mtbr member
    Sep 2010

homebrew Lefty computer mount

Being cheap, and having various pieces of PVC plumbing fixtures laying around, I figured why not.

The big white piece is a dishwasher drain part (around $4 at Home Depot). The 90 degree elbow is a generic 1/2" PVC elbow. I think they are $1. I had to cut a few inches off the dishwasher drain part and then I cut the barbed end off the small section so the 1/2" elbow would fit over it. Then I cut a slot so I could snap the dishwasher drain over the Lefty, and a small slot for the zip-tie to pass through so it wouldn't hit the brake rotor. If you try it, you'll understand.

homebrew Lefty computer mount-lefty_mount1.jpg

homebrew Lefty computer mount-lefty_mount2.jpg

homebrew Lefty computer mount-lefty_mount3.jpg

There was one small mod that I had to do, and if you are careful sanding you can do it with a Dremel. The inside of the 1/2" elbow is a little too small to fit over the small end of the dishwasher drain piece. I have a lathe so I chucked the elbow up and took a few thousandths off so it was a tight fit. You can do it with a Dremel if you don't go crazy.

I glued the elbow to the dishwasher piece with regular PVC cement. I drilled one 1/4" hole in the dishwasher piece where the small part joins to the large part to let water drain out, and I'm going to drill one in the bottom of the elbow as well.

I also had to drill a 1/8" hole through the elbow at the inner bend so a zip-tie could pass through to hold the sensor on. The other zip-tie just goes around the straight part of the elbow.

So far it seems to work, but I won't get to give it a real test until maybe tomorrow or later in the week. I can't complain for about $5 and a little time.

Andy B.
    Main Ride: 2016 Jekyll Carbon 2
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

Helmetless Crasher
    A wee bit ghastly, but apparently effective.

Kinda cool if you are a plumber, though.

Kudos!

Most folks attach it to the caliper bracket - very simple/clean. Thats what i did before going w/ a gps-based computer and dispensing with the magnet/sender thing altogether.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh, it does look silly as heck, and the only part I had to buy was the dishwasher drain thing, so I can't complain. It was raining yesterday when I got bored and made it.

The wireless sending unit wasn't too happy anyplace else I tried mounting it, so this seemed to work the best of my options.

Andy B.
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

KDM
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Spray paint it black!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Next time Mick Jagger stops by I certainly will!

I get enough crazy stares around my area because no one knows what a Lefty is. It just looks all the weirder with a piece of plumbing sticking out of it. Some lady asked me if I was riding a motorcycle. All I kept thinking was, "does it sound like a motorcycle, doofus?"

I did get out for a nice ride Monday and the mount held up well, so for the few bucks it cost, I'm happy.

Andy B.
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post

I did get out for a nice ride Monday and the mount held up well, so for the few bucks it cost, I'm happy.

Andy B.
    Good on ya!

I bet mine was cheaper, though:

'95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What type of sending unit is that, and is it just clamped to the brake line? Any more pics or details? I like that.

Andy B.
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

Members who have read this thread: 0