mtbr member
    May 2005

Lefty Max Carbon TPC conversion

Hi I am sure this has been covered before, so sorry to anybody whom this peeves for taking up your precious time, buttttt:
    Can a Carbon Lefty Max be converted to TPC damper system? If so is it difficult for someone with a mediocum of mechanical skill to do? And finally what do I need besides the TPC internals (rebound and compression) and a new suitable spring?
    Thanks
    Alex

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by alhoff
    Hi I am sure this has been covered before, so sorry to anybody whom this peeves for taking up your precious time, buttttt:
    Can a Carbon Lefty Max be converted to TPC damper system? If so is it difficult for someone with a mediocum of mechanical skill to do? And finally what do I need besides the TPC internals (rebound and compression) and a new suitable spring?
    Thanks
    Alex

Yes.

Most likely.

Nothing but the time to do it, and some oil.

Any more info and I'd get peeved.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So you are going from SPV (I thought the carbons had that) to TPC. I thought Cdale considered the SPV to be the top end dampener........Hummmmm. I hear the TPC is the way to go anyway......

When I can get my butt off my bike, I will be doing the FFD to TPC upgrade. I looked at the Cdale manual on how the remove and reassemble the dampener and I looks easy. They made it look a little too easy.

If I'm wrong on this, Craig at MendonCycleSmith is the expert on Lefty repair. He can help and even sell you the TPC with all you need.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 04-16-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    yeah, ill take your SPV gutts!!!!

mnt bike laws of physics
    I got Craig @ MendonCycleSmith to do mine. Highly recommended!
    I kept the same spring and just increased the preload and it works out perfectly. While he's at it he will also give your Lefty some well deserved lube and care for a nominal fee.
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 04-17-2008 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    yeah, ill take your SPV gutts!!!!
    I think cdale wants like $300 for those...........ouch

mtbr member
    May 2005

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Sorry about the I went about asking, sometimes I get weird... too weird.
    Alex

mtbr member
    so... ive ridden the SPV and the TPC. why would you want to go to the TPC?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    so... ive ridden the SPV and the TPC. why would you want to go to the TPC?
    Can you give some more details on what you liked SPV vs TPC?

mtbr member
    May 2005

why SPV to TPC?

I have never ridden the Lefty TPC, but I have a Prophet 4X with a coil ROCO, and I figured that a TPC Lefty would actually be a better match, because for right or wrong I like to think of the bike as a "mini DH".
    I am not going to get rid of my SPV internals anytime soon, as they are quite expensive, and maybe I will change the role that the bike plays again.
    Okay so how long does it take to do the conversion? I guess I would just triple the time that it takes for someone with a good amount of experience.
    Alex

mtbr member
    the SPV has manitou guts. and i like the dampening better. felt a little quicker to respond vrs the TPC.

why do you guys like the TPC?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the SPV has manitou guts. and i like the dampening better. felt a little quicker to respond vrs the TPC.

why do you guys like the TPC?
    I would love to hear more on this two. I have not ridden either, but from what I have read here and other places, I have come to this conclusion:

If you like to blast down the hills and small bump absorbtion is more important than climbing, then go TPC.
    If climbing efficiancy is your priority over small bump and blasting down hill, then SPV is your way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, basically it's that easy. I was really tempted to get a tpc just to try it (have a spv evolve now), but i got kinda side tracked - sorry craig ( did you get the pm concerning the ccdb?)- meaning i want to try my brothers prophet with a 36 fork (mx frame) before i decide anything and get a new fork (already have a 08 talas rc2 on my other bike that i can through on the mx, though it might be replaced under warrenty real soon - which further complicates things....). If the 36 works out better on that one due to increased dh capabilitis without too much of an am comprimise, i'm gonna steal his lefty max carbon If not i'm going back to obtaining a tpc version or rebuilding my current to tpc to try it. As an enduro rider with the prophet as my plaything i'm more concerned about dampening abilities than (super) efficiency - though it goes without saying that it needs to be pretty efficient, but i do find the max spv to work quite nice (as one can just run em with less spv pressure if one finds the ride too harsh.)

tpc (+) and spv are both manitou internals.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I picked up a carbon 140 Max and ran it for a while. I never could get the SPV to work to my satisfaction. It seemed that jacking up the SPV pressure stiffened the Lefty w/o affecting compression speed much. I had a 130 Max TPC+ previously, and had it dialed in quickly just like I wanted it - so I TPC'd the carbon 140 and it dialed right in as well.

But I realized the difference between the 130 TPC+ and the 140 TPC in the process and proceeded to TPC+ the carbon 140 (requires travel limiting, but I already did that to 29erize it). TPC+ adds a 2nd floating piston to the comp damper, which gives you 2 compression rates - more tunable.

I will note that if I stand and stomp on the pedals, the Lefty TPC+ does bob a bit - as currently set. But it works so sweet the other 95% of the time I can't bring myself to mess with it.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    actually i wish i had either a SPV or TPC. i have a fox talas on my prophet. but a lefty means, new headset,stem, and wheel along with a lefty...

but i just like the SPV better, but thats just me.. and im used to a 100mm DLR!!! haha

Ridin' dirty!
    but i just like the SPV better, but thats just me..
    Same here. More efficient when pedaling hard or when climbing...less brake dive.
    Downside is no matter how you adjust your SPV pressure the fork will always be less plush especially when going slow/cruising.
    TPC feels like an Escalade...
    SPV feels like a Porsche Cayenne...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    TPC feels like an Escalade...
    SPV feels like a Porsche Cayenne...
    perfect analogy! haha

mtbr member
    Is SPV better in small bump compliance than FFD? Has anyone gone from FFD to SPV?
    Last edited by Duncan1104; 04-21-2008 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yeah, i've got FFD too...what kind of setup changes can i make (i.e. oil height etc.)...only has rebound knob at top
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Dr Gadget is IN
    The damper chamber on a Max is completely filled. The closed cell foam sheet takes care of volume change w/o foaming issues.

You can change FFD compression damping by viscosity changes - but it will change the rebound at the same time. So for the effort involved I'd just spring for the TPC compression damper ($100? +new oil)and screw it in. Then it's as easy as twisting a one knob rather than 1)mix oil 2)refill damper 3)reset rebound 4)make up mind on next oil viscosity mix 5)repeat

YMMV
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am wanting to do this conversion as well.
    I have a 130mm lefty max and want to convert it into a carbon 130 max with tpc.
    I know that it would look killer, but I am looking at the weight savings.

How much weight would be shed by using the upper carbon max tubing and head tube?
    How much weight is shed by losing the coil spring and going pbr?

I am currently trying to build the ultimate light weight old school Jekyll trail bike weighing around 20-22lbs.
    I am starting from a Jekyll 2000 with a complete XTR setup.

Any help would be appreciated!

Members who have read this thread: 0