mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Help with Prophet sizing for 6'1" person

I'm looking into getting back into mountain biking after a long while (kids), and I'm currently looking at a Prophet 5 (600). I've only been able to test ride a XL size frame, and it seems OK, but the LBS worker thinks I should get a Large (which I would have to order without trying). I tried the Rush Large that they had, but holy crap did this frame seem small to me! I wish I could have test ridden a large Prophet, but cant find one around the (immediate) area.

My MTB background is a '92 Cannondale SM700 hardtail (which I still have and use! Thumbshifters anyone?) and a 1999 SuperV 900 (large frame) and I'm currently also riding a Suzuki DRZ400s (got tired of pedaling) . I bought the SuperV large size frame based on the recommendation of the LBS person, but after much riding I thought the frame was too small for me, so I sold it. Unfortunately, the geometry of the Prophet is different enough that I don't think I can use this experience as a guide.

I'm 6'1", 230 lbs, and have an inseam of 34.5". Can anyone in this size range with a Prophet tell me which frame they have and how they like it? I'd deeply appreciate any input on this...

Thanks much in advance
    John

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi John,

i am 6 foot 4 and just had the same issues as you about sizing. i ended up going the XL as with the large it was just too much of a compromise. i would go the XL and if the reach is too long you could go for some riser bars and a 90mm stem. i currently rise a medium super V ( i bought it when i about 8 inches shorter) and like you can imagine its so cramped i get sore riding it down the street let alone racing. my recommendation would be go for the extra large as you will get more use out of it, standover height isnt an issue with the frame design and the longer cockpit will increase your efficiency by letting your lungs fill more.

Gordo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManJohn
    I'm looking into getting back into mountain biking after a long while (kids), and I'm currently looking at a Prophet 5 (600). I've only been able to test ride a XL size frame, and it seems OK, but the LBS worker thinks I should get a Large (which I would have to order without trying). I tried the Rush Large that they had, but holy crap did this frame seem small to me! I wish I could have test ridden a large Prophet, but cant find one around the (immediate) area.

My MTB background is a '92 Cannondale SM700 hardtail (which I still have and use! Thumbshifters anyone?) and a 1999 SuperV 900 (large frame) and I'm currently also riding a Suzuki DRZ400s (got tired of pedaling) . I bought the SuperV large size frame based on the recommendation of the LBS person, but after much riding I thought the frame was too small for me, so I sold it. Unfortunately, the geometry of the Prophet is different enough that I don't think I can use this experience as a guide.

I'm 6'1", 230 lbs, and have an inseam of 34.5". Can anyone in this size range with a Prophet tell me which frame they have and how they like it? I'd deeply appreciate any input on this...

Thanks much in advance
    John

Oldman John

I too am 6'1" and i have 34 inseam, i ride a large prophet and I swear the best thing about this bike is that it fits me like a glove, I feel part of the bike. For your information I have also had the use of a large Rush for a few weeks and that also felt small to me so don't worry, I'm 99.99% certain that the large Prophet would be the way to go for you. You can't really compare the large Rush with the large Prophet.
    I'm fed up of telling poeple about how good I think the Prophet is so I'll be brief, I do 100km enduros on it no problem and I can also use it to have fun on in the skills area, it climbs welll and descends amazingly, you won't be dissapointed

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    John,

I'm 6'3", and I have a 37" sleeve length and a 36" inseam. I have a large Prophet 1000, and I preferred the L over the XL, as the XL was just too stretched out for me. I have a zero setback post and a 120mm x 5 degree stem with a 25mm riser bar and it feels right. I came from a L '00 F5000SL, which was really too small for me as it was more like a M. Since I live in MI and ride predominantly technical singletrack, the L isn't so big that I feel like I'm on a DH rig. When I looked at other manufacturer's bikes, the L Prophet is really between most other models L and XL in size.

In the end bike sizing is like saddles, so all of our opinions aren't going to matter much because we don't have to ride your bike . That said I'd see if they'll order in a Prophet in a L for you to ride back to back since that's the only way you're going to be able to tell.

Members who have read this thread: 0