mtbr member
    Mar 2008

HeadShok R-bone: advice needed

My bike (Easy Rider, recumbent) has the r-bone series headshok. I would like to know how to take it off the bike, to maintain and lube it. It is working fine; just want to take care of it (other than cutting the ties, moving the boot, cleaning/lubing, then replacing the ties). Anyone with experience working on these, I would appreciate your experiences. C'dale says to send it to them. Thanks!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbbjb
    C'dale says to send it to them. Thanks!
    They, or a good shop that can do it locally are your best choices. It is possible to DIY, but to do more than what you've listed already, takes, multiple special tools, many small parts (some which are unique to their position, and require a stash of multiple sizes to replace correctly without placing an individual order each time) as well as an abundance of patience, and a good prior knowledge, so you don't end up making more work for yourself. Sorry, hate to be the rain on the parade, but it's the truth.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for your quick reply. Since the shock is working properly right now, I'll do the boot take-off (clean/lube). Since I haven't been able to find much specific info, do you know: 1. how long this kind of shock will last, given proper lube maintenance? and 2. how often (in riding miles) should the rubber boot be cleaned and the shaft lubed? 500 miles? Thank you again for your time and information.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It should last as long as you'd want it to. Headshocks are very rebuildable, so even when in bad disrepair, it's generally reversible. The damper cartridge is the only item that can eventually give you greif, due to lack of specialized parts, but taken care of, that won't be for many years. It not a matter of miles, I'd say once a year do a clean and grease on the area under the boot, check the boot regularly for tears, and replace immediately if you find one. A full service every two years should be fine.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thank you for responding; you advice greatly appreciated

Members who have read this thread: 0