mtbr member

Mavic 819s vs Crossmax SL ?

Looking for some feedback / opinions from the experts.
    I'd like to outfit myself with a spare set of rims for my Rush for ease of change between tire types for conditions (ie. dry, wet, road slicks, etc.). Currently I have Mavic 819s which have been great... I have well over 3000kms on them between XC and rougher extreme terrain and have had no issues at all... not even a bent spoke.

I am XC racing quite a bit so am wodering about the Mavic Crossmax SLs. Are they worth the extra dough? (difference of about $200- $300 used). Are they as durable? Is the performance that much better?
    Any thoughts?
    BackBaconBoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    I know that the SLs are fairly popular over there (im in EU) but from my point of view they are the worst high-end product the French ever built (ok perhaps not the worst but sub par with its competitors). I have driven the SLs for about 4000km and have to say that even the 24 hole 819ers Cannondale sells in Europe have a higher lateral stiffness (Dt competition spokes, Hügi 240 disc hubs). For my taste these wheels were much to soft it felt as the rear tire was missing 15psi. My girlfriend (weighting 105pounds) was able to kill 7 Spokes on her back wheel by resonances created by the brake-frame-wheel combo.
    So if you decide to buy these wheels be sure to check your brakes for being silent. Nine of ten friends who have driven these wheels dont like them (much to heavy for their stiffness, to expensive, proprietary). although we can get these wheels easily for 550 dollars new over here there is much better stuff around for less bucks.
    Christian

P.S.: I got my wheels 3 times rebuild under warranty during one year. Come on how bad can these wheels be. I drove my 24 pokes 819/Hügi combo for 6000km without once truing it. Dont get me wrong I am driving Mavic rims on all of my bikes as I belive them to be the best you can get (better than the DT rims in my oppinion) but I dont get the hype about the SLs in the USA. There are so many better opportunities:
    King, tune, ringle, Hope or DT custom built on Mavic 819ers.

LA CHÈVRE
    That's the opposite of my experience. I feel my SLs are much stiffer than my 32 big straight gauge spokes XM819 wheels. And I have seen my friend take a hit after a big piece of wood got in his front wheel. There were many things wrong on his bike, he flew a few meters in the air and was hurt a bit but his wheels are still going, original spokes and all. Usually, people who have problems with these wheels don't maintain them well. It takes less than 5 minutes to clean and relube the freehub, do it every few months and check the bearing adjustment every now and then and these wheels will last a long time. I have a bike with DT hubs and I have had to change bearings way more often and sent them in because their freehub seized. And they are more flexy. in fact, the Crossmax SL are the stiffest wheels (laterally) I have ever tried (haven't tried I9s though).

With that said, I agree they are expensive and I'm not sure I would pay the retail price on them though. I didn't.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-27-2006 at 09:23 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Hey, well I can't speak for the European experience, all of the sets I have run through in the last 4 or so years, have been bullet proof, and long lasting. Sorry they stunk for you, CW, I'm guessing the general trend here will be glowing reviews, as I have not even heard of such bad experiences! I'd say grab a pair, or do an Industry 9 set, their sweet!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Its just that us European riders particularly the British, ride much,much harder than anyone else

Long live Peaty!!!

*Runs for life*

Quote Originally Posted by KarlosPirahna
    Its just that us European riders particularly the British, ride much,much harder than anyone else

Long live Peaty!!!

*Runs for life*

Apparently, your approach to riding, is much as your approach to making beer, way more into it than you average panty waisted American= (guys, I'm American, chill...)

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Apparently, your approach to riding, is much as your approach to making beer, way more into it than you average panty waisted American= (guys, I'm American, chill...)
    That may explain why Freeride's capital is in Canada.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

... and if we just ...

Hi mendon,
    interesting theory but in case of beer I am german, so where ar the german Peatys?
    Perhaps this little to much beer for driving fast. Probably the best beer brewers in the world but for sure the slowest Downhillers!!
    Anyway the humor around in this forum is worth it fighting against my school english.
    Christian
    Last edited by cwrender; 10-27-2006 at 12:02 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by cwrender
    Hi mendon,
    interesting theory but in case of beer I am german, so where ar the german Peatys?
    Perhaps this little to much beer for driving fast. Probably the best beer brewers in the world but for sure the slowest Downhillers!!
    Anyway the humor around in this forum is worth it fighting against my school english.
    Christian
    I remember drinking a lot when I was in Berlin, I would have been terrible on a bike. I think that's the problem, good beer is cheap in Germany and being too drunk can't be good on a downhill course...

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    pt,
    I have been on my SL's for almost four years. They are great. I now only use non UST tires with Stans and the SL's hold the Nevagal's perfect. I have three bent spokes in the rear and one in the front and the SL's are still true. I have had to get them serviced 8 to 10 times at the shop to lude them up, but it a one day $15 deal. Not bad! I like the SL's so much that I am getting the new SL-R's on my next bike. Hope this helps.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dan or Craig, got a part number on the freehub bearing in the Mavic hub? I thought I would order a spare in case it needs to be replaced. What cleaners do you suggest using inside the freehub to clean individual roller bearings? I don't want to mess up the white seal with the wrong cleaner. I definitely want to do more preventive maintanence on freehub after reading about failures. Thanks,

PS I am using a mineral oil to lube the freehub, but I did buy some finishline with green cap, and I have read that Pedro's Road Rage will work, and someone even suggested using the Shimano brake fluid since its a mineral oil.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    I have had to get them serviced 8 to 10 times at the shop to lude them up, but it a one day $15 deal.
    15$ a lube... You should learn to do it yourself. It's very easy, takes less than 5 minutes with only two allen keys and how much oil is needed again? Less than 20 drops...

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp526
    Dan or Craig, got a part number on the freehub bearing in the Mavic hub? I thought I would order a spare in case it needs to be replaced. What cleaners do you suggest using inside the freehub to clean individual roller bearings? I don't want to mess up the white seal with the wrong cleaner. I definitely want to do more preventive maintanence on freehub after reading about failures. Thanks,

PS I am using a mineral oil to lube the freehub, but I did buy some finishline with green cap, and I have read that Pedro's Road Rage will work, and someone even suggested using the Shimano brake fluid since its a mineral oil.
    To clean the freehub body, I just wipe it with a clean rag until it's all nice and dry. Then I put the recommanded number of drops of oil in there. I use Pedro Road Rage and it's perfect. Mavic's mineral oil is always backorder anyway. Shimano's mineral oil could work too. Basically, you want a light (not too thick) mineral oil. Grease or thicker oils will make everything gum up and the pawls will slip. And it has to be mineral to protect the lip seal and the big round bushing.

mtbr member
    LOL

All in good spirits guys, I'm off out for a beer or two now, it is 9:15pm on a Friday night here after all

Ride on....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dan, I haven't looked for an exploded view of freehub. I thought there might be a large bearing, but I only remember seeing the small roller bearings inside the hub. Are the small roller bearings and the bushing you mentioned, the ones to be concerned with?

LA CHÈVRE
    Dan, I haven't looked for an exploded view of freehub. I thought there might be a large bearing, but I only remember seeing the small roller bearings inside the hub. Are the small roller bearings and the bushing you mentioned, the ones to be concerned with?
    No, the bearings are not a problem at all. Just keep the preload correctly and they will be fine for a long time. It's the actual freehub body that needs more attention. You see, the pawls either roll inside the freehub body or they lock (depending in what direction the wheel spins obviously). When it's not lubed, the pawls are rubbing against the body (not good) if it's not well lubed for too long, you'll end up having to replace the freehub body. When lubed, it just slides and works well. When it's lubed with too much oil or too thick oil or even worse, grease, it gums up the notches and the pawls can't lock into the freehub anymore so you pedal but are not going nowhere. So lube regularly and all will be fine.

The new FTS-X freehub is made of a different material and the pawls are designed differently so it wear less. That still means relubes are necessary but less frequent.

mtbr member
    Guys... thanks for the advice on the Crossmax... as well as the perils of downhill racing while intoxicated I had to shoot the gun due to the close of an Ebay auction and did end up winning a lightly used set of Crossmax SL's (w Lefty hub). They are costing me a about $475 USD (shipping to Canada included)... so I think this is an OK price.

I'm looking forward to trying them out although I'm running out of time... the fall weather in Ontario has been crappy. I think I'm looking as forward to the cosmetics as I am to the performance. These silver beauties will tie in nicely with the brushed aluminum frame and all silver XT drive train.

Thanks again for the feedback and opinions.
    Regards,
    Paul
    BackBaconBoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dan, thanks for info! I will definitely keep a closer eye on the freehub.

Pthorne, I sure like the looks of the silver SL's on my bike:

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Has anyone thought about machining two more slots in the mavic freehubs so two more pawls/springs could be inserted to improve the engagement of freehub?

Has anyone thought about machining two more slots in the mavic freehubs so two more pawls/springs could be inserted to improve the engagement of freehub?

As in, make it more solid? I can't see it making engagement faster, and if you screw it up, that's a seriously expensive "experiment". Nope, I would just get a King, or the new I9 J bend spoke hub, for all the ferrophiles out there, otherwise, just get a set of I9's=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    As in, make it more solid? I can't see it making engagement faster, and if you screw it up, that's a seriously expensive "experiment". Nope, I would just get a King, or the new I9 J bend spoke hub, for all the ferrophiles out there, otherwise, just get a set of I9's=
    And besides, the way it's designed, you would probably just end up with more friction, more wear and thus, more relube to do...

I9 J bend spoke hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I9 J bend spoke hubs?

Yup, if I could figure out how to post a link I would, but I'm dumb that way= Check out the thread in the 29er forum, labled "Finally, a alternative to King hubs" I saw them at the show, cool stuff!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I9 at Interbike

Members who have read this thread: 0