mtbr member
    Feb 2006

help with headset?

recently purchased a 2005 prophet,does anybody have any suggestions on which headset to run?

Can't stop the Prophet
    Give us a bit more info like:

Are you running a Lefty?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    going to be running a manitou breakout. it has an integrated headset from what i can tell. it just does'nt have bearings in it.

mtbr member
    Those will need to come out they are for the Lefty shock, I am pretty sure you fork has a 1 1/8 steerer if so you need a 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset like this.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...it+Dl+15R.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by fat mo
    going to be running a manitou breakout. it has an integrated headset from what i can tell. it just does'nt have bearings in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fat mo
    It might have the lefty System Integrated cups in it still. My Caffeine hard tail did when I got the frame.

Does the fork have a 1.5 steerer, or a 1.125? (1-1/8th) If its the 1-1/8th then I highly suggest a Cane Creek Double XC II Flush head set. I just got one and it looks great. The frame itself has a 1.5 steerer since that's what the Lefties use, but the head set I used is a reducer to 1-1/8th since my fork has that.

Which you have determines which you need.

IF you have a 1.5 fork steerer then find a nice 1.5 headset. I don't know much about those.

But you do need to get those cups removed if you're not running a lefty.

Edit: didnt see the above post with the FSA headset recommendation. That looks like a nice one too. The Cane Creek is about twice the price, but it is a GREAT headset! It allowed me to lower my front end a good bit for climbing. You may have different concerns since you're building an AM full suspension. I am jealous of your frame btw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks alot guys. you have been a great help in getting me headed in the right direction. i think i may have figured it out. thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Prophet headset

I own a 2006 Prophet. They use 1.5 steerers so for 1-1/8" steerers you use a zero stack reducing headset. The best one is a Cane Creek XX Flush II. You can also use reducer cups.

Members who have read this thread: 0