mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Help! My Headshok Super is rattling around!

Hello, Cannondale Experts!
    I have a 2002 Cannondale Super V.size small, which I love, with a Headshok Super fork(80mm, no lockout) .The fork was too soft when I first got the bike, so I unscrewed the cap and tightenned the screw unlit it felt firmer. Then it started rattling. Nothing too bad, but when I went to loosen the screw, the rattling remained. Any Ideas?. I actually was thinking of upgrading the Headsok with an aftermarket fork with more travel, but I would have to get a headset reducer. If I do decide to do that, what components would you recomend? Thanks for all your help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hello? Everybody?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Do you need more travel? A Lefty will drop straight in. If you want something else check out http://forum.tryonbike.com/index.php?board=5.0 or http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...oto=nextnewest

Can't help with the Headshok. I'd start with a service, if it still rides OK hopefully its no biggy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'd love more travel. But if I get a lefty, I would have to upgrade my wheels and brakes(right now I have v-brakes)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Rattling could come from any number of things. Why it started upon tightening preload is something I can't fathom, but that fact that it remains, says it's most likely just seredipitous, and unrelated to what you did. If you haven't had it torn down and serviced, I'd recommend starting there. Most of the time, it will be solved through putting things back toether properly, as stuff does loosen up over time.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks Mendon,I was thinking of consulting my LBS about a rebuild.Thing is, last time I checked a new cartridge retrofit would run $200(with labor) and I'm wanting more travel. If I decide to upgrade the fork, what fork would work best? Marzocci(sp?) makes some very nice forks, I could get cheap and get the adapter cups for less than $200...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedmetal
    Thanks Mendon,I was thinking of consulting my LBS about a rebuild.Thing is, last time I checked a new cartridge retrofit would run $200(with labor) and I'm wanting more travel. If I decide to upgrade the fork, what fork would work best? Marzocci(sp?) makes some very nice forks, I could get cheap and get the adapter cups for less than $200...
    You're talking about spending less than $200 on a fork which will get you a very entry level and undesirable product. Solutions? Fix your current headshok and know that you've got a decent fork, or look into a used fork. Buyer beware, personally I don't think I'd trust any used fork no matter the brand - I've gone down that road before to save $ and I was ultimately disappointed and bought new shortly after. I would not recommend Marzochi forks at all.

Trying to get old stuff updated is usually not cost effective, especially if that thing still has v-brakes - you'll have to look a little harder to find a fork w/ v-brake mounts.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    You're talking about spending less than $200 on a fork which will get you a very entry level and undesirable product. Solutions? Fix your current headshok and know that you've got a decent fork, or look into a used fork. Buyer beware, personally I don't think I'd trust any used fork no matter the brand - I've gone down that road before to save $ and I was ultimately disappointed and bought new shortly after. I would not recommend Marzochi forks at all.

Trying to get old stuff updated is usually not cost effective, especially if that thing still has v-brakes - you'll have to look a little harder to find a fork w/ v-brake mounts.
    Plume,
    I appreciate your comments. You're right, maybe upgrading the Headshok would be best. But a friend has a used fork with 100mm of travel that has hardly been ridden, all I would need is the cups and a stem, right? I know used can be risky, that's why I'm weary of going that route.But more travel! That would make my Super V feel like a new bike! Trouble is, it might be more cost effective to get a new bike instead...

Members who have read this thread: 0