Thread: Hello Lefty!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hello Lefty!!!

OK...... so let it be known that i'm not really one to use forums to rant and rave. I'm generally not opinionated and am never really inclined to share my thoughts with the masses. On this matter, however, I must. I finished building my new Taurine this weekend - in fact I posted it on the "post your taurine" forum - and I took it out for its first "real" mud in your face ride today. To give you a little bit of background, i'm an XC racer who has been riding a rock shox sid for the past few years because it offered light weight, decent reliability and to tell you the truth I never could really tell a performance difference between it and other forks. I decided to upgrade my frame this year and the Taurine seemed to fit the bill. As such, I indulged myself a little bit and got the speed carbon SL lefty. All I can say now is.....Wow!! What I can't figure out is why every cross country racer isn't on one of these. It is SHOCKINGLY stiffer, more responsive, precise, and even lighter than any previous XC fork I have ever ridden......and you get all that along with 110mm of travel as opposed to 80. Quite frankly, i'm speechless. I'm a firm believer that fitness, more than equipment, is going to get me to the finish line faster (and I still believe that), however, the lefty certainly gives more of an "advantage" than any other piece of equipment that i've ever used.

Avenger of Evil
    Shhhhhh! Don't tell everyone.
    The equipment does make a little bit of a difference. You don't want others to have this advantage, do you?
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

Ridin' dirty!
    Congrats!
    Welcome to the club!
    A lot of folks just think that the lefty is a marketing gimmick -to just be different or something, but once you have actually ridden a bike equipped with one it's really hard to go back to a traditional set up....
    With a Lefty you just "aim" and it follows...sounds funny, but a rider seems to become one with the bike....
    I rode my buddy's bike the other day, because he wanted to see what the Lefty hype is all about......that FOX fork of his felt like a cooked noodle compared to mine
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    Shhhhhh! Don't tell everyone.
    The equipment does make a little bit of a difference. You don't want others to have this advantage, do you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Seriously, have other companies tried to mess around with the idea of a strut? It just works so well, i'm surprised that there aren't more people out there trying to do the same thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by robhyldahl
    Seriously, have other companies tried to mess around with the idea of a strut? It just works so well, i'm surprised that there aren't more people out there trying to do the same thing.
    There's a manufacturer in England and I believe in Germany as well that tried something similar...anti dive or something...looked like an airplane strut with a folding type lever mechanism....pictures were posted here before....I'm just not sure about the name right now...
    Giant actually copied the lefty idea for their fold able urban bike not too long ago but I believe it was a righty not a lefty.
    (Cannondale actually makes one too..a non suspension righty fork.)

Ridin' dirty!
    Bingo! That's the one I meant!

mtbr member
    I'm a recent cannondale and lefty convert myself after YEARS of riding SID (98-07) Reba (06-07) and Fox (05-06) forks the difference that was felt with the lefty that came on my 08 Team Edition Scalpel is phenomenal. My previous biases of the looks and the anti-cannondale system integration that I was fed has all disappeared since my first real hard ride on the bike.

the reason I purchased a 08' Scalpel was because I wanted something that was between my 07 Scott Scale Ltd hard tail bike at 21lbs and my 07 Titus Racer X at 24lbs, I loved the speed and stiffness of the Scott and the travel and handling of the Titus but I wanted just one bike to do it all so...I rode a Scott Spark which is an excellent bike but I didn't like the goofy three position rear shock and how it sank down when going from each travel mode when I got on the Scalpel to test it was love after the first lap on the local trails.

I would suggest to anyone thinking of getting a new bike is to at least ride a lefty equipped cannondale Vs. any of a comparable model brand bike they are considering and they will be quickly sold as I was by the smoothness and excellent point and shoot tracking. Although it's not my type of riding for Texas those Rize and Moto bikes look like a lotta fun for a week in Crested Butte this summer.

mtbr member
    What I can't figure out is why every cross country racer isn't on one of these.

I've been riding lefties since 2000-2001 when I purchased a Jekyll. I then built a Turner O2 with sid team (toward the end of 2002) and road on like ten rides and had to get rid of it. I just couldn't stand the flexing up front. I think the answer to your question is that they just haven't ridden one.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Like Tony E. says, "those who ride know".
    A lot of my competition here in NM rides the Lefty SL, so they must know too. In fact the only people I know who rides a Lefty in these parts are the racers.
    From a physics standpoint, there really is no other choice unless you are going to 6" of travel or more. So I say "those who know ride a lefty"

Enjoy your Taurine robhyldahl.

mtbr member
    As a recent Cannondale convert I'll run by you things that I felt turned folks off on Cannondale bikes in the past including myself.

The whole "wheel" thing one of the main reasons in the past why I never really ventured into the cannondale camp. having to remove the wheel for transport is a giant hassle and you have to purchase and adaptor for the fork etc...etc...it seemed like a giant PITA but now I can do it petty quickly. Although all I've ever run on any of my bikes is mavic pre-built wheels some folks like the option of having a different hub and rim combo I've noticed that a couple manufactures do make lefty hubs but not DT Swiss and the over hyped Chris King stuff.

The Si / System Integration that cannondale has going on that many have misconceptions about, needs to have folks educated on, in the past CODA / Cannondale stuff meant cheap house brand to save money on, why put a Shimano XT crank on the bike when you can go chintzy with a CODA crank set and save a few bucks?

It wasn't until I actually felt the Si steerer & stem in my hands was I convinced same goes for the crank set although the 2x9 chain rings could use some work. The education of the consumer is the biggest hurdle in my opinion. It's a lot easier to sell a bike on the showroom and a parking lot test ride with full XTR and a Fox fork on it than it would be for a bike with Si stuff and a lefty fork...trust me I'm in sales and salespeople will always take the path of least resistance. It's a lot simpler to say "see it has a newest Fox XYZ fork cool eh?" than it to explain exactly why the lefty is a better design for front suspension.

This is just my opinion your mileage my vary.

mad aussie
    Lots of Scalpel 100's and a few Taurines at the NMBS race at McDowell Mountain Park this Sunday in the Expert/Semipro/Pro fields, that meants lots of Lefty's out there.

Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0