mtbr member

How does weight affect your shocks ?

i was wondering, im new to a fs mt bike. is it better to take weight off your frame, cranks ect or off your tires and rims? it seems that the shocks would work better with less weight above them but how does the weight below them effect handling, rebound, ect?

any advice would be great.

karl

mad aussie
    Wheel weight is actually more important to suspension functioning as it reduces "unsprung mass", less wheel weight allows your suspension to react a little faster to trail irregularities, meaning your whole bike moves less and you go faster, but........ I would really doubt it would be a measurable difference, I recall some tests done in Germany with an SRM powermeter (SRM +/- 1.5%) which found no measurable difference from adding a couple hundred grams to the wheels.
    My suggestion would still be to take weight of the wheel tire combination first, of course within reason. For example I have found the mid 500g range to be the minimum a tire can weigh in Arizona and not get cut.

Ridin' dirty!
    I agree with Flying Wombat....I felt the difference right away after I switched to a lighter wheels set....Even if you only get a lighter tire combo with less rolling resistance and ultralight tubes you can tell the difference.
    Get lighter tires/wheels first and switch other parts after they're worn out or damaged.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Live 2 Ride
    I weigh 230 pounds. I only see maybe an inch of travel from my 4 inch travel fork and the preload is set all the way in.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0