Lefty Max TPC springs vs. RLC springs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Lefty Max TPC springs vs. RLC springs

I have a Lefty Max TPC from around 2003 with 130mm of travel. I'm looking for a blue spring (the medium weight range). I found several blue springs from a 140mm travel Lefty RLC. The TPC spring is 230mm in length, the RLC springs are listed as being 235mm in length. There are preload spacers in the TPC and I was wondering if I could just take out several preload spacers and stick the RLC spring in the TPC Lefty? What I need to know is the ID and OD of the RLC spring to see if it matches my TPC spring. I'd be willing to try the conversion if the measurements were close enough.

I'm not looking for more travel, just a new spring.

Thanks,
    Andy B.
    Main Ride: 2016 Jekyll Carbon 2
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Interested in this myself, nobody has tried this?
    Blades don't need reloading

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It was killing me not knowing, so I have one of the springs on the way. When it gets here I'll see if it will fit and post an update. If it doesn't fit, I have a spare spring in case I get an RLC (or I can just put the spring on eBay). If it works, all the better.

Andy B.
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Update

The blue 140mm RLC spring showed up today, so of course I had to see if it would fit. I am happy to say, the blue RLC spring just drops right in!

As noted in the manuals, the RLC spring is around 235mm long, and the TPC spring is 231mm long. Sorry, I didn't grab a photo because the old TPC green spring was covered with about a pound of red grease and I just wanted to get the thing in to see what happened, but I did lay the springs side by side, and I'd say the difference was right around 4-5mm.

So, that meant I had the equivalent of about two pre-load spacers of extra length, which would seem to be no big deal. Now, if you really wanted to get crazy, there is a black pre-load spacer in the TPC that is 36.6mm long, so if you were sure you wanted to do this conversion, and didn't want the extra spacer length, you could always take a few mm off the big 36.6mm pre-load spacer. I didn't worry about it and just left it as it was.

In the TPC manual, Cannondale recommends a max of 4 pre-load spacers, which means two of them probably puts the blue spring somewhere in the 165 lb range for average riders, which is pretty close to my weight with the Camelback on. The weight range for the blue spring is 150-180 lbs. I have another TPC Lefty Max with a real TPC blue spring, and I would say that is pretty close because I don't have any pre-load spacers in it and I could probably use one or two.

I'm hoping to go for a ride tomorrow, so we'll see how this thing actually works.

I'll report back what happens.
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

Members who have read this thread: 1