mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Keep buying Cannondale?

Should we continue to buy Cannondale bikes or bikes from American owned companies?

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Any reason not to?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    if you feel like having this discussion, just go back a few pages. it's officially reach beating-dead-horse-then-shotgunning-it status in this forum I think

mtbr member
    Xcmtber: what kind of car do you drive?
    Should we buy cars from American owned companies that are assembled in Mexico, or Japanese owned companies that are assembled in the US?
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    actually only half of the cars are made in america the more expensive ones the cheaper ones are still made in japan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    LOL............... You are correct, the horse is dead........ Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cannondale is great, but as far as American cars go.........no thank you.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Cannondale is Canadian owned but American run. It is in the best position it has been in since 1997. As for American cars...I have a jeep wrangler unlimited and it is the coolest automobile I have ever owned. Powerful, fun, looks REALLY GOOD....Plus it's green my favorite color. Can't beat that

mtbr member
    ".I have a jeep wrangler unlimited "

Ironically - as far as this thread is concerned - the Wranglers were actually made in Canada for a while!
    (not anymore - made in USA now according to wikipedia jeep wrangler article ).
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Mine is a 2008. I think it was made in Ohio or Indiana or something like that. Not really sure though.

mtbr member
    That wasn't a tire tube popping,. that was someone just shooting the dead horse, again....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It seems like this horse doesn't want to die for good reason.
    Cannondale has always been proud to be an American company and made in Bedford PA, now they have just sold out. The economy has been slipping into a so called "recession", if I am going to drop a couple grand I may as well do it for an American company. Was looking at the Rush but maybe now the HiFi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Where is the HiFi made?
    Trek (GF) has been moving a lot of production to the Far East.

Ridin' dirty!
    I think it's finally dead now....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    To be competitive bike manufactures have to source their frames from over seas. Giant, Specialized,Trek, Santa Cruz etc. has been doing so for sometime now and are still American companies. The HiFi is still made here in the states, Waterloo, WI.

Ridin' dirty!
    Nice video....seems to be a couple of years old, but still pretty cool.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, It was interesting of see some of the work that went into making my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by xcmtber

LA CHÈVRE
    To be competitive bike manufactures have to source their frames from over seas. Giant, Specialized,Trek, Santa Cruz etc. has been doing so for sometime now and are still American companies. The HiFi is still made here in the states, Waterloo, WI.
    First, Giant is not an American company, never was, they are from Taiwan and never made a single frame in the US. Second, why do you defend Trek, Specialized and Santa Cruz for sending their production in Asia but complain that Cannondale is doing it? (and Cannondale does it a lot less than those companies) Specialized is mostly owned by Merida: Taiwan again... Cannondale still has all the employees they had before the Dorel acquisition, they are still run by the fine folks in Bethel and most of their production still is in Bedford.

I vote to recycle this thread.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My F5 wasn't made in the USA. So I guess yes!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Me want Cannondale bike now

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not defending any company nor trying to upset anyone!
    I own a Cannondale and it sucks that they sold out.Just wanted to get other opinions...... Still that HiFi Looks pretty damn good!!!!!........ Thanks for the replies........

mtbr member
    Yes it sucks they "sold out" they really should have done the honorable thing and kept going like it was...for better or worse till the last man standing!

Everything has a price, thats not selling out that the definition of business. Yes Cannondale was sold but not "sold out" as long as all those welders, painters, builders.... are still working in Bedford I am pretty cool with the sale, for all we know with the extra R&D and ad money that Dorel could provide they may need to expand and hire more US craftsmen and the bikes could be better than ever!

Bottom line as long as Cannondale keeps making great bikes here in my country I will always look to them first when I need "want" a new bike.

good luck, hope you get what you are looking for

Ray

I own a Cannondale and it sucks that they sold out.Just wanted to get other opinions...... Still that HiFi Looks pretty damn good!!!!!........ Thanks for the replies........

mad aussie
    So who owned Cannondale before they "sold out", Pegasus who purchased them from bankruptcy. It was well known that companies like Pegasus buy companies that are down but have potential, pump in some money (over 100 million is the figure I have heard) and then turn around to sell the company at a profit.

So Cannondale did not "sell out" they were "sold", there is a big difference here.

Can you name one other major US bike company that still does their productions in the US? Specialized, not at all, Trek, only the high end Carbon. all aluminium bikes made overseas (and that includes Gary Fisher as well only the Hi Fi Carbon series are US made frames.

Kevin

mtbr member
    My turn!!!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... Only one way to know

You need to go ride the HiFi if it interests you. I would try and get this brand thing out of your mind it is a trap that keeps you from getting the bike you like the best. I used to think Specialized was the only way to go. I test rode the others I deemed nearly as worthy as Specialized. The HiFi was included. I would not even consider a Cannondale luckily for me my local bike shop is very patient and I trust them. To make a long story short I bought a Cannondale Rush. My mind just went WOW the second I started rolling on it. You need to ride the HiFi if you think you are interested as well as any other bike you feel fits your needs. Then buy the bike you want. By how it feels and not the stickers on the side. I feel any bike shop brand you pick they all know a thing or two about building a bike.

Good Luck

Personally I think Cannondale will be just fine probably better. I have been with a company for 20 years through 4 buyouts and things improved every single time. Smart companies do not buy companies to destroy them.

Hup, Hup
    Cannondale will be just fine. They will probably improve on their already great designs.

As far as where a bike is made.....who cares?

I have American made, Belgian made, Italian made, and Taiwanese made. All of them do a great job for their intended use but, the Cannondales are still my favorites though.

Oh, and my car was made in Germany.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member

Major/non boutique. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Can you name one other major US bike company that still does their productions in the US?
    NO. No I can't.

jeff

Live 2 Ride
    I can't wait till I see low end Cannondales at Walmart!
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Good luck with waiting for C-Dales to show up in Wally World. Won't happen. Makes not one bit of sense for Doral to do that. They learned their lessons with Mongoose and GT and C-Dale will be their high end brand as it should be seeing as how it is one of the most repsected brands in the industry. Mongoose etc. will fill the other market segments for Doral, hence the whole separate business division for C-Dale.

Enjoy your Kona.........they still trying to blow out millions in Kona inventory at Wheel World for the 8th straight month?

All kidding aside, ride what works for you, Kona, HiFi etc.and enjoy the heck out of the trails, it isn't all about the equipment all the time.

Steve

Music & Bikes
    I think that Montreal has a good chance of winning the cup this year.

( because Cannondale is owned by a Montreal based company)

PS +1 for the dead horse.....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Let's go Flyers

phi.gif

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wombat.
    You're spot on. That is what I was going to say about the sale. Also, I think you are right about Trek. I wasn't sure but I thought they moved their alloy bike production overseas.
    A couple of years ago they employeed 75 welders at a factory just north of the Illinois border.

mtbr member
    Why? just so you can finally afford one?

Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197

Like catnip for people
    The day they start selling Cannondales at Walmart, is the day you'll be able to buy a Bugatti Veyron for $5 dollars.

Conclusion: Never

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    The day they start selling Cannondales at Walmart, is the day you'll be able to buy a Bugatti Veyron for $5 dollars.

Conclusion: Never
    I guess I'll buy beer with my 5$ instead then...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by River19
    Good luck with waiting for C-Dales to show up in Wally World. Won't happen. Makes not one bit of sense for Doral to do that. They learned their lessons with Mongoose and GT and C-Dale will be their high end brand as it should be seeing as how it is one of the most repsected brands in the industry. Mongoose etc. will fill the other market segments for Doral, hence the whole separate business division for C-Dale.

Enjoy your Kona.........they still trying to blow out millions in Kona inventory at Wheel World for the 8th straight month?

All kidding aside, ride what works for you, Kona, HiFi etc.and enjoy the heck out of the trails, it isn't all about the equipment all the time.

Steve
    Funny thing is I don't ride a Kona. Read my signature.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    Why? just so you can finally afford one?
    I've owned 2 Cannondales so far. I can afford one. I work at Walmart - that's why I would like to see Cdales there. Be nice to see a respectable brand in there.

mtbr member
    See the in my post, I thought you where joking and tried to be funny.

I cant see many $1000+ bikes selling at Wal-Mart, same as I would not expect to see many Hyundai's selling at a Ferrari dealer, not knocking Hyundai, I own one but very different customer.

also it would be foolish for Dorel to pay that much for a brand/image to try and sell in at a Wal-Mart, I really do not think that customer base would identify with the Cannondale brand enough to justify the purchase (cheaper for them to make a new higher end label if they wanted to raise the bar for bikes at mass market stores)

Lastly real bike stores would drop Cannondale like a hot potato before butting heads with the 800 pound pricing gorilla that is Wal-Mart

In previous lives I was a buyer for higher end department stores, and now photographer working with some ad agencies and it is amazing how "worth" or "price" is effected by what the store it sells in..... it would be marketing suicide for C-Dale and worthless to stores like Wal-Mart that sell price/savings only (not to be confused with value)

see ya
    Ray

I've owned 2 Cannondales so far. I can afford one. I work at Walmart - that's why I would like to see Cdales there. Be nice to see a respectable brand in there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    waterfooler
    You hit the nail right on the head! I guess the bicycle industry is a global business and we need to do our part and support the LBS... Tested the HiFi today and it just didn't fit right, picking up the Rush tomorrow............. Thanks for all the replies .................. I am new to this, do I need to close this thread somehow or just let it go?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Glad you found what you were looking for

waterfooler
    You hit the nail right on the head! I guess the bicycle industry is a global business and we need to do our part and support the LBS... Tested the HiFi today and it just didn't fit right, picking up the Rush tomorrow............. Thanks for all the replies .................. I am new to this, do I need to close this thread somehow or just let it go?
    To many times we get sucked in by marketing. You are the one that rides your bike. I am very thankful to a patient LBS employee that knew what he was doing. Let me ride everything my heart desired and make my own choice.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    waterfooler
    It gets let go when everyone lets it go, or it gets out of control and I close it. otherwise it remains open ended forever.....Go look into past posts, like 20 pages back. Pick a topic and post it in. It will then pop to the top of the forum...
    CDT

Members who have read this thread: 0