mtbr member
    Jul 2010

give some good reasons I should buy a Cannondale!

Ok ,
    I can't make my mind between a new Rocky Mountain Element rsl 950 and the Scalpel
    alloy 3 2013! Both seem very nice bikes and frames ,both are made for speed and fast xc. both bikes have pros and cons for me like RM dealler is very faraway so if I need some work done or assistence I would be a problem .
    I have never owed a Cannondale ( my corrent ride is a Giant xtc ) but I'm really interested by the lefty fork and I really like the Scalpel 29 frame...
    I need some imput to decide for the Cannondale
    Why did you guys choose a Cannondale over let's say Santa Cruz or Niner... etc
    Also what's the deal about exchanging your older Cannondale frame for a new one ? How is that working?
    thanks in advance for your help and advice

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Lifetime warranty on frame to start and more subjective, good fitting geometry for my body type.

Music & Bikes
    +1 for the lifetime warranty , that's why I went with cannondale in the first place.

And the Lefty

I only have a 5 year warranty on my Monky Rotten , oh sorry , I meant Rocky Mountain.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    C'dale makes Sexy bikes... nuff said.
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    yea your are right but I can say the same for Yeti, Niner, Rocky Mountain...etc
    I want to know about frame quality, sospension, and what about this famous lefty that everybody rave about? To be onest I have never try one , but it looks so cool.
    thanks

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

All the brands you mentioned makes great bikes...
    At the end, the only proprietary design is the frame and all the rest are project manager "packaged" OEM components.

My suggestion is to test ride both bikes, then you will know what works for you.
    The fact that someone likes riding a certain bike, doesn't mean that you'll like it as well.
    You mentioned that the RM Bike shop is far from you, How is the Cannondale one?
    Can they provide a quick, good and inexpensive service ?

Regarding the warranty, check with your dealer
    Here in the USA, if you buy a new bikes from an authorized dealer, you get a lifetime warranty for the frame.
    So if there is a defect in the frame during the time that you, the original owner use it, you go back to the dealer and they will arrange that you get a new replacement frame as good or better than the one you originally purchased.

BTW, I just got a 2012 Scalpel 29 C1 today..
    It looks amazing and weights out of the LBS a tad over over 23 lbs.
    Last edited by StumpyElite2010; 10-14-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I bought my 2005 Badboy because it was made in the USA and the lifetime frame warranty. Just make sure that your LBS can service a Lefty fork.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks for all your advice,
    and yes the RM dealler si very faraway for me compare to the Cannondale one wich is my LBS, nice older man but his knoleg as far new bikes ,trends or technics is no the best and no forget about service a lefty fork!
    The positive side is that he is willing to work with me and give me a good price on the new 2013 Scalpel 29 3 alloy frame ( I asked him if I can just buy frame and lefty since I have all the other components, by the way how much do you think is a fair price for frame / lefty hibrid fork of the 2013 scalpel 29 3? ) .
    thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Having been on a Lefty equipped Cannondale for 5yrs now and say with confidence...it is the best performing fork I've riden to date and have been XC riding for over 20yrs.

Cannondale bikes fit me to perfection and handle better then other XC bikes I've owned.
    Bearing resets can be done by my daughter and takes minutes.
    There 29er offerings have low center of gravity " my Flash does" and shorter wheel base then others that i demoed making the transition seemless from 26".

Just Ride
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems that Niner bikes are overpriced compared to similar models with the same component spec. All the rest of the the brands are much closer in price to each other of similar spec. I have no facts to back that up, but at a glance this seems to be the case.

As others have said, +1 for the lifetime warranty!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    It's like those birds in Avatar, the Cannondale must choose you too!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    that's fair anough
    Can somebody explain to me what kind of rear suspension CANNONDALE uses on the Scalpel? It looks like a single pivot with some twiks on it, how is that compare to Maestro,VVP,DW link etch..
    thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    - Life time frame Warranty

- Cool designs/looks

- Quality components, even on entry level bikes.

That and they can handle my abuse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lifetime warranty
    Lefty
    Quality

And yes, Scalpel suspension is a single pivot design, with it pros & cons.

Go for it!
    Just try to be happy and smile every day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    if you see both bikes wich one you look more at? well..that should be the one ...

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by italianbike74 View Post
    that's fair anough
    Can somebody explain to me what kind of rear suspension CANNONDALE uses on the Scalpel? It looks like a single pivot with some twiks on it, how is that compare to Maestro,VVP,DW link etch..
    thanks
    To be honest, I prefer the RM over the cannondale....
    The RM has internally routed cables, 2 water bottle mounts and the rear suspension seems to be a horst link "clone" so it looks to be more active than the cannondale's SP with fancy linkages....
    Since you can buy an adapter for the lefty fork and mount it on the RM, there is no reason you "have" to buy a cannondale bike just because you like to try a Lefty.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    eaing about internal cable routing, do you know why Cannondale decided not to use it on their frames, not even for the top of the line carbon Scalpel?
    It looks like alot of company are moving in that direction .
    What are the benefits anyway beside a cleaner look and less cables arround?
    thanks

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by italianbike74 View Post
    eaing about internal cable routing, do you know why Cannondale decided not to use it on their frames, not even for the top of the line carbon Scalpel?
    It looks like alot of company are moving in that direction .
    What are the benefits anyway beside a cleaner look and less cables arround?
    thanks
    Lesser chances of cable rub is the biggest benefit....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    what are the differences between 2012 / 2013 frame?
    The scalpel 29 3 2012 /2013 look the same, same colors etch..
    can somebody give me some details about the 2013 bike Vs the 2012?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    hey i'm new here, but in response to the last question, not sure about frame geometry, but I think the lefty was upgraded on the scalpel 1, 2, and 3. I've read (on mtbr) that it is possibly more reliable, and a little more fluid. I have no person experience with it though... Late reply to an old thread.....

mtbr member
    Here is my reason.
    2013 Trigger 29er-1

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

give some good reasons I should buy a Cannondale!

Lefty. IMHO internal cable routing does have an effect on the rigidity of the frame. How much is hard to say. I personally don't car for it. Makes servicing harder and I have never had issues with external routing. Again that's just an opinion .... I love all my Cdales and will prolly ride them till I can't ride any more

mtbr member
    i bought the cannondale jekyll because of the fit and the aggressive design.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

Members who have read this thread: 0