CODA Tarantula TX3 cranks (Only 685g)
    Shimano XTR M950 r.derailleur
    Shimano XT f.derailleur
    Sram PG-990 cassette
    Chris King ISO rear hub/Mavic 717 rim
    Coda Omega Lefty front hub/Mavic 717 rim
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 tires (none ust) + 2 inner tubes

Total weight: 24.75lbs

I used to have a set of Mavic 818 UST wheels laced on Ringle Dirty Flea with Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 UST tires. But the new xc717 wheels with Fire XC Pro combo are actually 0.5lbs heavier for some reason. I'm going to convert the 717 to tubeless and throw the Ignitors back on and see if that helps to shed that .5lbs off.

I posted this because I'm a bit baffled on why my bike isn't under 24lbs because all the components on there almost the same as other sub 24lbs bikes I've seen out there.

My budget at the moment is pretty low and I'm not a snobby weight weenie by any means. Mainly I'd like to get an idea of where the bike can improve in the near future.

mtbr member
    Those gawd awful BLUE tires have got to go!

And why use heavy UST tires?

Use regular tires with the stans-no-tubes latex you'll get that bike under 23lbs easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    Those gawd awful BLUE tires have got to go!

And why use heavy UST tires?

Use regular tires with the stans-no-tubes latex you'll get that bike under 23lbs easy.
    Yeah I'm with you on the blue tires. They're a temporary place holder until I get some new rubbers on there. As for the UST tires, I just purchased them and didn't want them to go to waste. Maybe I'll just sell it on ebay and invest in some standard light tires such as Kenda Karma.

USED2COULD
    You didn't list your BB so I'm guessing it is heavy.
    I say ditch the crank and BB for a Shimano XT setup. Cheap (relatively) and light - definately!

Tires also, if you are running tubes there are many lower weight tires. Hutchinson has some, as do Kenda, and Schwalbe, plus others.

> Trade your heavy grips for lighter grips.
    > WTB makes a host of lighter saddles than the Fizik (but in my opinion comfort should come before weight savings with saddles, for me I just happen to find the WTB's the most comfortable also).
    > DT Revolution Spokes & Alloy Nipples
    > Hope 2-Piece Brake Rotors
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    I have no idea what BB I have, but you're probably right that it's heavy. Can anyone recommend a lightweight BB that's somewhat affordable?

As for the crank, the new XT M770 is sitting at 850g, which is considerably heavier than the 685g CODA I currently have. My thoughts on that was to ride it till the CODA breaks, which eventually it will.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic213
    I have no idea what BB I have, but you're probably right that it's heavy. Can anyone recommend a lightweight BB that's somewhat affordable?

As for the crank, the new XT M770 is sitting at 850g, which is considerably heavier than the 685g CODA I currently have. My thoughts on that was to ride it till the CODA breaks, which eventually it will.
    The 850g INCLUDES the bottom bracket.
    So you would need a BB that is 165g or less, and it won't be as stiff as an external bearing BB system (Shimano, Race Face Dues etc..)

Coda cranks used to ship primarily with Shimano UN52's that weigh over 300g. The UN72 came on some and is lighter at ~245g.

But you can see that 850g crank and BB is light.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    I wasn't aware of the UN52's that I might have on the bike. Thanks for clearing that up! So really I might be running a ~985g crank/bb combo right now.

mtbr member
    yep, I would say new crank & BB, and some nice light Stans brake rotors. Dont loose the grips though...I would rather run Oury's than some feather-weight grip, just because of comfort.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    XTR cassette is lighter than the SRAM you have (pricy, but lighter). Also, try to pick up a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost. I seen some good deals on these on e-bay recently. Usually someone switching from set-back to straight or vice-versa.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic213
    I wasn't aware of the UN52's that I might have on the bike. Thanks for clearing that up! So really I might be running a ~985g crank/bb combo right now.
    I made a too hasty assumption based on my former CODA crank experience.
    The Tarantula TX3 is the CODA crank that was around just in time for the splined BB phase.

So the UN tapered BB's are not applicable.
    However having said that the lightest splined Shimano BB was the M952 (the XTR equivalent BB) that weighed about 215g. (Total with your crank of ~900g) .

If you have the M952 there is only a 50g saving with the XT, if it is any of the lower splined BB's the weight savings is far more.
    <Insert Quiver>

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    XTR cassette is lighter than the SRAM you have (pricy, but lighter). Also, try to pick up a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost. I seen some good deals on these on e-bay recently. Usually someone switching from set-back to straight or vice-versa.
    You're right. But like you point out the price for the XTR isn't even close to the 990.

The Masterpiece is a beautiful post (I have one), but expensive for the weight savings. I'm not an e-Bay fan, but if there are deals to be had I give the post a two thumbs up (mostly for bling factor )
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Ok the splined Shimano BB doesn't sound nearly as bad as the UN72s. But still worth considering the upgrade. I'm looking into Race Face Deus crankset since it sits right between the XT and XTR weight range and hopefully just as stiff.

I'm going to have to skip the XTR cassette and Masterpiece idea since they're just a tad beyond my expenditure reasoning at the moment. But thank you for the suggestion never the less.

My first priority is to get the weight down on the wheels. Stan's tubeless kit should be arriving by the end of the week. Second would be the cranks. Third would probably a diet for myself.

Ridin' dirty!
    Cranks, seat, tires....
    I wouldn't recommend Stans with regular tires unless it is for a race event.
    Have seen many tire failings because of it....there is a reason why tubeless tires are for tubeless systems...
    Continental and Schwalbe make some pretty darn light tires...get some Latex tubes and a regular tire.
    Michelin got some Latex tubes that probably weigh less than the Stan's liquid per wheel...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Members who have read this thread: 0