Red Rider

Lefty Maintenance/Tune Up Questions

Hello fellow Cannondalers,

I have a Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2, 110 mm that I got off a 2006 women's medium Rush. I am in the process of building up a 2001 F600 frame with this shock and had a few questions before I bolted it on.

1. I have had the shock stored in my parts bin laying on its side for almost a year. Would storing it like that for so long affect its operation or cause stiction in the shock?

2. Anyone ever had one of these serviced? What is the cost of getting it done at an authorized Cannondale shop or does it have to be sent in to Cannondale? What's the expected turn around time for the service?

3. I'm pretty sure a few people in here have done their own service to this shock. What is the cost and time involved? Point me to any good links if you got 'em.

4. Like I said previously, this came off a women's medium Rush. Would I have any issues regarding my size and weight using this shock (I am 6'2", 175 lbs)? I was wondering if a lighter or heavier weight of oil is used in each Lefty based on the rider and intended use and if so, what weight should I use in this shock?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.....
    RIDE OR DIE...

Red Rider
    I also forgot to ask, were there ever any recalls on this shock? I didn't see any on Cannondale's website or in the recall forum here but it never hurts to ask.
    RIDE OR DIE...

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redrider_stx
    I also forgot to ask, were there ever any recalls on this shock? I didn't see any on Cannondale's website or in the recall forum here but it never hurts to ask.

To my (limited) knowledge the recall was 2007 forks only. Locktight issue on assembly, not a design issue, so the 06's should be fine.

LA CHÈVRE
    1. It could create some issues, if the oil didn't move for a long period, some seals or parts of seals could have been out of the oil so can dry and then leak...

2. Some shops (the good ones) do it themselves, some (the bad ones) send everything to Cannondale. The second option takes longer and costs more, if it's all you have available, I suggest sending it to Craig at MendonCycleSmith, turnaround time is fast, it's much cheaper than sending it to Cannondale and he really knows what he's doing.

3. You need a few specific tools, patience, time and expect to get bummed at one point but it's doable, search around here, there is a lot of info.

4. The DLR2 is air sprung and I'm pretty sure the oil is the same on all sizes but they have a negative spring that is weight specific. The larger the bike it came off, the stiffer the spring, on Feminine models, it must be pretty soft. They can be swapped but I don't know how hard it is to do though as I never did this operation myself... If you need to have it serviced, ask for a spring swap at the same time.

5. As CougarTrek said, your Lefty is safe and unrecalled.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Cyclist of Borg
    [QUOTE=Dan Gerous]

2. Some shops (the good ones) do it themselves, some (the bad ones) send everything to Cannondale. The second option takes longer and costs more, if it's all you have available, I suggest sending it to Craig at MendonCycleSmith, turnaround time is fast, it's much cheaper than sending it to Cannondale and he really knows what he's doing.
    QUOTE]

I second Mendon. I sent him my Lefty on a thursday and had it back on wednesday. he changed the seales and oil and cleaned it. for 35 plus shipping. I highly recommend him. Everything i have read before and after tells me he is the go to guy for leftys....bar none

Members who have read this thread: 0