LBS not Supporting CDale- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    143

    LBS not Supporting CDale

    I just moved to the Birmingham area after being in Idaho for almost 3 years. I needed a new lid so I went to the LBS I had frequented when I visited here to ride several times a year for 10 years. Now this is the most popular store around just about 5 miles from the best riding around. To my surprise there was not a single CDale mountain bike in the joint. A few road bikes but no mountain bikes. As I was paying for the helmet, I inquired about the bikes. I was told "You know CDale was purchased by a new company so we are getting out of CDale because we don't know how they will BE now". If anybody affiliated with the store I'm talking about is looking, I'm dissapointed in you. I know its about making money, and keeping the family fed, but why not give CDale a chance. If that is the attitude most LBS take, then CDale probably is doomed and we'll see them in Walmart someday. For any other shops out there, I hope you will stick with the CDale faithful and continue to support our neeeds.

  2. #2
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,526
    There is NO WAY Cannondale will ever be at Wal-Mart. As a vendor/distributor, Wal-Mart is way too cheap to buy C'Dales at cost. Look at all the other made in China crap they carry. It consists of about 85% of their entire inventory. No way.....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    399

    Thanks for sharing, but you're preaching to the choir

    So why didn't you call them out? You're posting in an unaffiliated forum regarding a brand they don't care about and hoping they see it to express your disappointment.

    Why didn't you ask whether the owner was present and tell him/her you're a Cannondale fan and you speak with your dollars, and if they want your business to carry Cannondales? You might have also better understood their concerns / issues with Dorel or even Cannondale. They might have had issues in the past. Perhaps they're justified in they're thinking and what they really need is a call / visit / other sign of support from Cannondale / Dorel. Maybe you might have posted differenty. Maybe it might have been a plea to Cannondale to reach out to this cool dealer with deep community roots to make ammends / reassurements.

    Sorry, I don't understand the point of the post. You went there, observed something, learned nothing, and told us about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by tracyclifton
    I just moved to the Birmingham area after being in Idaho for almost 3 years. I needed a new lid so I went to the LBS I had frequented when I visited here to ride several times a year for 10 years. Now this is the most popular store around just about 5 miles from the best riding around. To my surprise there was not a single CDale mountain bike in the joint. A few road bikes but no mountain bikes. As I was paying for the helmet, I inquired about the bikes. I was told "You know CDale was purchased by a new company so we are getting out of CDale because we don't know how they will BE now". If anybody affiliated with the store I'm talking about is looking, I'm dissapointed in you. I know its about making money, and keeping the family fed, but why not give CDale a chance. If that is the attitude most LBS take, then CDale probably is doomed and we'll see them in Walmart someday. For any other shops out there, I hope you will stick with the CDale faithful and continue to support our neeeds.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes
    So why didn't you call them out? You're posting in an unaffiliated forum regarding a brand they don't care about and hoping they see it to express your disappointment.

    Why didn't you ask whether the owner was present and tell him/her you're a Cannondale fan and you speak with your dollars, and if they want your business to carry Cannondales? You might have also better understood their concerns / issues with Dorel or even Cannondale. They might have had issues in the past. Perhaps they're justified in they're thinking and what they really need is a call / visit / other sign of support from Cannondale / Dorel. Maybe you might have posted differenty. Maybe it might have been a plea to Cannondale to reach out to this cool dealer with deep community roots to make ammends / reassurements.

    Sorry, I don't understand the point of the post. You went there, observed something, learned nothing, and told us about it.

    I was just posting an observation not running for congress. I wouldn't stop going there because they don't have CDale mountain bikes. I don't plan to buy one since I just bought one this year. I don't think the owner of any LBS would be open to justifying their business plan to someone just because they asked. I'm sure they wouldn't go out of business because I don't buy my next bike there. What I learned is that somebody can always turn an innocent post into an issue.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    There is NO WAY Cannondale will ever be at Wal-Mart. As a vendor/distributor, Wal-Mart is way too cheap to buy C'Dales at cost. Look at all the other made in China crap they carry. It consists of about 85% of their entire inventory. No way.....

    Although there was a large Cannondale dealer that went bankrupt in 2000-01 or so and Costco bought their entire inventory. It was strange to see Super V's and hardtails in Costco. They were selling them at 1/2 MSRP.

    I doubt you would ever see a Cannondale in a Walmart or even a Performance store like what happened with GT and Schwinn.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdr01930's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    794
    Tracy, I had a similar experience recently.
    We went to a large Boston area dealer to get my daughter's F6. I noticed they did not have any Moto's around and I was kinda hoping to see one in person. When I asked the sales guy if they were getting any, he said they weren't ordering any more Cannondale's at this time, as they had been bought out and were now going to be sold at places like Walmart. Huh??? In hind site, I kinda wished I had called him out on that, but at the time, it just seemed like if I said "I read on the internets that that wasn't the case yada yada yada" I might come off sounding like a know-it-all-punk.
    They guy was being very patient/knowledgeable/helpful with us in selecting/sizing/test riding bikes for my daughter on what was a VERY busy Saturday, so I didn't wanna rock the boat at that time. Maybe I'll email the manager...
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    399
    Not a personal attack, although perhaps overstated. Seriously, you were there and able to engage personally and express your opinion. That is direct and effective.

    Quote Originally Posted by tracyclifton
    I was just posting an observation not running for congress. I wouldn't stop going there because they don't have CDale mountain bikes. I don't plan to buy one since I just bought one this year. I don't think the owner of any LBS would be open to justifying their business plan to someone just because they asked. I'm sure they wouldn't go out of business because I don't buy my next bike there. What I learned is that somebody can always turn an innocent post into an issue.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes
    Not a personal attack, although perhaps overstated. Seriously, you were there and able to engage personally and express your opinion. That is direct and effective.
    No offense taken, but seriously, I don't think my opinion would matter as much as a regular customer they know. I have been in the store many times over the years, but they don't know me from Adam. If it were a store that I had a good relationship with I would probably have given them my opinion. But since I just moved here I'm not going to worry about it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.