Thread: Lefty swap!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Lefty swap!!

Hi everyone. I currently ride a trail sl29er It's got a 1.5headtube and I've always wanted a lefty. Thinking about doing a swap. I've been seeing the lefty a go for 400-650$ I just need some technical help with a parts list to make sure I'm not forgetting anything and calculate expenses before I take the plunge.

Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Wheel, steerer and stem (or steerer/stem OPI combo unit), appropriate disc brake and adapter, and headset.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    You also need a front wheel with a lefty hub.

mtbr member
    Make sure the Lefty will fit as well. Depending on your frame size, you'll need to measure the height of the head tube including the headset and it will need to be a max of 136.5mm or the Lefty won't fit unless you get one that came from an XL frame and good luck finding one at a decent price. I was going to Lefty my Kona Big Unit and was super excited that I found a really great deal on a rebuilt Lefty, but bubble was burst when I figured out that my size L Kona was 10mm too tall at the head tube even with a ZS headset. At least I have a Lefty Cannondale.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was sure I replied to this thread... but seems my reply is not here..

I have a Lefty on my Jet 9 RDO, had it on my Air 9 RDO and Air 9 before that with no issues. I got it all set up from Jake over at Project 321, he's a good guy and will take you through all the steps to make it work out.

Mendon mentions all the parts you need, but Jake makes them all and as Nubster you need to make sure you are within that 136.5mm and ideally that includes the dustcap on your Headset. In the case of the Jet 9 the Head Tube height is 135 before the dustcap and most dustcaps are 5mm, so after a bit of finagling I managed to get it all done and after a few rides so far all is good, tight and solid, no issues.

Check out the link at Project 321 and if still confused feel free to drop me a PM or shoot Jake a message. When I initially thought about it a few years ago I was scratching my head but it all makes sense now, actually 3 bikes later.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    @Mendon is it possible to use the Cannondale steerer/stem combo on a 1.5" (49mm inner) straight headtube, given that the HT length is ok? what headset is needed?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    @Mendon is it possible to use the Cannondale steerer/stem combo on a 1.5" (49mm inner) straight headtube, given that the HT length is ok? what headset is needed?
    I haven't play with the Cannondale one personally, but believe it will do 1 1/8 as well as tapered, much like the P321 does.

Do note, the SuperMax will not work with the standard converter, it requires it's own version, P321 offers them.

All that said, the critical factor in all of this is the crown race. Not all brands/models of headsets offer the proper conversion crown races for all headset and head tube choices.

Just determine which steerer crown dimension you're working with on that Lefty for all, and work backwards.

Cane Creek has you covered any which way, as does King. Not sure about the rest of the field....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com