mtbr member
    May 2007

Help Quick! Need advice on Prophet Purchase

I was in the only Cannondale dealership in Idaho today. They have only one 2007 Prophet 4 on sale. The price is unbeatable. Here's the problem, its a small. I've been riding a Medium Jekyll for 7 years. According to the CDale website, the only difference in size between the medium Jekyll and the small Prophet is 2cm in top tube length. I need help to figure out if a small will work for me before its gone. I'm 5'7.5" tall and average build. Is anybody out there in my size range riding a small Prophet? If so how is it? Also, I use a 100mm stem on my Jekyll, if I get the small Prophet can I just go to a 120mm stem to make up the difference? Help quick, I don't want to let this one slip away. Thanks for any and all opinions.
    Last edited by tracyclifton; 04-24-2008 at 02:57 PM.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyclifton
    I was in the only Cannondale dealership in Idaho today. They have only one 2007 Prophet 4 on sale. The price is unbeatable. Here's the problem, its a small. I've been riding a Medium Jekyll for 7 years. According to the CDale website, the only difference in size between the medium Jekyll and the small Prophet is 2cm in top tube length. I need help to figure out if a small will work for me before its gone. I'm 5'7.5" tall and average build. Is anybody out there in my size range riding a small Prophet? If so how is it? Also, I use a 80mm stem on my Jekyll, if I get the small Prophet can I just go to a 100mm stem to make up the difference? Help quick, I don't want to let this one slip away. Thanks for any and all opinions.
    Get some opinions, but really your the one stuck riding it, how does it feel to YOU?
    What's a couple hundred bucks if you get a bike thats uncomfortable ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a '06 Prophet 600 in small and am 1" shorter than you. I use a Thompson setback seatpost and use a Syntace VRO T stem in large. This setup in very adjustable due to the manor of construction which can be seen here.
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=384
    When I bought this, a year and a half ago, I test drove both medium and small. The small seemed more nimble to me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the inputs, but I've decided against the Prophet. I don't know why I didn't think of it, but i have a small Jekyll in the garage. I compared the specs on the small Jekyll and small Prophet. They were within 4mm. I put the small Jekyll next to one of my medium Jekylls and realized the small prophet won't cut it. Its a shame, I would have had it for $1400. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm the same height as you. I tried a small and medium prophet, and went with a small.
    It was more flickable and easier to get back behind the seat for those sudden steep drop downs.

It's perfect for technical stuff, but sometimes if I'm road riding with the kids or doing more XC stuff it felt a little cramped and I found myself sitting on the back of the seat kinda.

So I got a setback seat post, and it's just about right for what I do now. Still a tad cramped if I'm road riding, but I don't really care as it's great for the AM stuff.
    If you do mostly XC, medium might be better. If you're doing more technical and single track, the small might be better. But that's me. Like Tony said, you gotta ride it and decide for yourself.

Note: I got Richie setback seatpost - that was a mistake. Get the Thompson.
    I got the Richie because that's what the LBS had in stock (even after reading everyone here rave about the Thompson). The Richie doesn't hold the seat well, it will pitch back over time. AFTER I found this, I read some reviews and found this to be a common complaint. Oh well.

EDIT - I was typing this when you posted, so didn't see that you already decided no-go!

"I put the small Jekyll next to one of my medium Jekylls "
    So, you have a garage full of Jekyll's??? LUCKY!!!!
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-24-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think I'm back on now. I've measured and measured my Jekyll. I think the 1 inch difference is not enough to pass up the deal. I'm going to get the shop to put on a 120mm 20' rise stem and order a 5/8 Thompson setback post. This should get the cockpit to the same size as my Jekyll.

got the dhr...
    So you went for it?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks to everyone for their advice. But it turns out it didn't help. I just picked up a lightly used '07 Rush 3 medium from EBay for $1300. I hope it works out. I never thought I would win it. So, I had to decided to go pick up the Prophet. But sometimes things work in mysterious ways. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0