mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Headshok Won't Hold Pressure

Just bought a brand new F4 2 weeks ago. I've ridden it only a few times but on Sunday noticed the headshok had lost pressure and felt extremely soft. The tech at the store had said I should only have to air it up once every 6 months or so but it was definitely in need of some air and so I tried filling it up using my air compressor. The head would fill up to 90 PSI but then after putting the wheel on and testing it it was clearly down to around 25-30. Am I doing something wrong here? The owners manual I got online wasn't very helpful at all, really only let me know what pressure I need (90) and the max pressure (120).

I'm hoping nothing is busted and am trying to avoid a trip out to the bike shop if at all possible. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    "I tried filling it up using my air compressor"

First of all, you need a shock pump!

I use a Wrench Force because, well, that what the LBS had in stock.
    Works great on my headshok, lefty and Swinger 3-way

Last edited by jdr01930; 04-21-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mad aussie
    A shock pump is an essential purchase, if you use a compressor you tend to lose a lot of air when you disconnect the pump, not to mention you run the risk of blowing up the shock because it puts out a high volume of air. If it continues leaking I would suggest changing out the schrader valve core.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the help guys. Going to pick up a shock pump later today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSManning
    Thanks for the help guys. Going to pick up a shock pump later today.
    Also when you are pumping it up, add an extra 10-15 psi. Usually I lose 10-15 psi while I'm removing the pump from the valve after I have filled it up. The chamber is so small that even that little "pppppssssssss" for a fraction of a second can knock 10 psi or more out of your fork.

If your fork loses air pressure between rides or overnight then you have a problem. Rare, but it happens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yea just picked up a pump, was a bit worried when the guy at the shop said using compressors can sometimes blow the seals though. But everything seems to be working now, pump really is a breeze to use.

Members who have read this thread: 0