mtbr member
    Aug 2012

How "made in USA" is the 2010 F1?

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to biking and fell in love with Cannondale in 2011 after they shipped their production to Taiwan. I got myself a 2012 F1 which is an excellent bike and recently bought a new 2010 F1. I paid good money for the latter because it was the last of cannondale's US made frames.

My question pertains to the 2010 flash frame. Would any of the more seasoned pros be able to advise me if it was actually manufactured in the US i.e welded and sanded etc or simply made in Taiwan and assembled and touched up in the states (in which case it loses quite a bit of charm and novelty).It clearly states "handmade in USA" on the seatstay. I've read some comments about the quality of workmanship deteriorating post Dorel takeover.

Thanks and Cheers!

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    The bike is indeed made in Bedford PA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks bad ronald. I was under the impression that since the caffeine series started rolling out the knives have been out regarding the quality of the workmanship. The 2010 version looks to be much better welded when put it next to the 2012 F1. It just looks like a better frame.

I am also inclined to believe (based upon the reviews I have read) that most seem to favour the F *000 SL frames between 2001 and 2006?

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    The overall quality has been improved since the transition. While the welds may not be as clean the overall structure is definitely better. It is only a matter of time before the welds are up to (visual) snuff as the Bedford welders had way more experience than their Taiwanese counterparts. Give them a little bit of time and I am sure you will be hard pressed to see a difference. There are still quite a few products being made out of Bedford (Lefties for instance) and don't forget almost all high end bikes are being assembled there including the new GURU fit system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yeah I agree with you. The 2012 F1 felt awesome. I also had a chance to ride on my friend's F 3000sl and as cool as it looked the flash did feel better. I guess I was swayed by the weld quality. The 2010 Flash has much smoother welds and I really wanted to get it because it's the last series to be made in the states. Well then, thanks again for your kind advice. You are a cannondale owner as well I reckon?

mtbr member
    Has passed a couple of years and i don t see any improvement on the weld s job ,i think that is cheaper ,faster ,they only pass a couple of times into the welds ,so i dont think that is a question of less experience ,they make what the client wants , c dale does not have any factory in taiwan,there is a factory who makes for them and for more brands , its a shame to them making frames with such horrible welds ,miles away from the termination in the us models ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @cdaleportugal

I hear you. The frames do appear to be of good quality (I just got a 2011 flash ultimate factory racing) but the aluminium ones seem to lack the finesse of the US made ones as far as welding goes. I put the 2010 and 2012 side by side and you can run your hands over the welding of the 2010 whereas the 2012 has very obvious bumps at the neck. It's totally fine if aesthetics is not your concern but does it really cost that much to do a nicer smoother weld?

Quality may have improved but I guess the charm of owning a cannondale has been diluted somewhat. I live in Singapore and we have benefited immensely from manufacturing hi-tech products for Western countries but somehow I feel that a good bicycle brand which ships from the US or Europe to Asia kinda loses it's snob factor

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal View Post
    c dale does not have any factory in taiwan,there is a factory who makes for them and for more brands , its a shame to them making frames with such horrible welds ,miles away from the termination in the us models ...
    Wrong brother....Dorel officially stated in their press release after purchasing cdale that the new, top of the line cdale factory would be located in Taichung, Taiwan.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Im totally in agree with you ,there are so many fans of c dale s aluminium and weld termination ,i think when you have a top of the line products you cannot run in decreasing quality and worst you pay the same or more .
    My dear cannondale maniac ,for me these kind of press comunications is for who believes in santa claus ,im sure what about i said ,c dale aluminium frames are made by a taiwanese manufacturer ,is said by who have been there and saw it , A-PRO is the factory ,please say that is not true ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Actually both of you have a point. I have read an article before stating what cdalemaniac just stated. However I have also seen other sources which are under the impressions that Dorel or pacific industries (whatever it is) uses their existing factories in Taiwan to churn out the cdales. I think there was a period of 6 years or so where they were simultaneously manufacturing aluminium bikes in the states and carbon in Taiwan.

I took a look at the 2010 flash carbon ultimate frame and realised that it was made in Taiwan while the Scalpel equivalent had the "HMIUSA" on the seatsstay. I asked the dealer why that was the case and he said that the back portion of the scalpel was made or assembled in the US. The main frame was made in Taiwan. A bit misleading and stretching the truth if you ask me.

TO add to cdaleportugal's point about fans of the American smooth welding:

I think there are 3 maybe 4 key reasons which keep/kept cannondale fans loyal.

1) The Unique suspensions they offer

2) Being the last Major player to still make their bikes in the US

3) The Nice and Smooth Welds

4) It has a pretty cool sounding name.

Now point 2 is gone and along with it point 3. Price has not really gone down a whole lot as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0