Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96

    lockout question on r600...

    Hey guys, my friend wants to know if the front shock is suppose to lockout 100% or is there suppose to be a little bouince to it. His isn't locking out all the way. Thanks
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  2. #2
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisguy
    Hey guys, my friend wants to know if the front shock is suppose to lockout 100% or is there suppose to be a little bouince to it. His isn't locking out all the way. Thanks
    There should be no movement when the lockout is on. If there is, it means his oil level is low, the fix is very simple. He should take it to his LBS, and have them do a service. And as I am very fond of harping on, if they recommend he send it back to Cannondale, find a new shop, as any "Authorized Cannondale Dealer" should be doing this in house. If they can't, they need to get their authorization pulled till they get a few mechanics that are willing to do something other than true wheels, install drivetrains and change flats. If your buddy has further questions about his fork, have him shoot me a note @ craig@mendoncyclesmith.com. Best of luck!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    Thanks. He said that oil leaked out when he was setting his rebound adjuster. Now why do you suppose that happened??
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  4. #4
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisguy
    Thanks. He said that oil leaked out when he was setting his rebound adjuster. Now why do you suppose that happened??
    Any number of things. Bad seal, bad cartridge, lack of proper maintenance, who knows. It could also not be related at all. These are put together with a healthy helping of grease, once watered done a bit, turn something, it oozes out, OMG a leak! Not.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    My friend took his bike back to the BS where he bought it and they told him his shock was low on air!?! It's not an air shock, is it? We saw no valve in which to pump with air, plus they told him that the oil it leaked when he set his rebound was normal because it was new. Something isn't right here. I don't think this bike shop know what their talking about. We asked another Cannondale dealer and they told us the shock has to be shipped back to Cannondale for service. Can you shed some light on this?
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  6. #6
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisguy
    My friend took his bike back to the BS where he bought it and they told him his shock was low on air!?! It's not an air shock, is it? We saw no valve in which to pump with air, plus they told him that the oil it leaked when he set his rebound was normal because it was new. Something isn't right here. I don't think this bike shop know what their talking about. We asked another Cannondale dealer and they told us the shock has to be shipped back to Cannondale for service. Can you shed some light on this?
    Okay, first thing, any good shop SHOULD have told him this is an air fork, as well as done an initial set up with him, which would have made it patently obvious it was an air shock, as in, him seeing air being put it to set it for his weight. That being said, if he bought it on a crazy busy day, they may have overlooked it, or if he got the Fred salesman who only works one day a week, and knows nothing. Not saying the shops bad, but....maybe? As to oil leaking out, this is a Headshock, or a Lefty, or is it another fork entirely? I guess I should have asked that first, you said lockout, I assumed Cannondale fork.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Okay, first thing, any good shop SHOULD have told him this is an air fork, as well as done an initial set up with him, which would have made it patently obvious it was an air shock, as in, him seeing air being put it to set it for his weight. That being said, if he bought it on a crazy busy day, they may have overlooked it, or if he got the Fred salesman who only works one day a week, and knows nothing. Not saying the shops bad, but....maybe? As to oil leaking out, this is a Headshock, or a Lefty, or is it another fork entirely? I guess I should have asked that first, you said lockout, I assumed Cannondale fork.
    It's the R600 that has the shock on top of the fork, not the lefty. That's an air fork? If so, why did oil leak out when he adjusted the rebound?
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  8. #8
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisguy
    It's the R600 that has the shock on top of the fork, not the lefty. That's an air fork? If so, why did oil leak out when he adjusted the rebound?
    Okay, it's a Headshock. There is no rebound on that fork, what did me "adjust"? The only functional thing on top is the lockout. Flip it on, locked, turn it 1/3 or so rotation, un locked. That's it. The air is in the bottomof the fork, look above the tire, in the bottom of the forks crown, you'll see an air valve. Oil leaking , was it really minor, or was it gurgling out?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Okay, it's a Headshock. There is no rebound on that fork, what did me "adjust"? The only functional thing on top is the lockout. Flip it on, locked, turn it 1/3 or so rotation, un locked. That's it. The air is in the bottomof the fork, look above the tire, in the bottom of the forks crown, you'll see an air valve. Oil leaking , was it really minor, or was it gurgling out?
    Just spoke to him. He doesn't know his bike too well and thought it was a rebound adjuster. Anyway, He said it was a minor leak. The bike shop told him that it was normal and said the reason why his shock wasn't locking out was because it was low on air. Well it's still not locking out. We're going to take it to another bike shop. What do you think it is? Thanks for help, BTW.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  10. #10
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisguy
    The bike shop told him that it was normal and said the reason why his shock wasn't locking out was because it was low on air.

    Umm, yeah, right. A new shop is an excellent idea. Lockout has ZERO to do with the air pressure, if it did, lighter riders would have less lockout than heavier ones? Great idea that would be. There's a shop that should not be allowed to sell Cannondale. The reason it's got movement is that it is low on air. Even if it's a new bike, it was built by humans, there may have been a bubble in the oil that got missed, or a cartridge end cap is loose, and leaking. Regardless, tell shop you take it to that it's not locking completely, and ask if it's due to low air pressure. If they look at you funny, and start talking about oil levels and cartridges, your in the right place. Then tell them their competition told you about the air and see how much they smile= If they go along with the air theory, find yet another shop. This issue takes all of 10 minutes to fix, and involove almost no special tools at all, if they can't do it in house, find a shop that will. This whole aversion to dealing with a Headshock thing is really dumb. If they want to send it back to Cannondale, send it to me, I'll fix it free, for nothing more than the cost of shipping, it's that simple.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    Thanks for your help. We're taking it to my bike shop this weekend and see what happens. I'll post here for the update. BTW, the bike is a F600 not R. My bad.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    Well this is getting to be harder than ever anticipated. We ended up taking the bike to the bike shop that I go to. Although he use to sell Cannondale, he's not familiar with this set-up. He syas he has to take the whole headshok apart to put oil in. There has to be a more simple way that we're missing.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  13. #13
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisguy
    Well this is getting to be harder than ever anticipated. We ended up taking the bike to the bike shop that I go to. Although he use to sell Cannondale, he's not familiar with this set-up. He syas he has to take the whole headshok apart to put oil in. There has to be a more simple way that we're missing.

    If by take the whole thing apart, he means, "I'm gonna have to charge you alot of money, cause it's a major operation" He's full of......, well, you get the point. To get the oil containing cartridge out, takes less than 3 minutes, to complete the job takes under 15. Go elsewhere, or PM me, and I can help.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    I PM'D you.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    I just pm'd you again about what happened today.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    Just wanted to report that the job is completed and the shock is locking out nicely. Being it was the first time we ever serviced one of these new headshok, next time it will be a piece of cake. Went back together very simply. We don't know why it was low on oil, but their was hardly any in their. You know it would be nice when these bike manufacturers come out with these new components, that they at least send a schematic so that servicing would be rather simple, rather than do a trial and error, take it apart, and see how everything works.
    07 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0
    07 Fuji Tahoe Pro

  17. #17
    discombobulated SuperModerator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisguy
    Just wanted to report that the job is completed and the shock is locking out nicely. Being it was the first time we ever serviced one of these new headshok, next time it will be a piece of cake. Went back together very simply. We don't know why it was low on oil, but their was hardly any in their. You know it would be nice when these bike manufacturers come out with these new components, that they at least send a schematic so that servicing would be rather simple, rather than do a trial and error, take it apart, and see how everything works.
    Oddly enough I suspect they dont provide schematics/breakdowns - just so their dealer can do the work. Or the factory can
    I had my Lefty upgraded to TPC and I asked how to adjust it. I was told it was all set. The lack of a knob was throwing me off, and him I guess. I made a knob and I can say the 140mm TPC thing rocks...
    I myself would RELISH working on bikes and getting into forks and stuff....Wish it paid a bit more...Hell I need a new career. Cant offshore bike repair....Can they?
    CDT

  18. #18
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    They can't offshore bike repair, and the more expensive gas becomes.....well, it might be a good time to get involved=

    As far as technical drawings and info, I think the general thought is, the world falls into two categories of shade tree mechanics. Those that should be inside the forks, and will ask the right questions, of the right people and approach the job with a mechanical aptitude. then there are those who are better off, leaving the fork work to someone who is better qualified. Cannondale avoids giving too much info, so folks don't get hurt. Cheers!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.