Lefty Max 140mm reset, another way to do it....- Mtbr.com
    meh....

Lefty Max 140mm reset, another way to do it....

I've never been able to reset the fork the way described on this board, or in the manual. So I did it another way.

I removed the spring, I had the damper out for a regrease session (SPV). I removed the top cap from the lower stanchion so I could look at the top of the bearings. I measured the fork length, it was 700mm, 20mm-30mm short. I could see the bearings looking down into the upper tube, 2 were flush with the top of the lower, and 2 were down. With the top of the lower removed I could actually pull the fork to full extension. I'd pull a little, remeasure, look. I did this a few times until I could see the 2 low bearings flush with the top of the lower. Measured 726mm. Perfect. Now I compress the fork, re-install the top of the lower, remeasure, short. Now I could reset as described here and in the manual. Measured 726mm, took the top of the lower off, looked, verified all bearings flush, perfect. Finish the rebuild.

Monte

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

-

Be careful. You need to have something installed in the top of the inner leg so that the bearings don't travel beyond the top of the inner tube. If they do, then you'll again have reduced travel and the risk of damaged bearings...not to mention that the telescope can come apart this way, too.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r
    Be careful.
    Everything he said, 100% louder too.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r
    Be careful. You need to have something installed in the top of the inner leg so that the bearings don't travel beyond the top of the inner tube. If they do, then you'll again have reduced travel and the risk of damaged bearings...not to mention that the telescope can come apart this way, too.
    The drag from all the bearings made it pretty hard to extend the fork, even without the top nut. No worries about ripping the fork apart.

Once I had the 2 low bearings flush with the top of the lower I could see the other 2 bearings were sticking up past it when the fork was extended. All you do is compress the fork, all of the bearings go below the top of the lower, then re-install the top nut. It's all good. Now you have to do another reset. But you are pushing the 2 high bearings down, not pulling the 2 low bearings up. I couldn't get it to reset doing it the normal way.

Monte

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    I could see the other 2 bearings were sticking up past it when the fork was extended.
    This is a common time for them to crack, hence the warning. Particularly since it sounds like you have a "tight" fork. All the bearings are under some pressure, and are free of that when above the inner leg. Dragging them back in, often cause breakage. YMMV, but I wouldn't do it that way. Next time you have the fork serviced, ask them to lighten your bearing preload a smidge, this shouldn't be such a battle for you.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0