mtbr member
    Nov 2008

help!! WHICH SPIDER????????

which 2x9 spider do I use for a 2009 scalpel carbon frame with Hollogram SL crankset?

Spider SI crank MTB 2x9 5Arm for 73mm
    or
    Spider SI crank MTB 2x9 5Arm for 68mm

note: the 73mm brings chain line closer to swing arm, and 68 puts 44t ring in same position as the 3x9 spider
    Last edited by epicracer5; 04-23-2010 at 08:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    any body know?????

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    also my bike originally came with 3x9 set up. so i probably have a longer spindle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The mountain spindles are all now the 132mm width, which are used for 68 or 73mm BB shells.

When converting for a 2x9, there are indeed two 2x9 spiders available as you mentioned.

Since the spindle width is the same for BOTH 68 and 73mm BB shells, Cannondale released those 2 spiders to adapt for each BB shell width, thus, to adapt to the differing distances from BB shell to spindle end (68mm has 2.5mm MORE distance per side)

The 73mm 2x9 spider does NOT taper toward the BB shell and therefore keeps the rings offset away from the shell as compared to the 68mm 2x9 spider which DOES taper toward the BB shell to afford for the increased distance from BB shell to spindle end.

So to answer your question, you need the 68mm 2x9 spider (KP030), which is the one that I use for my 2009 Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think you have it switched around cause I have both spindles and the 73 KP031 is the one that tapers, it has the little BB30 writing on it, versus the other one is just straight with no taper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    this is the spider that tapers, so should i use this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by epicracer5
    I think you have it switched around cause I have both spindles and the 73 KP031 is the one that tapers, it has the little BB30 writing on it, versus the other one is just straight with no taper.
    That's the same one that I am using, use it. That's the one Cannondale sent when I requested KP030, which actually made sense the way that it was explained (as I explained to you). Regardless, use the one with taper

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    lol thats funny cause I ordered the one with 73 mm and they sent me the one with offset

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    trauma-md how is your chain line with the tapered spider? also does your big ring some times slightly touch the chain stay, for example do you see some markings on the chain stay after rides from flexing

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by epicracer5
    trauma-md how is your chain line with the tapered spider? also does your big ring some times slightly touch the chain stay, for example do you see some markings on the chain stay after rides from flexing
    Not a problem with mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    trauma how much space do you have between your 44t ring and the chain stay? could you give me a measurement or pic, thnx

FIRENZE rulez !!
    my tip :

do a custom spacer and use a 2 x 9 spider

( thanks for using a picture of my 2008 Scalpel )

here mine for a Flash with 128 mm spindle , sized at 7 mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help!! WHICH SPIDER????????-hpim0530.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    eliflap thank you for your pictures they have always been very help full. I am using a 2x9 spider, my only issue was that I was not sure which 2x9 spider I should use, the 68 or the 73. Now I am using the spider with the offset, the same one that you are using in your picture. My only problem is that the spider is a little close to the chain stay, under high pressure when crank and frame flexes I think it slightly touches the chain stay. I can see some markings. The chain line is much better with the tapered chain ring though, which is why I have been confused.

Eliflap I have looked at your other pictures and saw that you were also using the NON tapered spider on your scalpel.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ONe thing that might be an issue is the 44t big ring. Really not the norm in 2X9 setups. If you had a 42t on there I bet it would have enough clearance.

What I want to know is how the CFR guys manage to run the 122mm spindle in their 2X10 setups...
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    "What I want to know is how the CFR guys manage to run the 122mm spindle in their 2X10 setups..."

The shoulder on the non-drive side of the 122mm spindle is machined off and the spindle is spaced on the left and right side. There is also some additional machining done to the backside of the end of the crank arms to aid in chain stay clearance.

TL
    It's all ball bearings these days.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have a 68 mm spider 5 arms , do you need it ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    no thanks i have one

Members who have read this thread: 0