Thread: Mavic ST or SLR

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Mavic ST or SLR

I just sold my Prophet and want to upgrade the wheels on my Rush. I do not race (yet).

Will the ST wheelset be just fine or should I go ahead and do the SLR's. Do the SLR's hold up to abuse well? I am thinking the ST set will last me longer. Am I going to notice a difference between the two? I know lots of questions, sorry, just want some opinions.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I've never owned SLRs. My STs however are noticeably bomb proof. I've gotten a whole tree stuck in my rear wheel, and had to touch it up just slightly in the truing stand afterwards. Can't say enough good things about mavic. If you can afford the SLRs do it, if not the STs will suit you just fine. And yes I race my wheels as well...

I actually like the all black finish on the STs over the slrs too...
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    A guy here taco'ed a SLR while riding his Rush Carbon in a nothing less than a stupid simple transition jump that went off wrong. He could not steer back in time and the slight hit on the ground bended the front wheel. I'd not trust them as an all-purpose wheelset. Buy the SLRs only if you have racing-only purposes in mind. But if you you want a stronger and reliable set, I'd choose the STs. In fact, I'm buying a pair for my Prophet, Lefty-hub front wheel. If they can take a Prophet all the way down, they will handle outstandly your Rush. The new hub mechs are way better than the older Mavics, and apart that, they are outstanding wheels. My stock SLs (Lefty-hub front) which came with my Prophet are already great wheels, they are the 06 models, which are actually stronger that the 07 and 08 models, which now comes closer to the SLR models. But I feel that the STs will significantly improve the toughness of the bike and the handling as well. And weight wise, they are barely over 100g comparing with the SLRs. So I think the ST is a better choice overall.

Members who have read this thread: 0