a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony

Upset I screwed up! Please help.

Ok - So I had some sort of a former stoner moment or something...this time while wrenching on my bike. Allow me to set the table for you. I'm swapping tires and have my back wheel off. Lefty in front so no need to remove that one. Both new tires are on but the backwheel is still off. I'm pushing down on the front with tire to see how much flex is in the tire but I have a habit of grabbing both brakes when I push down on the front. I do and think to myself, "damn, the back brake seems squishy!". I compressed the pistons and closed the back brake sans wheel with rotor.

My question is how do I seperate them? I used a butter knife to seperate them enough to get the rotor to fit but it's rubbing like crazy and the wheel barely turns.

If it matters, they're Avid Juicy 7 Hydro's.
    Last edited by ryoninct; 05-07-2005 at 06:38 PM.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

Compulsive Bike Builder

Keep seperating them...

Quote Originally Posted by ryoninct
    Ok - So I had some sort of a former stoner moment or something...this time while wrenching on my bike. I compressed the pistons and closed the back brake sans wheel with rotor.
    My question is how do I seperate them? I used a butter knife to seperate them enough to get the rotor to fit but it's rubbing like crazy and the wheel barely turns.
    If it matters, they're Avid Juicy 7 Hydro's.
    Keep seperating them. Take the wheel and the pads off and wedge something soft like a plastic tire iron between them so you dont gouge your pistons. Push both pistons at once, if you push only one, the other will come out. When you are done, the pistons may not be lined up the way they were before, one side may rub while the other is too far from the rotor. You can fix that by pushing in the rubbing piston and holding it while you apply light pressure to the lever and the other piston extends. If you are careful, you can do this while the wheel is installed, just hold the pad down with a screwdriver without touching the pad material, just the metal "paddle" it is mounted on. It is amazing how many hydros are in need of that adjustment.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    That did it - Thanks!
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

dont do that on hayes.....

To my horror, way back when, I tried separating my hayes with a knife. There is no issue so long as the pads are in place, but dont do that with no pads installed: you WILL break off the little stud that keeps the pads in place and then you are faced with a MAJOR issue.
    Get an opld pair of pads and use them to deal with the screwdriver you force in there.

With hayes, you can relieve the pressure by undoing the bleed valve and letting a little fluid leak out into the pipe you have already attached which leads to a recovery bottle, also, previously attached. You can see where I'm going with THAT.
    R.I.P 26ers....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    [QUOTE=The_Missile]To my horror, way back when, I tried separating my hayes with a knife. There is no issue so long as the pads are in place, but dont do that with no pads installed: you WILL break off the little stud that keeps the pads in place and then you are faced with a MAJOR issue.
    Get an opld pair of pads and use them to deal with the screwdriver you force in there.You can also use a 10 mm box wrench, (the round end) put it around the little nipple in there, and that prevents the horror you experienced, and if you do break it off, new pistons are like $8, plus a bleed, anyone who rakes you over the coals on this sort of repair, is capitalizing on your lack of awareness, to make more $$$ than they really should,it is no big deal, honestly, just maddening when done right before a ride=

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

its not the cost its the work !!

ya....the cost is not an issue....right before a ride....been there....and I found I couldnt do it right without dismantling the caliper. Its just a messy job and a PITA.

The other great thing to do is get disturbed mid job and to forget you have no brake pads in there whilst the bike is on the stand and you do a test brake with your new (missing) brake pads. Shpring....there goes another stud !! Gaaa.....

Finally...cost is not an issue, but here in Switzerland supply is the issue.....non monsieur....nous ne stockons pas ceci, il faut le commander.... ah oui, et le delai ? 3 semaines......merde...

Nobody stocks anything here...I can't even get a HeadShock sized 31.8 stem of any length or angle.
    R.I.P 26ers....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    ya....the cost is not an issue....right before a ride....been there....and I found I couldnt do it right without dismantling the caliper. Its just a messy job and a PITA.

The other great thing to do is get disturbed mid job and to forget you have no brake pads in there whilst the bike is on the stand and you do a test brake with your new (missing) brake pads. Shpring....there goes another stud !! Gaaa.....

Finally...cost is not an issue, but here in Switzerland supply is the issue.....non monsieur....nous ne stockons pas ceci, il faut le commander.... ah oui, et le delai ? 3 semaines......merde...

Nobody stocks anything here...I can't even get a HeadShock sized 31.8 stem of any length or angle.
    Yeah it is messy, and you do need to take it apart, but, in similar fashion to your non stocking folks over there, folks here go, "oh, you need the whole caliper redone, that require sixteen man hours, plus a haz-mat team, plus Bill Gates saying mantras quietly in the background, that will be $1800000000 please=" When in fact it is a slightly gooey 20 minute job. As for your stem issue, you can get none????? If you wish, contact me @ cats3elton@aol.com, and I can get the job done, any flavor you like. Or contact Woodman components, I think they do OS too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey Mendon thanks for the offer but yesterday I broke the bank and went for a new 25.4? stem and a Race Face carbon handlebar. Very Sweet.

The camel that broke the straws back, so to speak !........I emailed Woodman 4 weeks ago to let me know when they would have OS stems in......my monday reminder to them resulted in a note saying they STILL havent got any in - supply issue !!

gaaaa.....
    R.I.P 26ers....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    Hey Mendon thanks for the offer but yesterday I broke the bank and went for a new 25.4? stem and a Race Face carbon handlebar. Very Sweet.

The camel that broke the straws back, so to speak !........I emailed Woodman 4 weeks ago to let me know when they would have OS stems in......my monday reminder to them resulted in a note saying they STILL havent got any in - supply issue !!

gaaaa.....
    No problem, just glad you got something that works! How much do those stems run over there anyway?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

are you sitting....

One stem 90 CHF = +-65 Bucks
    One race face carbon handle bar 179 CHF = +- 140 Bucks
    R.I.P 26ers....