back home, and I gotta say the rear end is VERY stiff. More solid and less bob-prone than the Prophet? Yes. Revolutionary compared to everything else on the market? ehh...probably not. Honestly, I was playing around on a HIFI deluxe 29'er at the same shop and it felt alot better, but then again it was my size.
    Nice pics Crazylax. I'm pretty sure that frame is carbon. It is well engineered.
    Did you feel like it could get all of its travel or did it ramp up too much at the end?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the bike is definitely aluminum, I know that much. As far as rear suspension, i didn't get a good feel for it due to the restrictions on my riding, so I don't know how it behaves deep into the travel, sorry. I can say it was very fluid with the RP2 and it was noticeably progressive (particularly compared to the prophet 1 w/ rp23 I've ridden a few times). It dealt with small bumps brilliantly, even with propedal engaged, but unless its character vastly changes deep in the stroke, I wouldn't see it getting so stiff that it wouldn't bottom when needed. Progressive, but not as much as the last 1/3 on a DW link bike (for those of you familiar) IMO. Hopefully, when the shop gets its Rize (3?) in, I'll be able to do a bit more.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    the bike is definitely aluminum, I know that much.
    3 things make me question that.

1) the shape of the tubing around the head tube
    2) the rize one is the top of the line carbon model rize. The aluminum models start at rize three.
    3) the aluminum version has an external headset. This one is internal like the carbon models.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Definitely Alloy

The pre-production rep samples are alloy as the carbon models are still being manufactured. It was easier to slap a BB30 onto the frame than mold the carbon front. The ride will be very much the same, with only the carbon model being lighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet

2) the rize one is the top of the line carbon model rize. The aluminum models start at rize three.
    3) the aluminum version has an external headset. This one is internal like the carbon models.
    yeah, normally that would be right but this is a pre-production model made for the rep ages ago. I'm not even sure that it had the proper "backbone" as there were some pretty noticeable welds around the seatpost/bb junction. plus the tubes gave the cold "tink" versus a warm thud (if that makes sense) when tapped. To be sure I asked the rep again and he said it was aluminum.

LA CH»VRE
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet

1) I can't see well enough to say but...
    2) Reps often have out of spec bikes, they can have mixes and matches of frames and components
    3) New Scalpels and Rizes have integrated headsets even in the alloy versions
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-23-2008 at 02:21 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    oh, another side note: the 2.1 Maxxis Rendez LUST was relatively narrow. About the same width and volume as my IRC Mythos XC front 2.1, which is also small. Significantly narrower (i feel) than a 2.1 nevegal, ignitor, hutchinson bulldog, or crossmark (to name a few I've used). Also, I'm not sure how much side clearance there would be between lefty and tire with a 2.35 as there was less than 1 cm with the rendez...though I would assume it's the same spacing as the old lefty max so I'm not too worried.

mnt bike laws of physics
    OK OK my bad. You learn somethings new every day. Thanks for setting me straight guys.

I too hope the new Leftys will take a large tire like a real 2.3" Got a carbon PBR coming in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yeah I don't think it's as noticeable on the 110 leftys because the problem (maybe) is that the top of the rubber boot is right where the widest part of the tire is...but we'll see. A larger tire should also be taller, maybe I'm just paranoid. Should have gotten a shot of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A buddy of mine owns a Rize that was a rep bike. All done up like a 1, but aluminum frame. Very nice bike, and 25lbs even, with the Fox RLC fork instead of the PBR. He was on a Prophet and says the Rize handles alot quicker, snappier than the Prophet did, and pedals very well. I have played with it enough around the house that I decided to order one myself, I'm getting a 2 as I want the RLC fork. Maybe not as quick as my Rush, but quick enough and I'm tired of killing my toes on things due to the low BB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just got word today my carbon 2 is on the brown truck, I pre-ordered so for those who did the same you may see your carbon rize before may 1st, you never know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would love to have the same alum setup like that above using xt/xtr components but I dont imagine that such a bike would be available from mfr. Any idea if it would be practical to to buy the rize 3, sell the stock components, and replace them with better quality/lighter components?

I am currently riding an '06 Rush with the Fox TT fork and all xtr components, crossmax, etc, and the bike has been great. Bike and components have been very reliable and durable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Does the Rize 3 and 4 use the same BB30?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp526
    I would love to have the same alum setup like that above using xt/xtr components but I dont imagine that such a bike would be available from mfr. Any idea if it would be practical to to buy the rize 3, sell the stock components, and replace them with better quality/lighter components?

I am currently riding an '06 Rush with the Fox TT fork and all xtr components, crossmax, etc, and the bike has been great. Bike and components have been very reliable and durable.
    A rize 1 has the xt/xtr setup, but if you gotta have aluminum (why??), then I think you'd end up spending about as much moving parts around as you would on one of the nicer bikes, plus some. Unless you have a really good LBS and they switch out parts for you. But if you had to, I think the x.9/x.7 stuff would sell for decent prices, expect to shell out more out of pocket for XT stuff though. The Juicy 7's would sell for a good price like they always do on ebay, but you still might need more out of pocket to get the XT brakes.

Otherwise, you can always find a rep and buy his demo bike. Last I heard, the one I rode today is still for sale. wish i could afford it

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well we got a carbon 2 on the ground now in buford GA, got there this AM, pics tomorrow hopefully guys.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Cheapest Rize is how much?

Buy more guys, I'll be waiting in about a year or so for the used frames on ebay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Yess, expensive

I know I'll definately be unable to get a carbon model, was hoping to get a 3 but its just a tad out of my price range. Looks like I'll be looking @ the 4.

Possible to add a lefty down the road? Or would that be cost prohibitive?
    I don't know about the new Lefty 130, but the lefty 140 had a sugg. retail of about $1100, so I would say, if you want the Lefty, save up some more and buy the bike with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    WOOO HOOO! I ordered a carbon 2 on monday, they told me middle of May which was fine. LBS called me yesterday and said they shipped the bike Tuesday! Called me again today and the bike is here! I'm going to the shop tomorrow to put it together, and will weigh it stock. Then I am gonna put a few parts on from my current bike and weight it again. Then I'll try to take a few pics for everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay04cobra
    WOOO HOOO! I ordered a carbon 2 on monday, they told me middle of May which was fine. LBS called me yesterday and said they shipped the bike Tuesday! Called me again today and the bike is here! I'm going to the shop tomorrow to put it together, and will weigh it stock. Then I am gonna put a few parts on from my current bike and weight it again. Then I'll try to take a few pics for everyone.
    Pics are required so we too can take part in your glory. Remember, a rubber ducky on the bars is required for the maiden voyage. It tells other riders you have a new rig and to look in awe.................
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

1st 2 rides on my new RIZE 2...

So, Cannondale was ahead of their estimate... i got the rize 2 in last week, when they said end of may, and my wifes' rize 1 came in friday, when it was scheduled the first week in june. nice.

so, i now have 2 rides on my rize. i made the right choice! it is just plain sweet.

My first impression has been extended. this bike climbs exceptionally well, then just rails the descents. i've never had a bike that corners this well, and the slacker head angle is more confidence inspiring on jumps and rocks, for sure. it's not a freeride bike, but it is way more slack and forgiving then a regular xc ride.

I'll add more as i get more miles, call this a second impression.

only negative... the fox internals are leaking. hopefully i'll get this break in pain taken care of quickly.

cheers,
    holiday

ps my wife also loved her rize. much more confident, and an inagural voyage crash as well... but oh well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Be sure and update on that leak, I havent had a chance to test it yet but I will probably swap the red spring for the next stiffer rate, most likely black, on my 2.

LA CH»VRE
    So, Cannondale was ahead of their estimate... i got the rize 2 in last week, when they said end of may, and my wifes' rize 1 came in friday, when it was scheduled the first week in june. nice.

so, i now have 2 rides on my rize. i made the right choice! it is just plain sweet.

My first impression has been extended. this bike climbs exceptionally well, then just rails the descents. i've never had a bike that corners this well, and the slacker head angle is more confidence inspiring on jumps and rocks, for sure. it's not a freeride bike, but it is way more slack and forgiving then a regular xc ride.

I'll add more as i get more miles, call this a second impression.

only negative... the fox internals are leaking. hopefully i'll get this break in pain taken care of quickly.

cheers,
    holiday

ps my wife also loved her rize. much more confident, and an inagural voyage crash as well... but oh well.
    Where does the leak comes from? Often, new Lefties have a leak from the air filter that was over-lubed from the factory, then it drips a bit at the air filter, that's the rubber bump above the boot. If that's it, nothing too worry.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Customized Rize 4

So my Cannondale Rize 4 has shown up and I am replacing the Fox Float RL with a 06 Nixon and Shimano XT cranks, shifters, Thomson stem & post. This is my new AM/XC bike and I am looking forward to it.

I hope it lives up to my expectations. I should see close to the final product on Monday.

I will give my impressions when I get I chance to look at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mine has the residue coming from the air filter.

Omeganox, how big a guy are you? I'm 225 and have the as delievered red spring in my fork and it is plenty stiff enough. I can't get as much sag as I'd like, but I plan on leaving it alone, it rides very well and I don't have to worry about bottoming it out.

mtbr member
    You guys need to post some pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yeah, one of you guys take the honor of starting the official "post your rize" thread...I think we need one now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm 205lbs jay, so I'm hoping it's fine, but I needed a brown spring in my prophet lefty to get it feeling good, I just havent had a chance to mess with it yet, the other spring is at the shop, planning on getting her rolling on wednesday and fully dialed in by the end of the week.
    Trust me I'll be happy if we dont have to open that fork up for any reason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    pics if mine are here. I still have one more component I'm gonna change out, then get some new pics.http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=406784

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i demoed that same white rize at sea otter. i rode the xc loop with it. it was ok. brakes howled on me too. now, given, i could have spend a lot more time messing with the suspension setting, I wasn't overly impressed. I didn't like the way the lefty felt. the bike didn't feel stable flying down rough rutted stuff-- i would have preferred either a hardtail or a 5 inch trail bike. This bike is very twitchy and just doesn't feel solid. For some reason these companies are trying to niche a different type of make believe riding style for each inch of travel a bike has nowadays. Stick with a 5 inch bike or a 3 inch bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    i demoed that same white rize at sea otter. i rode the xc loop with it. it was ok. brakes howled on me too. now, given, i could have spend a lot more time messing with the suspension setting, I wasn't overly impressed. I didn't like the way the lefty felt. the bike didn't feel stable flying down rough rutted stuff-- i would have preferred either a hardtail or a 5 inch trail bike. This bike is very twitchy and just doesn't feel solid. For some reason these companies are trying to niche a different type of make believe riding style for each inch of travel a bike has nowadays. Stick with a 5 inch bike or a 3 inch bike.
    ....? The Rize is a 5 inch bike. And pretty much no one has a 3 inch bike anymore. The Giant anthem is a 3.5" but generally xc is 4" (100mm), Trail/AM is typically in the 5-6" range, with 140mm (5.5") being very popular for several multi-purpose platforms.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sorry i get confused with all of cannondales models. scalpel, rush, rize, prophet, moto, it is kind of ridiculous

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    sorry i get confused with all of cannondales models. scalpel, rush, rize, prophet, moto, it is kind of ridiculous
    What is ridiculous? The names? The number of models cannondale offers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the stock tires on a Scapel suck. They roll pretty fast, but they have no grip in anything that is off-camber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Do you think itís ridiculous that automakers offer so many models?
    At one time Ford only had the Model T. Cannondale, like many of its competitors are trying to meet customer demands for different products. So whatís wrong with having choices? Ride what suits you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    His first post was pretty lame as far as bait, he still hooked a few though........

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Best I could do was my phone, but here she is promoting the shop as eye candy in the window>>>>

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How can they hang a beautiful c-dale in a window with a Giant banner on the outside! That is a blasphemy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Where does the leak comes from? Often, new Lefties have a leak from the air filter that was over-lubed from the factory, then it drips a bit at the air filter, that's the rubber bump above the boot. If that's it, nothing too worry.
    So, it was and is leaking out of the bottom, onto the rotor... and out of the boot.

I talked to the rep and am changing it out for the pbr, i like the .5lb lighter idea and i've been on an air fork for some time, so I think i'll like the feel just fine. I rode the demo w/ the pbr and Doug Daltons bike w/ the pbr and they felt great.

I'll post some pics soon if i can figure it out. i think my version of the rize will come in closer to 23lbs, but we'll see. pbr on soon, speeddream wheelset shipped next week...

Also, the rize is far from twitchy... maybe the poster is used to 30lb+ bikes, and a 24 lb can feel different when you are used to that. w/ a 68.5 degree head tube and slack seat tube, mixed w/ the stiffness and true tracking of the lefty, you have somthing that has been rare to now, a slack trailbike, w/ a stiff front end that feels light and nimble like a xc bike...

cheers,
    holiday
    Last edited by holiday; 05-08-2008 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mine too

Looks nice on the stand. I have no idea how it rides.....but at this point, I am trying to strip it down and at least weigh the thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    gald you got your bike, Dawg. hope you get to ride it soon.

here's a pic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK,
    i switched out the fork to the PBR.
    much better. just right on, from day 1. lighter, quieter, and nice and plush. I've heard the call for spring/oil and can somewhat understand it, but this air fork is sweet!

I'm changing out my bar to an FSA gravity DH carbon, as my hands have never felt as comfortable on any bike as they did on the Doug Daltons Rize (and that is what he had on it). maybe a 100mm stem instead of the 110, at least to try.
    otheriwize, my last change will be my speeddream wheelset when they show up.
    I'll get final pics and weights after those additions. adding some 60 grams on the bar, subtracting a couple hundred on the wheelset...

details aside,
    still my favorite bike of all time after 3 weeks of regular use.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How big a guy are you Holiday?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You were right jay, no spring change needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGANOX
    You were right jay, no spring change needed.
    So what do you think? Phenominal bike is it not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Wont know till I get it dialed in, just started playing with it today, still waiting on pedals and grips, what I can tell you, is that I was kind of expecting a familiar feel but this is an entirely different animal from the prophet, compared to my SPV lefty 140 and manitou swinger shock I'm humbled by this fox stuff, night and day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay04cobra
    How big a guy are you Holiday?
    I'm 6ft, 168lbs.

also, i rode the pbr at 150 lbs the first couple days, then i got an email from Doug Dalton w/ Cdale and he said the bike i rode of his had 125lbs in it. he's aroun 165, so i took mine down to 130 and loved it. i sit into the travel a bit more, but it works great.

PS i think i'm going to steal the cdale hologram crank off my wife's rize 1 as well, seems it weighs around 640 w/ rings, while my race face is 860 w/ rings. that 200 grams is a worthwhile savings...

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Omeganox, this fox stuff is unbelievable. Just get the rebound and pressure on the rear set and play with the other stuff later. The way the low speed compression changes the bike is crazy, I set mine in the middle and can tell if I move it either way.

Holiday, I figured you were a smaller guy since you liked the air fork better. Seems the bigger guys like me (220+) seem to like the coil sprung forks more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a Fox RLC on my 2008 Rush 2 and it also leaked oil at the bottom of the shock boot when I first got it. Contacted the Cannondale Tech in Bedford and was advised that there have been a lot of inquires about the fork leaking. He stated that it is not shock oil and that. what appears to be the shock leaking is the oil seperating from the grease used to lubricate the internals. Those who experienced the problem was it confirmed that the shock it was defective?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

another finished pic

So,
    i got my new wheels... love 'em.

i just like the feel of traditional spokes, a little different sensation.
    and
    in this case, lighter as well.

I weighed my bike for the first time after switching out the bar to a 710mm FSA DH gravity carbon,

24.25!

w/ 2.35 nevegal front, 2.1 rear, a 28in bar and ready to rock.

also, the crank weighs about 860 grams, so i could lose over a half pound by going to the cdale hologram on my wifes bike.. but right now i'm too concerned about it possiblly being creaky..

lovin' this bike...
    racin' it at the all mountain class at downieville in 2 months.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

First ride

well I got her out today and it was my first ride EVER on her. Yep, bought without a demo but my buddy races for Cannondale and said the bike was awesome soooo.

my 2 most recent rides where an 05 heckler with a 30 lb build and the new Superlight with about a 25 pound build.

I weigh 160 with gear and had 95ish Psi in the lefty. Never had a lefty before but this seemed to feel great on the trail. I set up the rp23 with 11mm of sag and rode with the Pro pedal on 1

It's always sketchy on a first ride but it felt intuitive from the get go. It gobbles up the roots and rocks without blowing through it's travel but pedals up hill like a rocket.

I sold the superlight a few months back because all I was riding was my single speed. The SS is my primary ride and I really need to get back into seated climbing but the rize was sooooo firm when i stood up and cranked and had very little bobbing staying just the right amount of active to give traction where the SS would 've spun out

It's stock except the mnt. kings which with only a few miles on them seem promising. They are much narrower than listed. I've had 2.25's that where bigger than the 2.4 i have on the front.

Next up removing the gear index windows, the stickers from the rims and putting on my yeti lock on grips. i have a race face next sl riser that i was thinking about putting on but it's only 10mm wider not sure f that would make a difference

I bought this not totally sure about the decision. I was really thinking the Blur LT2 was gonna be the way to go but i think i made the right decision. BTW 24.4 pounds, it'd be easy to get under 24 if you wanted AND MADE IN THE USA

well here she is before and after. How about we start a true setup/picture thread?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

oops, pics!!!

sorry bout that

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sweet pics.
    another Rize for a single speed to superlight to rize convert...

congrats.
    holiday

mtbr member
    i just came from the store to get my Rize 5 size L

fresh from portugal

i have not riden it yet but tomorrow i will for shure i will leave you a few photos

the weight...

at home already ...

i can only say it's a beautiful machine, no words to describe how beautiful it is .
    Last edited by sonicreducer; 05-24-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    Sai da cama e vem para a lama !!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Very curious to see your impressions. Seriously considering a rize 4 but am waiting for more reports. That and the fact that no demo bikes areavail.

mtbr member
    Has anyone picked up a Rize 4 yet ?? Just curious...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had Rize 4 (eu model) for test few weeks ago, and I loved that bike. Before I had Rush, which I have sold, and compared to rush Rize was much better going down hill. Only thing I didn't like was that front end had the tendency to lift on very steep hills. But This can be solved or with lowering the hadelbar (there are about 20 mm of spacers), or by getting Talas fork (the bike has Float RL). I went to pick up the bike (Rize 4) on friday, but the LBS just got them an they weren't asembeld yet. So I guess I will get my new bike tomorow.

mtbr member
    jura2004,

I'm looking at the white Rize 4...It's pretty sweet...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Vyper005, I am from Europe, so Rize 4 is a bit different equiped and it has red insetad of blue decals. I will get the white one too, as I like it better than black. I hope I will post the pics of my new bike tomorow. Here it is (from the web):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0