mtbr member

Help!!! - Can't remove headshok (1993 Delta V)

I'm trying to remove the headshok on my 1993 Delta V 700 so I can send it down to Mendon CycleSmith to fix up with a DD60 cart (needs some mods, not just a drop in job).

Anyway, I found the websites with the procedure, seems so simple, just remove the stem, and it should drop out with the wood/mallet combo whack.

This shock seems different than the ones in those articles.
    (http://sheldonbrown.com/cannondale-headshok/index.html)
    (http://www.fastglass.net/bike/headshok/removal.html)

First of all, I have a the schrader valve sticking out of the top, which rotates to adjust damping. I can't see how that can be removed, or maybe I'm suppose to whack around it.
    I tried putting a piece of wood kinda next to on either side of the valve and whacking that, not budging. (I seriously doubt I'm suppose to whack the valve!)

I'm not whacking very hard at this point, as I'm not sure if this is the right procedure for this shock. It just don't seem right!!

Do those black rings at the top and/or bottom need to be loosened?
    Am I just not whacking hard enough?
    Maybe I need to fashion a pin spanner/castle tool and unscrew that piece by the holes on either side of the valve?

Here's some pics:

They didn't even call 'em Headshok's back then - the decals say "Delta V Suspension" - lol.
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-23-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    whack harder!

my was a little jammed like that, and just had to keep downward on it.

the 'black' things are part of your headset. leave them alone.

the wood idea is perfect. except hit on one side, and then the other. displace you impacts evenly and it should come out.

i'm sure there are others out there with tips, but i just used a hammer and was good to go.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just drill a hole through a piece of wood that allows the valve to go into. That way you can evenly whack the block until the fork comes out.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can't help you but it makes me remember my 93 Deltav 900, Sniff, sniff
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Just drill a hole through a piece of wood that allows the valve to go into. That way you can evenly whack the block until the fork comes out.

What he said.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys!
    That bit about drilling a hole through a piece if wood is brilliant - thanks Vitaccop.
    I'll try that tonight after work.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Every now and then I think of something good... and besides... I just wanted to say "whack wood"...

Ridin' dirty!
    Loosen the little hex screws first!
    Once lose the procedure will be much easier to do.
    Then just use a big flat rubber piece around the valve to protect the top cap and place a 19mm socket (Like for spark plugs or similar) on top of it and whack it hard with a rubber mallet.
    Should come right out then.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Got it!!
    I drilled a hole in the wood and whacked it.
    I had to whack my wood hard, but it came out.

Thanks!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Glad I could help. The next time you whack it out be sure to put a towel down to catch it so it doesn't hit the floor. Or better yet, have someone else standing by to help with their hands.

DNINIT
    What are you sending it off for again? I have a 93' Delta V 2000 with a bad head shock. I am going to have it removed and install a different type of fork unless there is a better idea.

mtbr member
    "What are you sending it off for again?"

Craig is gonna install a new DD60 cartridge to bring the old headshok back to life.
    Installing the cart requires a few mods that my LBS wont do (they'd have to think and stuff).
    FYI the fork weighed 2.8 lbs, shipped as a 6 lb package which only cost $10 from MA to NY.

The bottom line is that the parts, labor, round trip shipping are likely to come in at less than $200. Far cheaper than any other option, and it also maintains the original character of the bike as only the internals are changed (I couldn't see putting a regular shock on the thing!).

The LBS offered a new headshok through cannondale's fork trade program for $360 + labor.
    (does anyone one know MSRP for the headshoks? - this would have been the cheapest model. I think $360 might actually be a pretty good price, i just didn't wanna dump that much $$ into the old bike.)

Here's the original thread (that I kinda hijacked - sorry Darth) where we were discussing this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=399645

Hey lookie - I made it through the whole post without mentioning whacking wood!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

DNINIT
    So if im getting this straight Mendons will be replacing the internal pieces inside the head set keeping the bike stock looking? I would much rather do this then replace with a aftermarket fork. It sounds like your LBS is kinda like mine. They told me to sell mine to collector. Mine is a Delta V 2000 same year as yours i assume it would be the same fix.

mtbr member
    "So if im getting this straight Mendons will be replacing the internal pieces inside the head set keeping the bike stock looking?"

Yep!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

DNINIT
    Im thinking your 700 head set should be the same as my DV 2000. If thats the case Mendons will be getting another bike shipped to them.

Members who have read this thread: 0