mtbr member
    May 2006

Lefty Max 130 Axle To Crown?

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but I haven't seen it yet. Does anyone yet know the axle to crown distance on the new Lefty Max 130? I'm very curious about whether it would work to put one on my 06 Scalpel. If it was about 20 mm longer than the Lefty Speed DLR 110, then according to my calculations on my large frame it would change the head angle from 70 to about 69 degrees - which is exactly what I want - a bike that pedals like my Scalpel but steers like a Rush on steeper descents. (I know I could just get an 08 Scalpel, but there are three issues there: 1) it would likely cost more than a new fork, even after I sell my old Scalpel. 2) That is only a 69.5 degree head angle, and I want a 69 degree head angle. 3) I haven't tried one, but I suspect that the new scalpel has a least a slight bit more pedal bob than the older design, and even the older one still has more than I want even with max pro-pedal on. I know - I want the impossible, a bike that pedals exactly like a fully rigid bike with the traction benefits of suspension. So far, the older scalpel design is the closet thing I've found to perfection in this regard.)

mnt bike laws of physics
    I called Cdale tech last week about that and "nobody" knows yet. I too am interested.
    Yes it should be about 1 degree slacker.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Looks like it won't be available aftermarket until June at the earliest mabey July.

mnt bike laws of physics
    OK I had someone measure an alloy PBR today and he said it was 500mm A-C (carbon model will be the same). My Max is 512mm and my SL is 471mm so it is about 29mm longer than the SL which means about 1.3 degrees slacker and 10mm longer wheelbase

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    edit: ok, scratch what I said if anyone saw it. Fox claims their standard 32 140mm forks are 510mm. So....that means that the Rize 4 w/ a Float up front is going to have a head angle closer to 67.5? I wouldn't like that. Why didn't they just get 130mm floats? Fox still does a ton of them OEM.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    edit: ok, scratch what I said if anyone saw it. Fox claims their standard 32 140mm forks are 510mm. So....that means that the Rize 4 w/ a Float up front is going to have a head angle closer to 67.5? I wouldn't like that. Why didn't they just get 130mm floats? Fox still does a ton of them OEM.
    Actually crazy, the angles would change a tad under 1/2 degree(depending on the wheelbase), so it would be more like a 68 HA, but I agree the 130 would work better. What concers me, besides the slack angles, is that with a rising rate suspension you can't get away with using very little sag(like you can with the Rush) so with a 13" BB it would be too low for my liking. And there is no way to modify the Rize to run a longer shock like I did with my Rush which with a 650b wheel up front now has a 69.5 HA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yeah, the bb is a bit low for me too, but hopefully without the bob-prone nature of the rush, it won't be as much of a problem. I'ma probably end up throwing fatter tires on mine too, so perhaps it will help a bit. Also, bb drop is .4in on rush, 0 on rize. sounds helpful, whatever the heck that means ( I'm guessing it means rush w/ proper sag drops more)...

WHOA hold the phone! According to the Rize supplemental manual, max fork length(A2C?) is 530mm!! A fox 140mm is 510, so I guess that's like a qr 160mm fork (fox 36's are 545). That strikes me as a bit odd...

references:
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf

Members who have read this thread: 3