mtbr member
    May 2007

Jekyll Shock Help!?!?

I got the Jekyll back from the shop today. The Lefty got a bearing reset and it had some air in the cartridge. It feels like new. Now to the shock. I've been waiting to mount the Manitou RadiumRL. No matter what, it is offset to the left about 2mm. The Fox that came off it centers perfectly. But when I mount the Manitou it is to the left. If I install the two bushing bolts and center the shock in the frame, then lift the swingarm up to the shock, the shock eye is to the right. When I put the bolt trough the eye it moves the shock over about 2mm in the frame. I have turned it every way possible and its always offset. The shock collar doesn't touch the frame, its just closer on the left side. Does this matter? Or should I just ride as long as its not touching the frame. This one is bafflling me. Help!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No Jekyll riders with any help????????????????? No advice???????????? I just don't want to ruin the shock bushings, or the frame bushings, with the shock running a little off center.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    2 millimeters does not sound alarming. I have myself installed spacers between the shock collar and the frame- I donīt recall why, either because I had the same problem or I had problems getting the bolts tight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had two Jekylls and both of them had this same "problem". First it was annoying but after a while I forgot it and during four enjoyable Jekyll years, shock/frame bushings didn't cause problems at all. As long as the collar doesn't touch the frame just ride and enjoy your nice bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's what I thought. I bought the shock as a back up. It has 8mm mounting hardware so I'm taking it off until the 6mm hardware comes in. It does out perform the Float by leaps and bounds. I'll probably have my Float R Pushed and keep the Radium on the shelf.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Radium for Jekyll

Sorry to branch off topic a bit, but where did you get a manitou radium for a Jekyll? I have always thought that rear shock choices for this frame were limited to those that came specced on the bike from Cannondale (apart from having them PUSHed)?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoj
    Sorry to branch off topic a bit, but where did you get a manitou radium for a Jekyll? I have always thought that rear shock choices for this frame were limited to those that came specced on the bike from Cannondale (apart from having them PUSHed)?
    No problem. Some guy was selling 2 Radium RLs and 2 Swinger 3 ways on EBay. Suppose to be new old stock. The higher line Jekylls in '05 came with the Swinger 3 way, but I've never seen one with a RadiumRL. Maybe Manitou made some for after market. The mounting collar isn't as thick as the Fox on my older Jekyll, the newer jekyll frame was different, so the bolts tighten down against the threads on the shock. I'll probably try to order the newer ones. I also had to order 6mm mounting hardware as it came with 8mm($11.82). I rode it a little. Almost no pedal input and a huge improvement over the Float. I paid $38 and $12 shipping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thats quite cool, i tried to get a swinger a few years ago but they were quite hard to come by. I even rang the distributor of Manitou in the UK and Cannondale Europe, but with no luck.

Back to your original topic, i occasionally have issues with lining up the Fox rear shock, but after a couple of attempts it usually lines up straight.

ride for fun
    My fox float seems to creep over to one side after a few rides.....doesnt seem to affect the performace. If anyone ever wants to sell one of those manitou rears id like one! of if you know of any place selling them please let me know. BTW i got an 04 jekyll and absolutly love it except for the rear shock.

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Manitou has worked out to be a great shock. Probably the only way to find one is ebay. The Jekyll shocks always seem to be for sale on there. Just remeber the 2000-2003 Jekyll was a different design, the shock has less travel but will still work. If you want to improve your shock I would check out the PUSH website for a rebuild.

ride for fun
    yeah i just lost a bid for a manitou a few days ago

i see alot of fox's come and go but i would realllllly like to have adjustable compression......ill give it some more time and get my fox pushed if i cant get a manitou.

thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0