mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Lefty pulls Left!!!

Hi i have a cannondale 900sx 2001, with headshox lefty front fork. When i got it i noticed when u take your hands off the handlebars it pulls left a little, which i figured was because of the obvious xtra weight on the left side. However porblem is getting worse and it wobbles a bit as well now, when u take hands off handlebars. is this the headset needing new bearings or just how lefty forks work? - should it pull left at all, even when new? thanks for any help, rich

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoo7
    Hi i have a cannondale 900sx 2001, with headshox lefty front fork. When i got it i noticed when u take your hands off the handlebars it pulls left a little, which i figured was because of the obvious xtra weight on the left side. However porblem is getting worse and it wobbles a bit as well now, when u take hands off handlebars. is this the headset needing new bearings or just how lefty forks work? - should it pull left at all, even when new? thanks for any help, rich
    I have 2 Lefty's and they all pull just a bit when you take your hands off. I also assume from the added weight. But it certainly sounds like you are having a different problem with yours. I would have it looked at by your LBS.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Check your cables and brake lines and make sure they are not putting any pressure on the fork. The tension from the cables and lines could cause the bike to pull to the left. I know that was what caused it on my ride. I added some slack and re-routed some things and it worked like a charm. Not to mention there is the compensation factor of your brain thinking you need to adjust how you ride with no hands. You could be leaning ever slightly to one side which could cause the bike to want to turn.

-Ron

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    I'm on my 5th lefty, and they all seem to be a bit different. I had one on a Scalpel that was great no handed - no pull, no shimmy, but I have definitely experienced both pull and a pretty severe shimmy on leftys when riding no handed. It never effected any other aspect of my riding so I just figured "some leftys don't do well no handed", and since I don't often mtn bike no handed I didn't worry about it. My pull and shimmy was definitely not bearing related.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

thanks

cool, thanks to all those who replied i really appreciate the help