mtbr member

Lefty no handed death wobble

Tried to get into my camelbak no handed and almost paid a heavy price...fork wobbled back and forth. Tried it again later on smoother pavement and same thing. If I get any decent amount of speed no handed onlymy Lefty goes into the "death wobble" . What do you guys think...something not perfectly aligned/mounted or symptomatic of the Lefty? Has anyone else noticed this?

DJ

More than somewhat.
    Just remove the left fork leg and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    sounds like you've got something slightly misaligned...could be wheels, could be frame, could even be tires if they have tall knobs (worn unevenly) or are low-quality. If it's so small that it only comes out no-handed, then I wouldn't worry about it personally.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I can ride my Lefty no handed just as long as I can ride my roadie no handed (I admit I'm not great at it, but I can get a decent ways).

Check your cables and alignment. It's not "a Lefty thing" though it could be an "in your head" thing.

mtbr member
    I've noticed the "death wabble" too. I just take my hands off the bars a tiny bit and it starts.
    I'll go down some nasty rocky sh!t full throttle, but I'm scared to death to take my hands of the bars even for a second on the smoothest of streets!

I figured it was normal for a Lefty.

"Just remove the left fork leg and you'll be fine."
    Cypress - your a riot - keep up the good work!
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I find a bit of right cheek sneak, makes all the correction required.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

More than somewhat.
    lol @ cheek sneak.

Lord knows I've got some cheeks.

mtbr member
    I ride mine fine with no hands..there must be something worng with your bike.

dh1
    mtbr member
    I ride mine fine no handed too without problems. Mine is a 29r and I actually think it's easier to ride no handed than my rigid 26 or my road bike. It's real stable.

Just a question, not that I think it would affect the outcome, but did you lock out the suspension?

mad aussie
    Mine used to have a uncontrollable wobble at higher speeds no handed, I traced it down to an out of true tire where the casing was distorted, I have no issues riding no handed. Check your tire and front wheel trueness.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Yea, no handed riding is fine when going slow but up around 25 I experienced the "death wobble" for the first time last week. It comes on suddenly but I was able to react and grab the bars without incident. Maybe someday I might have the guts to see what would happen if I let it wobble. It might just wobble and not get worse. Or it might go away. I bet it is just a small window of speed when the wobble happens. Faster might smooth it out.

But like was said above, let's not rule out the tires. This was the first time it has happened to me and I just got new tires (with tubes. I was running ust before). But I can't say for sure I've ridden that fast with no hands before. Probably.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I just correct by leaning to one side a bit.

Albany West Oz
    You guys use hands!?!? I'll give it a try.

dh1
    mtbr member
    I don't know how much this concerns you....or if it warrants investigation, but I would be curious to find out why it's happening. As I mentioned above, my F29 is rock solid at speed. Hands off or on the bars, it doesn't make any difference

I am completely guessing, but here are my thoughts:
    tire/tube/sealant balance issue (perhaps a big booger of Stan's sealant?)
    worn wheel bearing
    disc brake with slight drag issue (although this should be obvious)
    harmonic frequency with materials in the wheel/fork causing vibration (less likely)

There really isn't anything about the design of the Lefty that would cause a shimmy without sloppiness somewhere in the system.

I would put the bike in a stand and spin the tire as fast as possible by hand. Notice any wobble without any outside forces? From a gyroscopic perspective, if the wheel is well balanced, it should get more steady at higher speed...even to the extent that it would resist outside forces acting on the centripetal force. If it is out of balance, it vibration will get more pronounced the faster it spins.

If it gets wobbly when spinning in the stand, try it again without the tire to see if the condition persists.

OR< ride with your hands on the bars and forget about it

LA CHÈVRE
    Two words: cable pull.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oh and it should be said that this appears to be the only negative thing about the Lefty (if it is the Lefty's fault). In all other areas it trounces other forks. It should also be noted that after I grabbed the bars I couldn't feel any type of wobble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Two words: cable pull.
    that's what i would guess too - check the brake and shift cables around the steerer tube.

fritz

Music & Bikes
    I always get that " no hands wobble" thing passed 85mph...
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof
    I always get that " no hands wobble" thing passed 85mph...
    Me too but only going uphill!

mtbr member
    Nope, my cables are fine. It could be caused by the bearings if they have any play in them. Because the Lefty would weight the left side more than the right it could cause a wobble. No?

dh1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    Nope, my cables are fine. It could be caused by the bearings if they have any play in them. Because the Lefty would weight the left side more than the right it could cause a wobble. No?
    If there was play in the bearings you would feel it with your hands pretty easily...and you should be able to rock the wheel back and forth on the hub/axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My prophet with lefty is fine no hands at speed, but my friends rush with lefty has the death wobble you speak of. Scary seeing him no hands at speed!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a brand new Carbon Rush 2 and got the no hand death wobble bad my 2nd ride out. Since then I increased the preload on the spring in my Lefty Fox RLC and it seems better. I will try again this weekend at higher speeds for sure but too much sag may have been my problem.

That said, I do have a bit of play in my front wheel. Not sure what I can do about it as the Lefty hub isn't adjustable (cones) like all my previous bikes. Does anyone know what to do when you develop play in an XTR Lefty Hub? Can't be wear as it's anly been ridden 6 times. I should state that it's a minor amount of side to side play. Doubt it's enough to cause the wobble I was getting. I have more play in old bikes laying around and they ride no hands fine.

Loving the Rush btw!!!

LA CHÈVRE
    The side to side play was there from the get go or has it develop over time? It has been seen before, it's probably a tolerance issue in the hub, a spacer/shim between the hub shell and the disc side bearing will take care of it. I had to do that on my Crossmax SL, the LBS just gave me a few of the spacers for free...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you experienced why i don't like the lefty fork--no matter how much i wanted to. its inherently not evenly balanced on both sides and whether this happened to me once and placebo effect took over I'm not sure, but i prefer standard forks. love cannondale frames. dislike the lefty.

mtbr member
    Right, cause riding with no hands at speed is extrememly important. I defy you to notice any unbalance while holding the bars.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Although not of extreme importance it is a nice luxery during a long day in the saddle! After all, the Rush is tauted as a Marathon rig. Anyway, my wobble is back big time so I will try the shim Dan mentioned to get rid of the slight play in my lefty hub that has been present since day 1. (Thanks Dan!)

Another thought is it could be the Stan's sealant I'm running. I noticed a lesser death wobble on my Moots YBB last year running Stans so that could be the culprit as these are the only bikes I've ever run with sealant and they are the only ones I've experienced this level of no hand wobble.

Again, loving the Rush and the Lefty otherwise and having no issues as long as I keep both hands on the grips! Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't really understand the big deal with the inability to ride with no hands.. it's kind of like saying "I can't take both hands off my steering wheel of my car without it drifting out of the lane while I'm going 65MPH down the highway!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY CAR???"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    I don't really understand the big deal with the inability to ride with no hands.. it's kind of like saying "I can't take both hands off my steering wheel of my car without it drifting out of the lane while I'm going 65MPH down the highway!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY CAR???"

I did not know this was a BIG DEAL ONLY forum.

There is no big deal.....I just noticed it....it made me curious if anyone else noticed it or if I should investigate wheels being true etc. as listed above.

I love my rush...love my lefty and would not trade them for anything. I dont ride no handed often...like you said its not a big deal.

Dan

mtbr member
    By the way...if my car was drifting...I would be asking people who know cars if they think I should start with alignment, balancing, pressure or new tires...even though its not really a big deal I would want to know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrush
    By the way...if my car was drifting...I would be asking people who know cars if they think I should start with alignment, balancing or new skins...even though its not really a big deal.
    You didn't read the FAQ's? When a topic reaches two pages it is officially becomes a BIG DEAL. With this designation comes the requisite sarcasm, criticism and second guessing.
    Last edited by vitaccop; 05-07-2008 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I worked with cars for a number of years, and I can tell you that if your car starts drifting to one side when you take your hands off the wheel it IS a big deal. It could cause an accident.It could mean that your alignment is off (too many potholes? hitting curbs?) and it could prematurelly wear off your tires, not to mention cause more steering components to wear out. Why just ignore it, when it could be so much easier to correct the problem?

More than somewhat.
    Photo stolen from Dan Gerous's awesome bloggings!

Last edited by Cypress; 05-08-2008 at 09:58 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    Hummm, I think I've seen that picture somewhere...

More than somewhat.
    Edited...

mtbr member
    New front tire...no handed wobble gone!

Lovin' my Lefty

mtbr member
    Cool!

Hey, what ever happened to the Cypress guy?
    He was more than somewhat entertaining.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Master Blaster
    check your wheels, when ever i get wobble no handed i usually just have to true the wheels. Check the back wheel too cause it will do the same thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I forget what message board I saw this on, not sure if it was mtbr or elsewhere, but someone brought this up and someone countered with like 5 pictures of Tinker Juarez and others riding without hands at the end of races, and the solution was that they were able to do this because they were slightly tilting their bikes to the side to counter the slight gravitational unbalance of the Lefty. I forget which way they tilted the bike though, that seems like an important part haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i find that it is only an issue if the weight gets too far on the bike. If you lean a little bit forward to keep the weight on the front it was worked out fine for me. Or wait a minute, i got the deathwobble with a headshock, not a lefty. Sorry, i can't contribute at all then

mtbr member
    New tires fixed my wobble too. Serfas Burner is the best front tire I've ever used.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    my seat has a bent rail due to a wipe out I had and picked that up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrush View Post
    Tried to get into my camelbak no handed and almost paid a heavy price...fork wobbled back and forth. Tried it again later on smoother pavement and same thing. If I get any decent amount of speed no handed onlymy Lefty goes into the "death wobble" . What do you guys think...something not perfectly aligned/mounted or symptomatic of the Lefty? Has anyone else noticed this?

DJ
    I was not as lucky as you were. Fell at 33km/h on a tar road after lefty started doing the death wobble. A friend with a lefty told me about it, and at first I thought mine didn't get it and that there was something wrong with his bike. It only happens at certain speeds and I was in that range when I cycled through a swarm of insects causing my face to itch terribly. I then removed my sunglasses and wiped my forehead with my other hand, when I looked down, it was too late and I hit the road face first. Always loved my Lefty, but it is as simple as this: if I was on my old bike, this would not have happened.

I know that a cyclist should never ride with no hands and I never do. This was an instinctive reaction and probably the only time I have taken both hands off the bars since I started cycling and paid dearly for it. Stitches in my chin, eyebrow and right wrist. Doctor also initially thought I had cracked my first vertebra, but radiologist said it was not necessary for a further scan.
    www.Chain-L.co.za
    Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 2
    Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra
    On One Inbred 29er Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Once I wore out the original tires and replaced them with something else the wobble went away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got that same wobble on my Stumpjumper going down Glendora Mtn Rd at 30mph, just needed to get the front wheel trued up, and it had just been in the shop, but they have to settle in.

In a car that drifts on an uncambered road, no diamond grooves in the surface to pull the tires, and in a straight line, yes, it needs to be looked at. It's an alignment issue and will at minimum wear your tires unevenly, then you can get balance issues which will make the tires start to cup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Oh, and lovin' the photo!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    And the buddy I used to ride singletrack with had a Lefty, he loved it, but I remember he said he didn't always trust it. Now I know why. :/

mtbr member
    I regularly ride mine no handed, never had a problem...
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Members who have read this thread: 0