mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My custom hc Prophet

Hi you all freaks out there! I just wanted to show you my Prophet. It is based on Prophet 600 but it is very custom, only frame, derailleurs and chain are original. I used the parts I had before I bought the Prophet and I have added some parts after purchasing it. The rear shock, rear brake, stem, handlebar and headset tightening system are all new and I haven't ridden the bike since I changed them. When building this my focus was a capable trail/all-mountain bike that can be ridden suitably hard too. I am also a weight freak but I prefer performance over weight. Highlights include Hadley 10 mm through-axle rear hub, Mono6ti brakes with Goodridge brake lines, Tune front hub, SDG Bel-Air saddle w/ titanium rails (see how well it matches with my curtain ), Answer Protaper OS bar and FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5" headset. My front tire is right now very heavy, it is Nokian Gazzaloddi Dual 2.6". This model is not anymore manufacturer, it is an ex-tire of a Finnish dh pro. It weighs 1040 grams but I will soon swap the Schwalbe Big Betty tire (910 g) from rear to front and put new lighter rear tire on. The bike has Shimano M-646 clipless dh pedals in the picture but I also have Atomlab Aircorp flat pedals for it.

It is funny some people's Geminis are more xc-oriented than this. I think it is partly because older Geminis had the same amount of rear wheel travel when the shock was in the shortest travel setting than Prophets have. And with 14 cm of rear wheel travel you can tune both of the aforementioned frames up to your taste, e.g. a trail bike or a mixture between trail/light freeride bike. I must admit my wheelbase is very long. But I haven't found any problems with it yet although the handling might be a bit slow in the woods trails (I use the FR geometry setting giving the slacker angles which I like more). With the previous parts Prophet was very stable and capable and it also climbed well for a bike that had a short stem (in fact the 60 mm stem length is the same than before).

It would be great to see also other people's Prophets with regular fork. You could post a picture of these here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That bike is awesome. I am planning on switching the radium over to a coil shock when i get the bike. How do you like that swinger 4(6) way? Unless my friends can convince me in the next couple of days that I should get a gemini 900 instead of the prophet with a different shock ill be ordering mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The rear shock is the Swinger 4-Way. I haven't been able to ride bike yet after changing the parts but I will ride it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow if it is not raining. I had the Radium R before and it was nearly like a coil spring in terms of sensitivity. But there are some other reasons except added sensitivity when using Swinger 4-Way Coil compared to Radium. Radium had a tendency to bottom out and it lost air during riding which I got enough. Yes Swinger has air too because of the SPV system but it is not the main spring thing. It should not be losing much air during use but let's see. I can also ride the coil spring equipped bike home if the shock fails and that is a very good thing. The Swinger 4-Way has also adjustable platform and progressivity. But when I have some real riding experience of it I'll keep you informed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What does that beastly bike weigh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It is not so horrible or animal at all. Well, it is wild, but who told all the Prophets should look like a Scalpel when talking about selection of parts? Now I have that Schwalbe tire on front and Continental Vertical Protection on rear. I also swapped a Continental inner tube (220 g) to a Schwalbe one (190 g) in front tire. This means about 410 grams weight reduction altogether and it can be clearly felt. I have not weighed it but I think the whole package is about 14.5 kg (just a guess).

I have been riding the bike just for a short time with these new parts but now I have about 100 psi pressure in the SPV of the rear shock. It feels a bit harsh and there is some suspension movement when pedaling. I am still finding the optimum setting. The spring is anyway the correct one giving suitable amount of sag. It might also be that there is a small running-in time needed to get it work properly.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool. I really like the build you did on your Prophet. I own a 600 too, and I have a Swinger 3-way coil on the way for the rear and if my style of riding gets more aggressive, I might wind up building a bike very similar to yours. It looks like it would be a nice cross between the Gemini and the Prophet, which is cool. Very nice job you did there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. My mother tongue is not English so I checked that "beastly" word from dictionary and I thought if that was a joke but the dictionary gave me such kind of meanings I thought you did not like my build (which would be ok of course).

I think I was too optimistic with my weight estimation. I don't still know the real weight but when comparing parts to the stock Prophet 600 during weekend I got the idea that my bike is about 15 kilos.

If someone else has a regular fork in Prophet, it would be absolutely great to see your bike here. It does not have to be very hc.

Here is another picture (from the hub colour bling bling perspective ). The other bike is my friend's dirt bike.

Last edited by caizu; 05-09-2005 at 04:12 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Sorry about the confusion.

Sorry about the confustion there. When I called your bike "beastly", I definately meant it in the form of a compliment. Ride on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Hey it's okay. Now I have some real info about the weight. It is 15.6 kg with Atomlab Aircorp pedals. Perhaps I should start eating merely vegetables.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ok, the shock thing.

At first I had stg like 70-80 psi in the SPV and it bobbed a bit. Then I added the pressure to 100 psi to get the bob away and then the shock was not very sensitive and it bobbed nearly the same amount. Then I decreased pressure to 80 psi and it was better. Now it has 70 psi and it is very good, or at least nearly, but not excellent. The odd thing is that I have not found a big difference in bob between 70 and 100 psi although it is considerably more sensitive in the smaller pressure. When riding through roots with very low speed it is not as sensitive as I would hope but when the speed increases the shock performance becomes just better and better. The shock (and the bike) are very good in high speed technical terrain and in downhills. The bike feels it would be very suitable for marathon style dh races.

It would be really interesting to test the Fox DHX and compare it to this. Anybody had a possibility to compare these two shocks (Manitou Swinger Coil SPV 4-Way and this Fox) to each other?