mtbr member
    May 2005

Lefty Preload Spring Question

I have an 05 medium Prophet with the Lefty Max 140 FFD. I weigh close to 200 with all my gear. If I preload the red spring with the maximum 8 turns, would that be about the same as changing to a black spring or should I just get a black spring? Is there a titanium equivalent of the black spring that will work in my Lefty model? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I didnt find changing the preload of the red to max the same as an unloaded black. I ended up switching to the blk to reduce fork dive.

I believe the Ti springs only go up to red. They were intended to be used with the SPV Lefty max witch used a softer spring for the same given weight vs the FFD and TPC
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I weigh about 180 and I tried both the black and red with my FFD. The red was definitely too 'springy' no matter what the preload setting. I much prefer the black.

mtbr member

check the spring weight guide

check the spring for your weights i think 220 for the FFD and TCP are a brown spring. the black spring is for 170-200 i think. there is a post on the cannondale forum that list the weights for each spring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The stiffest spring that Cannondale sells for the FFD140 is part number KF213/BRN and is a Brown spring. It is rated for 200-220 lbs.

I am in the process of swapping my factory installed black spring (rated 170-199) for the aforementioned unit. I weigh in at 195+/- and prefer a stiffer set up.

Only $32.00 at the lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I went ahead and got the black spring. I think something was wrong with the way it was assembled originally because the rebound knob did nothing and I couldn't even bottom it out by pushing down on it. When I had both springs out I could tell the black one was stiffer but after putting it back together I can actually bottom out the black spring by pushing down on it and the rebound knob is working now. It's strange that I can bottom out the black but not the red but I'm excited to try it out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The 140 FFD is the "low end lefty". Having said that when assembled correctly the fork rebound knob will make a noticible difference in action.

Did you put the new spring in? If so good for you that is a bit of a job.

What is your weight?

Another thing about the FFD is that make sure the air bleed is working. This means on fork compression you will hear the sound of air leaving the fork aka normal.

Have fun testing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    hey, let me get in here...i've just got an '07 prophet with FFD lefty...i have the red spring inside and it has too much dive for me...i weigh 180 plus ten pounds or so of gear..like trying to bunnyhop and the fork just dives too much...or pulling wheelies.

it's still quite ridable but i think i need a higher rated spring...so am i understanding correctly, that the black spring is the next level and then the brown spring is the stiffest spring available

thanks!
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you check the Cannondale web site you can find a comprehensive list of springs and applications as for all types of Leftys.

Having said that the simple version of FFD 140 springs (3 firmest) is as follows (by part number):

KF213/RED listed as firm 150-169 lbs. rider weight
    KF213/BLK listed as X firm 170-199 lbs. rider weight
    KF213/BRN listed at XX firm 200-220 lbs. rider weight

When looking at spring charts pay attention to which fork it is for i.e. (Carbon, titanium, SPV, TPC, etc.)

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    thanks...i def need to go up one level...hope my dingbat lbs can come through...don't know where else to get that black spring..got to get this bike ready for Mammoth
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Any chance you are in So Cal check out Helens Bike Shop in Santa Monica. I got my spring from them no big issue.

When is Mammoth (I trust that is Mammoth CA) ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    last week of June to mid Sept...ordered the spring but i'm glad i knew all the info ahead of time

mtbr member
    i ended up getting my parts from Mendon cycle in NY and i had to ship my ffd to them for an upgrade to the TCP kit with a brown spring. im at 200lb with out gear so i think the brown will be perfect. im use to a bit stiffer set up. i live in san clemente ca and i might end up selling the black spring once i decided if i like the firmness of the brown.

karl

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    shoot..i was able to order one...can't back out i suppose, let's see if it gets here

mtbr member
    if you dont get it shoot me a message.

Members who have read this thread: 0