mtbr member
    May 2007

Headset Reducer Cups Jekyll Gen 1

I just bought my son a small Jekyll frame. I plan to use the parts from his Gary Fisher to build it. I know this has been beat to death, but, I need headset reducer cups. The frame is a 2002 small Jekyll with the SI headset cups already installed. I have the complete 1 1/8 headset from the Fisher. I read there is a difference between the older Cannondale cup depth and the new cup depth. Can someone who has installed the reducer cups in an older frame give the exact brand (including part # if possible) so I can get it ordered? If not, can someone give me the info on a complete reducing headset that will fit the older frames? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I skipped the reducers and went with a Cane Creek Double XC Short headset - bout $78, but you end up with shorter stack height. You need the short - the regular has deeper flanges that won't insert completely into the headtube unless you grind them down. I only had experience with the older reducers on older frames, but seems like they were creaky, and could put extra leverage on the headtube.

I ordered mine from JensonUSA over a year ago - it's been flawless since with heavy riding. They appear to be out of stock for a couple of weeks though - http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ducing+Hs.aspx

Cambria appears to have them in stock - http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...EADSET+HEADSET

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm going with the Cane Creek headset. Will the SI cups on the frame have to be removed or does the Cane Creek headset set in them??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Cannondale cups need to be removed - the Cane is just like any other normal headset - just bigger. You can probably tap the Si cups out yourself with a long screwdriver & hammer from inside the headtube - or let your shop do it. The Cane headset cups will need to be pressed in with a headset press - if you don't have access to one, you'll need to have your shop do that as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0