Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,395

    Hollowgram experts - PF30 questions

    I have a set of Hollowgrams I picked up a while back.

    I am purchasing a PF30 frame (new 2011 Ventana)

    Quick questions.

    1. With a triple chainring - what length spindle do I need

    2. If I were to run a double chainring - what length spindle do I need

    3. Bottom Bracket - any PF30 tips?

    Thanks, the cranks have a shorter spindle (104 I believe) so I need to buy a longer one anyways. Still torn on a 2x or 3x system

    Thanks - GG
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    I have a set of Hollowgrams I picked up a while back.

    I am purchasing a PF30 frame (new 2011 Ventana)

    Quick questions.

    1. With a triple chainring - what length spindle do I need

    2. If I were to run a double chainring - what length spindle do I need

    3. Bottom Bracket - any PF30 tips?

    Thanks, the cranks have a shorter spindle (104 I believe) so I need to buy a longer one anyways. Still torn on a 2x or 3x system

    Thanks - GG
    Cannondale now uses the 132mm spindle for all drivetrains, so it stays pretty simple. For the 73mm BB shell, you will use the standard bearing cover, and for 68mm, you'll use the non drive side bearing cover with the tapered lip.

    This all depends on which spider/rings you are going to use as well. If you are using an "old" non XX double, you may want to get the 122mm spindle, as long as you have a 68mm BB shell and appropriate clearance. But you're safe if you get the 132mm spindle either way.

    Cannondale Hollowgram spindles
    104mm (68mm road)
    122mm (68mm double MTB) if clearance
    131mm (68mm triple MTB)
    132mm (68 or 73mm, double or triple) THIS IS THE STANDARD NOW

  3. #3
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanks.

    With a PF30, the BB is obviously set so as far as bearing covers that shouldn't matter.

    That said I suspect a 131 or 132 should work, or is the shoulder located at a different depth on each spindle?

    Thanks.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Thanks.

    With a PF30, the BB is obviously set so as far as bearing covers that shouldn't matter.

    That said I suspect a 131 or 132 should work, or is the shoulder located at a different depth on each spindle?

    Thanks.
    Depends on the BB width, the 131 BB bearing race surface is spaced for 68mm BB, whereas the 132 is for either 68/73mm (note the much wider bearing race surface on the 132).

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Cannondale now uses the 132mm spindle for all drivetrains, so it stays pretty simple. For the 73mm BB shell, you will use the standard bearing cover, and for 68mm, you'll use the non drive side bearing cover with the tapered lip.

    This all depends on which spider/rings you are going to use as well. If you are using an "old" non XX double, you may want to get the 122mm spindle, as long as you have a 68mm BB shell and appropriate clearance. But you're safe if you get the 132mm spindle either way.

    Cannondale Hollowgram spindles
    104mm (68mm road)
    122mm (68mm double MTB) if clearance
    131mm (68mm triple MTB)
    132mm (68 or 73mm, double or triple) THIS IS THE STANDARD NOW
    Do you mean 122 or 128? The 128 works on more setups. the 122, not that often...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Do you mean 122 or 128? The 128 works on more setups. the 122, not that often...
    I did forget the 128...Thanks Dan!

    The 122 still works on some frames, but was manufactured early on as the 68mm Mountain double. Frame design for Cannondale has changed a lot since then, though, as Dan is eluding to, but it will still work on some current frames with minimal or no modification. It's hard to say if it'd work on your frame without knowing dimensions. But you should probably just get the 132 to be safe. It'll be more difficult to find the older stuff anyway.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    73
    There is also a special lockring that may be needed to run the Hollowgram with PF30. There can potentially be a clearance issue with the lockring on the outside diameter of the pressfit system. This probably relates more to a road setup with the shorter spindle but decided to throw this out there as a FYI.

  8. #8
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,395
    Argh,

    So I started my experiment.

    Running the 132 spindle, 22-32-44 FSA rings to start with.

    Everything should work... however the 22 chainring doesn't quite clear the plastic lip of the BB cups.

    I am about 2mm shy. If I had a thinner chainring it would likely work. Not sure if it is the FSA chainrings.

    Might try a Ti inner chainring as that might clear. It's not a teeth issue. its the very inner lip of the bolt tabs that are bottoming out.

    If this was my race bike - non issue as I would ditch the inner chainring.

    It's not a spacers issue etc.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    73
    You could also try removing the PF30 non drive bearing shield. Then pull the seal off that sits behind it and use a standard BB30 shield. This may give you the 2mm that you are looking for.

  10. #10
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    This trick is being done with the SuperSix Evo when people are installing a Hollowgram SL with SRM...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  11. #11
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,395
    Ordered a Ti chainring... if that doesn't do the trick the PF30 non drive shield will be next. That might work. Just need to shift that damn spindle 2-3 mm to the drive side.

    I'll need to take a look at it, but is there an additional shield behind the first?

    I have the BB30 sheilds. Wasn't aware they were "thinner".
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  12. #12
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,404
    Bumping that older thread

    I have a PF30 frame and a Hollowgram , what adaptor or bearing is needed ?
    BB30 is 42mm and PF30 is 46mm ....

    Wich composite cup fits a Hollowgram for a 68mm PF30 BB?
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Bumping that older thread

    I have a PF30 frame and a Hollowgram , what adaptor or bearing is needed ?
    BB30 is 42mm and PF30 is 46mm ....

    Wich composite cup fits a Hollowgram for a 68mm PF30 BB?
    If you have a PF30 frame with any PF30 bottom bracket, the Hollowgram will fit. Despite the difference in diameter of the actual cups, the BB30 and PF30 bearings have the same I.D, O.D.

    Just order up the FSA PF30 bottom bracket, or even better, the Cannondale "SRM" compatible PF30 bottom bracket.

    FSA PF30: bearings are factory pressed into the plastic cups and aren't meant to be removed. Whenever you're removing these from a frame, it can really be a CF.

    Cannondale PressFit BB30 PF30 Bottom Bracket Shell, Bearings, Sheilds - KP197 - CannondaleExperts.com

    Cannondale "SRM" PF30: Aluminum press in cups which come with BB30 bearings. These can be removed and installed separately. They are very easy to remove and replace. These also use the standard Cannondale bearing covers. Even though these are denoted as "SRM", they can be used on any PF30 frame...e.g. I use this bottom bracket on my Scalpel 29er.

    Cannondale SRM PressFit BB30 PF30 Bottom Bracket Shell, Bearings, Sheilds - KP197/SRM - CannondaleExperts.com

  14. #14
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,404
    Thanx for the info

    In fact , I have a complete BB30 hollowgram kit , with the bearing , circlip etc...

    I'll go for the Aluminium one....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.