Thread: little help?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

little help?

I just moved closer to work and want to get a bike to go back and forth (bout 10 miles). I also live in SoCal near some hills and would like to get back into mountain biking.

So... I'm looking at a couple Cannondales

Should I get an F7 and pick up some slick tires for the commute?
    OR
    Pick up a Bad Boy Ultra and get a different set of tires for the hills?

They're pretty different bikes and pretty different price ranges. Is the BBU worth the extra $$?

Here are links to the bikes:
    F7 http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/c...del-8FS7D.html
    BBU http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8BS.html

After reading this forum for a few weeks, I figured this was a good spot to get some sound advice. Any thoughts appreciated!

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    If you plan to hit the trails (and once you do, you will get addicted ) then get the F7 and buy some slicks. It'll feel like a much better bike once you hit the dirt.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you plan of commuting on a daily basis, the bad boy will feel better on the streets, and maybe a little less forgiving on the dirt. If you can live with a slower ride and you think you'll be riding in the trails more often, get the F7, as it will ride better on the dirt.-Danny

mtbr member
    If you can afford a BBU, how come you aren't looking at say an F3 instead of the F7?

Given that you will be riding it everyday, IMHO you'd probably be better off with an F3 over an F7, and it has a Headshock like the BBU (as well as better components in general).
    That F7 comes with a less than stellar, low end shock, compared to the headshok on the F3 and BBU.

I'd really want a headshok vs a standard low end fork if I were commuting daily with the thing. (of course I'm a headshok/Lefty fan to begin with though).

If you can ride and F7 and an F3 back to back, I bet you'll agree!

I'm not really endorsing Fx vs BBU either way, just suggesting that you consider changing the choice from BBU vs F7 to BBU vs F3.
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-28-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    I started with the F7 and its a great bike, and much better than its price would indicate (I'm 6'2 and 220 pounds so I know its a tuff frame) but if I would have known how addictive mountain biking was going to be I would have sprung for a bike with better forks (no rebound on the F7)

Because you only have a 10 mile commute I would go with a mountain bike and buy street tires, I think its easier to make compromises for street that dirt so I would go with a slightly better spec bike like an F5 (fork has rebound and lockout)

no matter what you get budget a little extra for the normal extras grips, seat and pedals

regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by gmcki
    I just moved closer to work and want to get a bike to go back and forth (bout 10 miles). I also live in SoCal near some hills and would like to get back into mountain biking.

So... I'm looking at a couple Cannondales

Should I get an F7 and pick up some slick tires for the commute?
    OR
    Pick up a Bad Boy Ultra and get a different set of tires for the hills?

They're pretty different bikes and pretty different price ranges. Is the BBU worth the extra $$?

Here are links to the bikes:
    F7 http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/c...del-8FS7D.html
    BBU http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8BS.html

After reading this forum for a few weeks, I figured this was a good spot to get some sound advice. Any thoughts appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's some really great feedback - thanks!

Especially good point that an F3 would certainly be more comparable to a BBU. I think I will heed your advices (is that a word?) and get the best MTB I can.

And like you said Ray, the F5 has a better fork. And I can save my extra dollars for a few upgrades once I get a handle on things.

gmcki, meet F5! F5, meet gmcki!

Members who have read this thread: 0