Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mendon Cyclesmith is the bomb !!!!

31K views 94 replies 61 participants last post by  cdalemaniac 
#1 ·
I just got back my lefty converted to TCP and it rocks. i had spent 2 months trying to deal with the local lbs out here in calf. after 2 months the part was still on back order. i called craig and he totaly took care of my problem and he charged me half of what the lbs shop was going to. craig had my shock in on a monday (i think) and had it back out to me on wed. i think every one should use him to service their lefty's

:) :thumbsup: :p

karl

#83 ·
I sent a fork to Craig that was seized due to neglect, it had rusted itself stiff.. it was basically rigid & wouldn't move even a fraction of an inch..

I have the correct tools and some experience so purely out of curiosity I decided to give it a lash myself and take it apart to have a look..

After I removed the damper and the race clips I was expecting it to slowly pull apart.. well it didn't.. I ended up using a piece of a broom handle, a rubber mallet and a second pair of hands to help hold it while I beat the lower leg out of the upper leg.. it took a good minute or two before it eventually came apart.. Low and behold all the races and bearings were coated in a thick crunchy layer of rust..!

I quickly realised that this 'repair' was way beyond my experience.. so off to MendonCycleSmith if goes.. now I could have used some of the more well known suspension service centre's here in Europe (88 Aid, TF Tuned etc) but having availed of Craig's service's before I knew there was only one place this fork was going..

8 days and a couple of thousand miles later the fork has arrived back and is in 100% perfect working order.. buttery smooth as the day it was born..!

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with service provided by Craig / MendonCycleSmith.. Not only is he a gentleman to deal with but he's also a master mechanic and is passionate about the Lefty / Headshoks systems... This is a huge plus and gives me 100% confidence that the fork was sent to the right place and the right man is working on it..

The service, turnaround time, attention to detail and last but not least the price is simply unmatched anywhere..

If you've got a fork that needs some work - send it to Craig at MendonCycleSmith

#2 ·
I bought the parts from him. He shipped right away.

I'm taking the plunge to do it myself. Shipping it to the east coast was around $18 and 7 days each way. I couldn't live without my lefty that long. So, I'm going to do it. My LBS wanted $60 to do it, but that included a full overhaul.

#7 ·
I agree with you guys. Craig shipped me out a new spring for me without even accepting payment first. I got it fast and it was cheap. I also like the fact that he is always willing to spend time to explain how things work or how to do something. He really helped me change out my fork oil and quad seal. Thanks Craig!

#8 ·
I agree with everyone in here!!!
Been trying to get a seal kit for my Manitou Swinger 3X from my lbs, but after months of waiting they said it was not available anymore.....
PM Mendon, had 2 sets (ordered a spare one just in case :D ) in less than 2 weeks!
BTW, I need a new wheelset, or is there a way you can get 2 Mavic 819 rims (24H) for me Mendon?? :rolleyes:

#9 ·
cdalemaniac said:
is there a way you can get 2 Mavic 819 rims (24H) for me Mendon?? :rolleyes:
Cannondale has them in stock. Your LBS should be as easily able to get them, as I. FYI though, they charge pretty close to full retail for them, no idea why, so you may find the price a tad shocking, depending on how cool you are with your shop......:rolleyes:

#10 ·
I guess I don't have to ask my lbs ship again, since all they could offer me was 28H which they said was the minimum amount of holes for a mtb rim.
Since they couldn't even get the simple seal kit for me I might as well stick with you for any future business :D
How much is one? Like $80.-?
I really like my current hubs, especially the dirty flea rear hub, so I was thinking about swapping only the rims...
Let me know.
Thanks.

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah!!! Craig at MCS just rebuild the old '93 headshock from my Delta V700 with a DD60 Cartridge.
Works great!!

Cannondale said it couldn't be done, LBS refused to do it, Craig made it happen for shockingly little $$!!!

(I'm gonna elaborate in a new thread tomorrow - a few others with here with old Delta V Suspension forks were sharing my pain and might want the info!)

#15 ·
Just wanted to chime in with my experience. I sent Craig a Super fatty Ultra DL for a rebuild after reading the recommendations here. It was super easy! He was really fast, and I had it back way sooner than the LBS quoted me for sending it to Cannondale. Much more affordable too! Needless to say the fork works great. I can't stop riding it now.

Two thumbs up; I'd recommend him to anyone.

#17 ·
I'll chime in also. He has been beyond helpful to me. I bought a few small parts from him(less than $100) and he gave me an incredible amount of time talking me through the process and answering all my foolish questions. Shipped the parts to me before we even discussed payment menthod. We had a miscommunication and i got the wrong parts and he shipped me the correct ones again without any payment or return information. Service like this is very rare. I would recommend him to anyone.

#21 ·
My turn
I sent Craig my lefty and i had it back in a week
also had him build me a Woodman lefty w/823 and just put that on yesterday. very sweet wheel. i will have Craig do service for me anytime. His prices are very good and he is fast

#24 ·
Craig,

Thanks again for the Jekyll SA. I ordered the SA from craing on thursday and I had it here on the following tuesday. I know he's busy but he took time to talk to me, something my LBS (a CD dealer) would not do. When I Uber my Super V, I will be doing a full rebuild/upgrade. The only part I plan on keeping from the old setup is the front frame. I will be purchasing all of my components from Craig.

To state what has already been stated in this thread, if you have any questions, or if you need to purchase anything for your ride, e-mail or call Craig. His customer service is top notch. I will be calling after the season is over when I am ready to start the build.

-Nick

#25 ·
Yeah, no kidding about the service. I've sent him PM's for help and he's answered every single one. I wish I lived around that part of the continent. The guys up here are ok but still not what I would call spectacular knowledge wise even for a C'dale dealer. Keep up the excellent customer service!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.