mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Lefty fork question for a newbie

hi, I'll be getting my cannondale lefty f800 tomorrow and have a few newbie questions

how would I be mounting a computer sensor on a lefty fork since it's inverted and the place where you would normally mount the sensor on a conventional fork is taken up by the lefty boot. How did you guys who own a lefty do it?

What do you pump up the fork with( yeah i know with a pump but what kinda pump? tire pump?) how much psi should I pump up the fork to?

Thanks for answers.

mtbr member

Lefty

search the threads and you will find multiple threads on mounting a computer to a lefty. any shock pump will work to put air in the lefty, fox makes a good one. and depennding on your weight---measure your sag for the air pressure

hope this helps
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    search the threads and you will find multiple threads on mounting a computer to a lefty. any shock pump will work to put air in the lefty, fox makes a good one. and depennding on your weight---measure your sag for the air pressure

hope this helps
    get ready to make a custom get up...
    the best that I have found for WIRELESS is bend a 1/2 inch wide aluminium strip to position your transmitter above the brake caliper. Use one of the brake caliper screws to hold the strip in place. Anything too flimsy will vibrate and wont work.

Some people say that Vetta makes a transmitter which will work when strapped to the bottom of the fork with the magnet attached to the brake rotor.

I havent tried vetta, but every single transmitter I have ever tried will not work as the distance is too great from bottom of the fork to handlebar, hence my above solution.
    R.I.P 26ers....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    depend on what type of computer sensor you have mount, mine use zip tie so i just cut the old zip tie on the lower boot and zip tie both the mount and boot together. if you have wireless you don't have to worry about the routing of the cable but i like to use wire because it is you don't have to worry about lineing up the sensor with the computer and one less battery to worry about.http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=81822 also check this link out, it have some pic of how i mount mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hi, thanks for ya'll kind help and reply. But doesn't any brand make a lefty specific speedometer at all? I've purchased a cateye cordless 7 but I don't think the sensor is able to fit on to the massive lefty fork leg. I would very much prefer to fix an OEM part and modifications would be secondary.

Also, I am told that the f800 doesn't come with a lefty frame bumper and my dealer seemed pretty reluctant to order me one part # HD215/. Anyway, I've substituted it with a DIY rubber pad (see attached)

Is there an online store that I can get a hold of cannondale parts from? Or if there's anyone who would want to sell an extra frame bumper (HD215/)??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Atomant; 03-22-2005 at 06:33 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    You definitly have the worst Cannondale dealer Atomant, all Leftys should come with the frame bumper...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You definitly have the worst Cannondale dealer Atomant, all Leftys should come with the frame bumper...
    I know, let's hope cannondale read this as well. so can someone just help me out?

nnn
    mtbr member
    You could mount it on the rear wheel? I'm not sure if it works with cordless

mtbr member

Rear mount`

i have mine mounted on the rear of my jekyll and have for 3 years. it's a cateye enduro 2 and i had to buy a rear mount kit------------but it works great and still going strong!
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

mtbr member

Lefty w/sensor mounted on rear wheel stay

Quote Originally Posted by Atomant
    hi, I'll be getting my cannondale lefty f800 tomorrow and have a few newbie questions

how would I be mounting a computer sensor on a lefty fork since it's inverted and the place where you would normally mount the sensor on a conventional fork is taken up by the lefty boot. How did you guys who own a lefty do it?

What do you pump up the fork with( yeah i know with a pump but what kinda pump? tire pump?) how much psi should I pump up the fork to?

Thanks for answers.
    When I purchased my Cannondale Scalpel 900, the consenses at the time, with the lefty owners who had one in my area, said the rear wheel would be a good choice, to mount the sensor. They placed an extra-long line running down the frame and along the left rear chain stay. This is where my sensor is mounted. My first concern was that trail debris(twigs and branches) laying on the ground would eventually kick up and snag the wiring or zip-ties and rip it off. Well, after 400+miles on my bike, it hasn't happened. Although I don't ride b___s to the w___s, I have crossed over fallen trees, and log crossings with no problem of wiring being snagged. The fair amount of zip ties keep the wiring from slapping the bike - no annoying sounds while trail riding. And I haven't checked current models of computers for lefty's - happy w/what i got.