Thread: Lefty hub drag

mtbr member

Lefty hub drag

Hola,

My lefty front hub drag is hopefully only a problem psychologically and not affecting my lap times, but I'd like to get rid of it just the same. I'm running the Cannondale Omega front hub on an '06 Scalpel. I managed to get rid of the initial dust seal squeek with a bit of oil, but the hub drag remains.

Is it just the huge size of the bearings that causes the drag and it's just intrinsic to the design? Do Mavic or other brands of lefty hubs have less bearing drag than Cannondale's hubs? What brand of lefty hubs has the fastest bearings/ dust seals?

(BTW, I tested the drag without the brake calipers to make sure it wasn't brake drag).

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Some drag is inherent, and unavoidable when using cartridge bearings. Having used both Cannondale, Mavic, and now I9 hubs, they all run about the same. If you are tool happy, and don't mind dorking around, pop the bearings out, and remove the inner seal from each bearing, and re-install. Want to be an even bigger weenie? Clean the grease out at the same time, and run oil in place of grease. Please note, if you do this, weather sealing is GREATLY reduced, and you will need to pull them apart every few rides to clean and service them, but it will reduce drag. Good luck=
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    muchas gracias!

good info.

Members who have read this thread: 0