mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Metel R Shock on Gemini 900- Platform Damping?

I'm trying to decide between a Kona Coiler and and Gemini 900 for an all around East-coast trail riding and light freeriding bike. I like the Standover and component spec of the Gemini, but I test rode a 2004 Gemini 900 and I wasn't crazy about how it pedalled. It seemed like there was too much pedal bob, and I wondered if it would be a tiring bike to ride long distance compared to the efficient feeling coiler.

I noticed that the 2005 Model comes specd with a Manitou metel R shock. I rode a Swinger on my old AC and loved it....does anyone know if the Metel has damping qualities similar to the swinger?? ...or is it just another low-end no platform damping shock?

anyone have any insight on how Geminis feel on long technical rides??

I'm a 180lb XC rider and racer looking for a second bike to handle the technical, freeridish but flat trails that I ofen ride, and for long rides where the race hardtail would be uncomfortable.

any insight would be great! thanks!

Poser
    Metels supposedly have the same non-adjustable platform that the Radium has.

It's there, but it may not be suited for your tastes, or your body weight. I weigh 240, so when I had a Radium, the platform almost wasn't there.

I sense you've already kinda made up your mind about what bikes you're looking at, but my friend who was stuck between a Coiler and an AC would up getting a 2005 Dawg with 5". Have you checked out a Prophet? If a Prophet has the swingarm setup in FR mode, the front end feels like a Gemini but is ultimately a LOT lighter. I have a 3-Way Swinger coil on my Prophet and it's a super rad big bump soaker-upper.
    Last edited by direktor; 04-03-2005 at 12:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I considered a prophet, but after test riding a Prophet 600 I wasn't sure about its freeride capabilities. It feels like a fun bike, but almost like something I could race XC on. My only concern with the prophet was if I would end up swapping out halp of the parts to make it more freeridable....for example, I think I would want a coil in the rear, I think I would definately want hydros, possably with an 8" disk up front, maybe some light-duty freeride rims like singletracks. I dunno, I'm still considering the prophet for sure, but I'm not 100% convinced that it would handle what I'm looking to do.

That said, I'm not sure whether a Gemini might be too much bike for me!