mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Lefty Spindle Brake Mounts

anyone ever wear out the brake mounts on their Lefty? what are the options for repair and/or replacement...it looks like the entire spindle assembly needs to be replaced. how much and how hard?

or do you think an adapter for 180 front rotor will remedy the situation, or just a band-aid?

thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    How do they wear out?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

FIRENZE rulez !!
    maybe a crash ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    overtightening, the washer on the bolt is mushroomed and the head of the bolt has been wearing out the mount. my bad, my very bad.

is the lower assembly a replaceable part? i'm getting very disgruntled with my Lefty (not Lefty's fault at all). first i have an unexplainable clunk i think is an SPV problem and now the brake mount.

so far i've been quoted $240 to convert SPV to TPC and now who knows how much for the brake mount error (my error).

LA CHÈVRE
    I see...

I think it can be replaced but is your's messed up to the point it's now unusable? Brake doesn't hold still? Changing to a 180 wont help, maybe even make it worst since the brake will have even more leverage and pull harder on the mounts. As for pricing, it's not very common to replace this part so I have no clue, maybe Mendon will chime in...

As for the clunk, how long has it been since the last bearing reset? Do you have enough preload on the spring? What pressure do you run in the SPV bladder? Too low or too close to the 30PSI minimal limit and it clunks...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i air up to 150 and bleed down to 70-80. as far as bearing reset i do it religously but lately i can't seem to get enough force behing the pumps (i guess like they would be if in th right spot). spring preload has been changed from 1 to 8 turns and everywhere in-between, similar to SPV air and volume. my next guess is air in the system, so i think i'll drain it, pump it and refill it, and while at that i'll check for an SPV bladder hole?. i just got an oil change and quadseal replacement, problems arose right after that. it'll all work out, just take time. the servicer is working with me on this.

hey Mendon, any thoughts on the spindle brake mount assembly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    can you smooth the mount out with a file or end mill and put a hardened washer under the bolt head?? I noticed the same issue...not a very big surface for the bolt head to seat on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    can you smooth the mount out with a file or end mill and put a hardened washer under the bolt head?? I noticed the same issue...not a very big surface for the bolt head to seat on.

i'll give that a shot when it gets worse. i really need "Alumalloy"...as seen on TV. LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0